1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2016 10:40 AM by Intel Corporation

6i5SYH/K and 6i3SYH/K NUC problems (update of BIOS brick the unit, WHEA errors, impossible to install OS) considering also recent news, Hynix based ram compatible or not?

Topix

Hi to all,

Yesterday I have read, as others I suppose, a review of the 6i5SYK on an external website and these are my thoughts after examining the situation that they have described:

On anandtech website review of the 6i5SYK the reviewer had some problems, identical of what some users here on the forum have already exposed in the last weeks: BSOD during the install of OS, NUC bricked during update of the bios, GPU driver problems and occasional lost of 5Ghz Wi-Fi.

I welcomed that on his unit (v036) he doesn't have any abnormal high temperatures problem, probably the firmware has solved the fan stop issue.But what is interesting is the following (again from the same review):

“Fortunately, Intel had already seen such issues and indicated that it was due to the DDR4 SODIMM being based on 2133 MHz Hynix modules.

and also

“they were already aware of the issues prior to our report.Compatibility issues with SODIMMs using Hynix memory modules that might make installing Windows impossible and even BIOS flashing fraught with risk

I NEVER read a phrase like this regarding Hynix modules by Intel people on this forum and never on Intel support page also.

So, I ask Intel people if he has written something wrong or if during your contact with the reviewer you have told him this info and in this case would you like to share also the same info with us?

I'm sure that you can perfectly understand my disappoint when I have read that the reviewer of anandtech website receive such a so definitive answer (by Intel?) during his review of the product when we have asked here many times to give us some hint about what could cause these problems.

Then we have the second problem that is directly related to the first, the BIOS update to v0036. About this the same review says:

“The latest BIOS - 0036 - has a new setting in BIOS (Memory tab in Performance) for Round Trip Latency. Disabling this would apparently allow for these SODIMMs to work      properly

and also

“Disabling this would apparently allow for these SODIMMs to work properly. Unfortunately for us, the BIOS update process ended up getting hung, and a power cycle after 20      minutes bricked the unit

Again I NEVER seen on the forum a post by Intel people that says that the Round Trip Latency optimization is to be unchecked ONLY by Hynix based SODIMM users. To be honest I have seen Intel suggested for all the users first to set it ON then to set if OFF and regarding this in a previous post https://communities.intel.com/thread/99836 I have asked some more info about this (also I have asked to know what this optimization actually does for better understand it) but till now no answer...

Now the question/consideration that I think will interest others too in case they are new owner of this NUC (like me) or if maybe they have received a new unit as a substitution:

I have in front of me a brand new NUC unopened (probably at the moment v028) and a Kingston HyperX 2x8GB kit that is hynix based, the same hynix modules on it of what Intel indicated in their compatibility list as compatible (if someone have another brand of ram but with hynix chips on it the same apply).

I want to update the bios as first thing using an external pendrive, how can I apply on mine the BIOS v036, that apparently could have some fix for them, if this update has to be done starting from BIOS v028 that is without fix and so that could brick the unit during update??? I think that what could happen is the same that happened at the reviewer of anandtech and from what I have understand already happened also to some users here on the forum...high probability to brick the NUC!

It is normal that this could happen because we try to do an update at the same time when we have problems with ram even if we don't know it....or not? At the moment Intel ask us to update the bios but don't tell us if there is a or not a risk when our ram is hynix based.

Intel have written on their support list (and still there are on it) that hynix modules are supported, and now it is again the same?

If they changed their mind, now what ram exactly do we have to use? Because if this is the situation I'm a bit confused because as you know, for example Corsair could be based on hynix or samsung with the same product id and it's impossible to know what we will receive when we order them (just an example because I remember this but probably this is true for other brands too)...what a mess...

Now, a last consideration...

I would like to tell Intel people that maybe during the project of these two NUC models they should have consider more that because these NUCs are not overclocking machines and they don't share also the same CPU/GPU power, even their setup complexity should not be the same and because of this probably a broader hardware support regarding ram and hdd/ssd should have be first priority.

It's absurd that now we are in this trouble when we should only add to it 1 or 2 sticks of ram and an HDD/SSD. I hope it is clear what I mean, maybe if I have to setup my enthusiast/overclocking/gaming machine I consider running some troubles but I know that before...in this case I have decided to setup something different a lot more simplier but...

This is my first NUC, I have believed in the NUC format idea from Intel and so I decided to try it because I was thinking that it could cover some of my needs however not with all this mess...

1 2 Previous Next