1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2016 2:51 PM by Intel Corporation

I Need NUC6i5SY Advice

H2ooh

I'm sure most folks on this forum are a lot wiser about new product woes and trials than I am. I need some feedback.

After three weeks of frustration, I RMA'd my first 6I5SYK and I'll be receiving a new on this week. I don't really enjoy troubleshooting hardware that much. And it would be nice to get my HTPC project up and running.

I love the NUC packaging and concept. But.... it's gotta work.

Do you think the bugs will be worked out in the next 30 days? Or is this dance gonna go on for six months or so?

• 1. Re: I Need NUC6i5SY Advice
          snowpine

Users of 5th generation NUCs didn't have their problems solved in 30 days.

Maybe 6th generation will be different?

• 2. Re: I Need NUC6i5SY Advice
            SebasF1

This is my first and last Intel NUC. I bought a couple of years ago a Gigabyte Brix NUC to my father in law and is still working fine.

• 3. Re: I Need NUC6i5SY Advice
              H2ooh

Original post date on replacement NUC6i5SY........

Received new NUC6i5SY two days ago. It's been running since then on the bench in my HTPC* configuration. No hiccups yet

The only BIOS change I made was to go from the 0033 to 0036.

* Win 10, PlayOn, NextPVR, HDHomeRun, VideoLAN, Chrome Browser, and Chrome Remote Desktop. I have yet to load Argus TV, Kodi, and MCEBuddy.

* Hardware is 250GB m.2 Samsung 850 SSD, 4X2GB DDR4, NAS RAID, wired mouse, KB, network cable and HDMI to HP w2338h monitor.

• 4. Re: I Need NUC6i5SY Advice
                Intel Corporation
                This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hi all,

Thank you for joining the Intel communities.

I’m sorry for any inconvenience you all have had with your unit.

At this moment I still don’t know the issues you are experiencing and I will appreciate if you let us know to better assist you.

H2ooh is your replacement still working fine or do you still have problem?

Please be aware that if you are experiencing problems with the unit I’m in my best position to help you as much as I can and also be aware that Intel provides three years warranty for any defective unit from the moment you make the purchase.

Best wishes,

Ivan

• 5. Re: I Need NUC6i5SY Advice
                  H2ooh

Still running.... no problems!

• 6. Re: I Need NUC6i5SY Advice
                    Intel Corporation

Thank you for the information and I hope you can have a better experience from now on.

Regards,

Ivan

• 7. Re: I Need NUC6i5SY Advice
                      H2ooh

Update: 220316-11:56...220316 ... Woke up NUC and tried to play a PlayOn video.  No sound, mute was off, then a freeze-up. I had to force power off, then I rebooted and mute was ON. I turned off mute. The sound and video played back fine.

• 8. Re: I Need NUC6i5SY Advice
                        Intel Corporation

Hi H2ooh,

We appreciate you have had the time to POST this information.

I know that maybe you are tired of doing troubleshooting especially with a new unit that you purchased expecting to be working as it is suppose to, but have you tried or do you have the latest BIOS version installed? If not, I suggest downloading and update your BIOS, please see F7 BIOS Update Instructions for Intel® NUC

Also, I recommend having Windows up to date and to update the graphics driver, you can download the latest Beta driver here:
                        Intel® Beta Graphics Driver for Windows® 7/8.1/10* [15.40]

Regards,

Ivan

• 9. Re: I Need NUC6i5SY Advice
                          Intel Corporation

Hi,

I'm just following on this thread to ask you if our recommendations solved your problem, so we can either close this thread or to continue with further assistance.

Thanks,

Ivan

• 10. Re: I Need NUC6i5SY Advice
                            H2ooh

HDMI sound problem fixed with Intel® Beta Graphics Driver for Windows® 7/8.1/10* [15.40]  ... thanks.

But.... I put the unit into service today and switched from a wired keyboard and mouse to a LogiTech K270 keyboard and mouse. The K270 keyboard is one that operates flawlessly on two other windows machines and the NUC 6i5 that I RMA's earlier. I noticed a little hesitation in both keyboard and mouse operation when using it on the bench at less than 12" from the USB button on the current NUC.

In service when the keyboard is more than 2 feet from the NUC CPU the keyboard and mouse is very flaky and unusable. The same thing happens with a new Logitech MK360 set.

Both the K270 and the MK360 wireless setups work flawlessly at 20 feet with three other Windows computers.

I have tried all four ports on the NUC6i5... no joy, all are unusable at over 2-3 feet distance. Distance between the plasma TV set and the NUC CPU doesn't make a difference either.

• 11. Re: I Need NUC6i5SY Advice
                              Venom12

Hi.

I had the same Problem with my NUC6i5SYH. But i think it is just the well known Problem of USB 3.0 to disturb wireless connections.

I could reduce the problem by using an usb extension cable for the usb receiver.

• 12. Re: I Need NUC6i5SY Advice
                                Intel Corporation

I was testing the unit with a wireless keyboard but I did not experience any issues.

The model that I use is Logitech K270 which is the one you have and mouse Logitech M185 they worked fine.

I have installed the BIOS version 0042, try to update it to this version, you can download it here:
                                https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25913/BIOS-Update-SYSKLi35-86A-?product=89188

Please see F7 BIOS Update Instructions for Intel® NUC

Regards,

Ivan

• 13. Re: I Need NUC6i5SY Advice
                                  H2ooh

I had an old USB-2.0 1-ft extension cable on hand.... I tried it and it cured the problem. Keyboard and mouse operate reliably at 25-foot range.

I think the wireless USB button is probably too close to the goings-on in the NUC case.

As to the culprit... my money is on the HDD cabling.

If anyone has the time they might try with and without the HDD installed.

I'm satisfied with the USB pigtail workaround.

• 14. Re: I Need NUC6i5SY Advice
                                    H2ooh

Is your test unit an SKH with a HDD installed?  I had no problems with an SKY and only noticed the problem with my SKH after installing a 2TB HDD in the 2.5" HDD bay.

As a side note and probably not related to the USB problem.... I had some difficulty with Win 10 recognizing the 2.5" HDD drive. It showed OK in the NUC BIOS and in Win 10's device manager but not in the file manager. I had to reformat the drive and wake up the file manager to get it to show.

1 2 Previous Next