Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20690 Discussions

2 external monitors, display driver crashes after Windows turns off displays, then tries to turn them back on

kken2
Novice

Windows 10 power settings shuts off all computer screens after x minutes.

specs:

Asus G501vw notebook

i7 6700hq, HD530, optimus gtx960m,

AOC U2879G6 4k monitor connected to thunderbolt 3 usb-c hdmi 2.0 adapter

Asus Vh238 1080p monitor connected to hdmi 1.4 port

Latest non-beta intel graphics driver.

Total 3 screens with extended desktop.

After the screens are shut off by Windows power management, I press a key to wake up the laptop and external monitor screens.

I get the intel graphics crash/recovered error message, and a lot of screen blinking as it is trying to find the 4k monitor and restore the triple monitor configuration.

Half the time, it fails to connect to the 4k monitor, as if it can't wake it up. Then it reverts to a 2 screen configuration.

half the time, the other 2 screens (notebook + 1080p) monitor just blink and blink until finally the 4k monitor turns back on and the triple monitor setup is restored.

And even if the 4k monitor manages to wake up, Intel drivers still flash all 3 screens for a bit longer like it's having a seizure.

Intel graphics driver seems to have a hard time handling triple displays.

It's like it can't do a proper handshake with the external monitors.

Similar thing happens in when laptop + 1080p monitor + 4k samsung tv.

Upon waking the screens up, it will momentarily restore the normal triple monitor configuration, and then after 3 seconds, it will drop the 4k TV and go to dual monitor configuration.

I have to manually select the triple monitor profile again to restore the original triple configuration I had.

TL;DR...

Intel graphics drivers are unable to keep my monitor configuration after screens go to sleep.

Must manually restore profile.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Link626,

Could you please fill out the information asked in this site, and attach the information?

/thread/77761 https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761

Regards,

Hellen.

0 Kudos
kken2
Novice

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Asus G501vw notebook

i7 6700hq, HD530, optimus gtx960m, thunderbolt 3.

AOC U2879G6 4k monitor connected to Dell usb-c hdmi 2.0 adapter

Asus Vh238 1080p monitor connected to hdmi 1.4 port

Latest beta intel graphics driver.

Total 3 screens with extended desktop.

After the screens are put to sleep by Windows power management, I press a key to wake up the laptop and external monitor screens.

I get the intel graphics crash/recovered error message, and a lot of screen blinking as it is trying to find the 4k monitor and restore the triple monitor configuration.

Does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?

If you can offer a % rate please do.

sometimes.

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

asus g501vw

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?<td style="padding: 0 5.4pt; border-right-width: 1pt; border-bottom-width: 1pt; border-style: none solid solid none; border-right-color: windowtext; border-bottom-color: windowtext; font-style: inh...
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Link626,

Thanks for the information; we are working on this issue as soon as the new driver is released I will let you know.

Regards,

Hellen.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Link626,

I apologize for the time you have to wait with no answer; in the following link you will find the latest Intel Graphics Diver Version.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25948/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-40-?product=88967 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25948/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-40-?product=88967

Please let me know if it helps you.

Regards,

Hellen.

0 Kudos