3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2016 6:32 AM by hausmeister99

NUC6I5SYH - BIOS 0036 WYSIWG ? For get it !

hausmeister99

Hi,

I have to say I never saw a buggy BIOS like this before!

WYSIWG (what you see is what you get)? Forget it!

1. As an example, I lost sometimes the menu (F2, F7, F10) at boot although I have checked (selected) it at the BIOS and saw it there as checked... I have to uncheck it, safe the changes (F10) and some when later at one of the next reboots I have to recheck and safe it again to get it back...
      2. Also, I disabled the boot from LAN and this was shown at the BIOS, but at F10 (the Boot Menu) sometimes it exists, sometimes not... I had to do the same procedure as at the menu (F2, F7, F10)...
      3. Or if I disable the "Portable Device Charging Mode" it will let the power at this one port also at power off via windows 7... same procedure...
        (BTW: my "Samsung SSD Portable T1 500GB USB 3.0" is significant slower at Acronis True Image using this port (I'm not sure if only with enabled Charging Mode))
      4. ...

Another example, sometime the "3 sec pressing procedure" at the power button works to get the "extended" menu (ESC, F2, F4, F7, F10, F12) at boot, sometimes not...

Also if I press the power button during boot, at the bios-setup or at the boot-menu the nuc doesn't seems to power off (like at windows 7) because there is power at the USB-ports (e.g. I can see it at the usb2.0 hub I use for the HID-dongles)... I have to say I don't like it...

Another story is

1. I can't select the priority between UEFI and Lagacy boot (UEFI is before Lagacy)
      2. Because of 1. I'm at the moment only at Lagacy, but, something I also don't like, it lost the Boot Drive Order although I have checked "Boot USB Devices First" and I got the Information by AIDA64 that the SD reader is connected via USB7 (so every time I change the SD it will first boot from the internal SSD... not very comfortable to do at boot F10 every time I want to boot from SD... if AIDA64 is wrong with the USB7 then you have to implement something like the "Boot USB Devices First" for the SD)

AND SO ON...

Greetings

• 1. Re: NUC6I5SYH - BIOS 0036 WYSIWG ? For get it !
          hausmeister99

BTW

NUC6I5SYH

• Kingston HyperX Impact DDR4 16GB : 2 x 8GB (HX421S13IBK2/16) (DRAM from SK Hynix)
          • SAMSUNG SSD 250GB 850 EVO M.2 (MZ-N5E250BW)
          • BIOS 0036
          • Version: H81131-502
          • Batch: CNG65CJ24E
          • DoM: 21DEC2015
          • Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
          • 2. Re: NUC6I5SYH - BIOS 0036 WYSIWG ? For get it !
            mikec_intel

Hi hausmeister99,

It is possible to boot from the internal M.2 or 2.5” drives or from external USB or external drive; the option from a SD card is not possible.

Now, if you want to use USB drives at 3.0, it is necessary to reinstall the operating system with UEFI and Legacy options checked. (both). Format the USB drive at GPT then, install the operating system image.

It is possible to disable the Portable Device Charging Mode of the orange USB port:
            Go to BIOS>Advanced>Devices>USB and change Portable Device Charging Mode to “Off”

If you want to disable USB power from standby and sleep mode:
            Go to BIOS>Advanced>Power>Secondary Power Settings and uncheck the option: “USB S4/S5 Power”

Intel noted random issues with some memories; please do this work around and keep us posted with your findings.
            Go to BIOS>Advanced>Performance>Memory> and uncheck the option Round Trip Latency Optimization

Regards,
            Mike C

• 3. Re: NUC6I5SYH - BIOS 0036 WYSIWG ? For get it !
              hausmeister99

Unbelievable… the same standard bulls*** answers as like at https://communities.intel.com/thread/99770

That's an insolence … one more argument to cancel the order, send the nuc back and never again an intel…