Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20632 Discussions

Intel Graphics Control Panel doesn't open after driver update

RAhme5
Beginner

I have Dell Inspiron 15R running Windows 8 64-bit with switchable graphics (Intel HD Graphics 4400 + AMD Radeon HD 8850M). I was using the stock drivers for both graphics cards until today. I decided to do the driver update to the Intel card (version 10.18.14.4264) that I've been delaying for a while. The AMD card had no new updates so no change happened to it.

Both the cards are identified in the Windows Device Manager and seems to be working properly. The only problem now is that Intel Graphics Control Panel disappeared from my right-click menu and from the system tray as well. I can find it in the Start menu but whenever I try to open it, it just doesn't open anymore. The AMD Catalyst Control Center is working properly however.

This is strange because I used to have both working together without any problems before I update my Intel card.

My question is: Is that normal or is there something wrong with my system now?

Is it because I have switchable graphics so my system now disables the Intel control panel with the new driver version for instance?

Also, do I really need the Intel Control Panel anyway?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
IUman
Honored Contributor II

Hello ramy.a,

Thank you for joining the Intel communities.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html Intel's generic graphics drivers from the Intel Web site do not work on some computers that support Switchable Graphics. It depends on your computer's hardware configuration.

If you encounter problems using the generic driver, Intel recommends reinstalling the latest validated driver from your computer manufacturer for your system.

Best wishes,

Ivan

0 Kudos
RAhme5
Beginner

Hi ivanu_intel

Thanks for the reply.

Actually I installed the driver update that was available through my Windows recommended updates. So if I'm not wrong, that should be a tailored update for my device and not a generic driver. Even more, that new version (10.18.14.4264) I installed is not even available on the Intel website. The latest driver I found on the website for my system is version (10.18.14.4251) which an older version. So that's another indicator that the version I installed through Windows updates is not a generic driver. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW I even tried installing the version on the website as well but the same problem remained so I switched back to the version I got through the Windows updates.

Thank you,

Ramy

0 Kudos
IUman
Honored Contributor II

Please see if this problem can be solved following the instructions posted by another customer at the following link:

/thread/52670?start=0&tstart=0 https://communities.intel.com/thread/52670?start=0&tstart=0

See post 2

0 Kudos