5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2016 12:33 PM by Amy_Intel

intel i5 6500 underperforming

Yakob

Ever since Sunday my processor maxes out its usage from just moving around a window in chrome or another application. I used to be able to play games while having Chrome open on my other monitor perfectly fine, but now I can barely even scroll down a website without the processor hitting 100% usage. My computer was built in December and I have had absolutely no problems with it until now. I have confirmed that it is not overheating, and that I do not have any malware or virus's after multiple scans with different software. I ran the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool and it passed every test. I'm at a loss of what could be the cause. Chat told me to run my computer without one of my 8GB ram sticks, or without my Nvidia gtx 970, but I have checked both of those and neither of them are anywhere near max load so I don't think they are the cause.

What do you think is wrong? Thanks.

Specs: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970, Windows 10.

• 1. Re: intel i5 6500 underperforming
          YseGuy

This troubleshooting guide might help you. If not, there's more on the topic to be found, just do a Google search with a query like "Chrome CPU usage".

• 2. Re: intel i5 6500 underperforming
            Yakob

It's not just chrome though. I can't play any games either because they all run at 20 fps, and even other small programs will max out the cpu.

• 3. Re: intel i5 6500 underperforming
              YseGuy

Ok first you should try to determine if it's a hardware or a software problem.

Things you could try to isolate possible causes are

• Check if the OS is utilizing all of your CPU's cores, and if those cores are activated (ie not parked; check in task manager / ressource monitor / with a 3rd party tool like CPU-Z or HWInfo)
              • Check if the CPU's cores are running at max speed under load (eg during a stress test like Prime95), and don't get throttled due to overheating
              • Temporarily disable all power saving functions on OS level (power plan "High Performance"); check if the problem persists
              • Temporarily disable all power saving functions of your CPU in your motherboard's BIOS; check if the problem persists
              • Boot into Windows Safe Mode; check if the problem persists
              • Try to revert back to a Windows restore point created before the problem surfaced (this should be considered a last resort, since you might lose registry settings and thus software installed after the time the restore point was created could cease to function properly)

Some advice on analyzing this kind of issue can be found here:  How to Check CPU Throttling in Windows 10

• 4. Re: intel i5 6500 underperforming
                Yakob

I solved my issue with resetting windows 10. I think I was backdoored and just didn't know where to look in the registry. Thanks for your help anyway.

• 5. Re: intel i5 6500 underperforming
                  Amy_Intel

Hello, All:

YseGuy, thank you for your feedback.

Yakob, please let us know if the suggestion above worked.

Regards,