4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2016 10:10 AM by drw

I am having a problem with Intel HD Graphics Drivers crashing and recovering on my Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga (Windows 10, 64 bit).  And my machine will not install the beta driver.  Please advise.

drw

I am having a problem with Intel HD Graphics Drivers crashing and recovering on a new Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga (Windows 10, 64 bit).  This appears to be a problem many others are having on different machines.  The current driver on my machine is the Intel HD graphics 520.  When I try to install the beta driver manually, following the instructions you have posted on this site, my computer tells me that "the best driver software for your device is already installed.  Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date.  Intel (R) HD Graphics 520."  For what it's worth, the crashing/recovery of the driver seems to be happening primarily when I use Corel WordPerfect.  But it's happening frequently enough that it's a serious nuisance.  Please advise.

• 1. Re: I am having a problem with Intel HD Graphics Drivers crashing and recovering on my Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga (Windows 10, 64 bit).  And my machine will not install the beta driver.  Please advise.
          EstebanC_Intel

Hello, drw:

Thank you for contacting the Intel Communities.

This error could be caused by different things, lets find out what could be the possible reason.

-Is this happening with an specific application or program? How often?

-If you use a similar software to perform a task, does the system have the same behavior?

Additionally, which drivers have you tested?

Have you tested the drivers provided by your OEM?

Please provide me with the driver versions tested and the driver provider (where you downloaded in from).

I look forward to your reply on this.

Regards,

Esteban C

• 2. Re: I am having a problem with Intel HD Graphics Drivers crashing and recovering on my Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga (Windows 10, 64 bit).  And my machine will not install the beta driver.  Please advise.
            drw

Esteban,

My answers to your questions are in CAPS below...

Is this happening with an specific application or program? How often?  IT HAS HAPPENED PRIMARILY WHEN I AM USING COREL WORDPERFECT, THOUGH IT HAS HAPPENED A FEW TIMES WHEN USING ADOBE ACROBAT READER DC AS WELL.  IT HAPPENS, ON AVERAGE, A COUPLE OF TIMES AN HOUR.  FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH, I ALMOST ALWAYS GET THE FAILURE/RECOVERY ALERT TWICE IN IMMEDIATE SUCCESSION (I.E., THE SCREEN FREEZES, THEN FLICKERS, GOES BLACK, THEN GIVES THE ALERT NOTIFICATION, THEN GIVES THE ALERT NOTIFICATION A SECOND TIME IMMEDIATELY THEREAFTER).  MOST OF THE TIME, THE SCREEN COMES BACK ONLINE AFTER THAT, AND I CAN GO BACK TO WORK, THOUGH THERE HAVE BEEN A COUPLE OF TIMES WHEN THE PROGRAM I WAS USING STOPPED RESPONDING AND I HAD TO REBOOT.

-If you use a similar software to perform a task, does the system have the same behavior?

SINCE THERE IS NO OTHER SOFTWARE FOR WORKING IN WPD OR PDF FILES, I CAN'T SAY.

Additionally, which drivers have you tested?

IT'S HARD FOR ME TO ANSWER THIS.  AFTER I HAD THIS PROBLEM A FEW TIMES, I UPDATED THE DRIVERS FOR THE DISPLAY ADAPTER USING THE WINDOWS  "UPDATE DRIVER SOFTWARE" COMMAND WITHIN DEVICE MANAGER.  I DO NOT KNOW WHAT THE ORIGINALLY INSTALLED DRIVERS WERE, NOR CAN I TELL YOU WHAT WINDOWS UPDATED THE DRIVERS TO, EXCEPT THAT WHEN I TRIED UPDATING THEREAFTER I ALWAYS GOT A MESSAGE SAYING I HAD THE MOST UPTODATE DRIVERS.  THEN I INSTALLED THE BETA DRIVERS FROM INTEL (Beta 15.40.18.4380).  I HAVE NOT TRIED GETTING DRIVERS FROM LENOVO, THOUGH I SUSPECT THOSE OEM DRIVERS WERE THE DRIVERS THAT WERE ORIGINALLY INSTALLED ON THE MACHINE.

Have you tested the drivers provided by your OEM?

I HAVE NOT TRIED GETTING DRIVERS FROM LENOVO, THOUGH I SUSPECT IT WAS THE OEM DRIVERS THAT WERE ORIGINALLY INSTALLED ON THE MACHINE.  I'M NOT SURE HOW TO VERIFY THAT, THOUGH.

Please provide me with the driver versions tested and the driver provider (where you downloaded in from).

HMMM...WHERE WOULD DRIVERS COME FORM IF YOU GOT THEM USING THE WINDOWS UPDATE FEATURE?  YOU'RE MORE LIKELY TO KNOW THE ANSWER TO THAT THAN I AM.  IF THERE IS A WAY TO FIND THIS INFORMATION ON MY MACHINE, LET ME KNOW, AND I'LL SEND YOU A SCREEN SHOT.  WHEN I UPDATED TO THE INTEL BETA DRIVERS, I GOT THEM FROM INTEL (Download Intel® Beta Graphics Driver for Windows® 7/8.1/10* [15.40])

Thank you for your help.  I know you guys are getting slammed with this problem, and I feel for you.  It's been pretty frustrating on my end, though, and I really appreciate your help trying to resolve it.

• 3. Re: I am having a problem with Intel HD Graphics Drivers crashing and recovering on my Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga (Windows 10, 64 bit).  And my machine will not install the beta driver.  Please advise.
              EstebanC_Intel

Hello, drw:

Thank you for the information provided.

The driver version can be found in the device manager, my apologies for not including this in my previous answer.

Right click in the start button, select device manager, look for display adapters, right click on properties and go to driver tab.

I would like you to test the behavior of your system with the graphics drivers provided by your OEM, here you can find them:Laptops :: ThinkPad X Series laptops :: X1 Yoga (Type 20FQ, 20FR) Laptop (ThinkPad) - Lenovo Support (US)

Please go to pick a component and select "Display and Video Graphics".

About my question: "If you use a similar software to perform a task, does the system have the same behavior?"

What I was trying to find out was, is this happenign while you are doing some other tasks? Meaning other use given to the computer (browsing, watching videos, etc).

I look forward to your outcome with this.

Regards,

Esteban C

• 4. Re: I am having a problem with Intel HD Graphics Drivers crashing and recovering on my Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga (Windows 10, 64 bit).  And my machine will not install the beta driver.  Please advise.
                drw

Esteban,

I loaded the driver provided by the OEM (see attached image), and continued to have the problem.  I then saw a message posed by one of your Intel colleagues, indicating that a new beta driver had been released to address this problem.  I loaded this driver (Beta 15.40.20.4404), and, unfortunately, continue to have the problem.  In fact, if anything, I would say I am having the problem more frequently with the new driver.  In response to one of your previous questions, I have had the problem primarily when using Corel WordPerfect, and to a lesser extent when using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.  I spend most of my time on the machine using these two programs so it is possible that it is just statistically more likely that this is where the problem would manifest.

OEM driver screen shot.PNG