Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14527 Discussions

Surface Pro 4| i7-6650U | BSOD when GPU is used. Unit replaced but issues remain.

PTuin
Beginner

Time to get to the source; The magicians at Intel.

Short version:

My Surface Pro 4 with Core i7-6650U / Intel Iris Pro 540 crashes with a BSOD (WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR) when GPU accelerated desktop applications like Adobe Illustrator or Adobe Photoshop are used. I Already got the unit replaced by Microsoft but still the problem remains.Games run fine (DirectX)

Long version:

I tried to get the message trough at Microsoft but both expertise and communication within the helpdesk seem to be... "poor". Swapping and/or reinstalling seems to be the only "solution" to what seems to be a hardware/driver issue in all Surface Pro 4 models running the mighty i7-6650U CPU.

The problem occurs when working with Adobe illustrator (CC/2015), Adobe Photoshop or even Paint shop pro X8 with hardware acceleration. Drop shadows in illustrator show strange artifacts right off the bat and zooming in and out seems to stresses the GPU (Iris Pro 540) and causes it to freak out completely with a BSOD. The tablet doesn't get hot at all, it just freezes for a few seconds, with just enough time for me to say "here we go again.." and then the BSOD pops up.

Games and even GPU stress tests like furmark run fine, so it seems desktop applications have another way of accessing and stressing the GPU.

What i've tried:

• Reinstall the factory image and installing all windows updates.
  • Manually install the latest intel graphics drivers ( Beta 15.40.18.4380) trough device manager. (great to have the intel control panel back again!)
  • Swearing and crying
  • Fresh install without any additional software, just Adobe illustrator

I've read some issues about users complaining about this BSOD when stressing the GPU with games like GTA5 or the new Tomb raider. They hinted at the GPU being fed too much power so it shuts itself down to prevent being damaged.

As Microsoft seems to have no clue on this (quite common) bug in the Surface pro 4, I would like to ask the kind people at Intel to take a look into this issue.

The hardware is perfectly capable and suitable for what i need to get done professionally.

Thanks in advance!

Paul from the Netherlands.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I would like to replicate this issue, I need additional information about your graphics issue. Please fill out the following form that will provide more details and step by step information about this problem:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Download Intel® System Support Utility

Allan.

0 Kudos
PTuin
Beginner

Dear Allan,

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?

If you can offer a % rate please do.

Yes, every time. Sometimes it takes a few seconds, sometime a minute.

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Microsoft Surface Pro 4

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

N/A

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

LFP

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

<td style="padding: 0 5.4pt; ...
0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for the information. I am currently researching on this issue. As soon as I can, I will send you a message with my findings.

Allan.

0 Kudos
PTuin
Beginner

Hi Allan,

Good news! The newest beta driver update (15.40.20.4404) seems to have solved all problems. Drop-shadows are now displayed correctly and a cannot reproduce the BSOD anymore. On top of that i notice a increase in performance both in illustrator and other desktop apps in general.

This week i'll switch to the Surface Pro for my design and see how it holds up. If i notice any other graphics related issues i will let you know.

With kind regards,

Paul

0 Kudos
PTuin
Beginner

Update:

15.40.20.4404 is my best friend. However our.. "friends" at Microsoft rolled out a new display driver today that installed automatically. After the reboot the BSOD's were back again. Luckily rolling back to 4404 was easy.

Sadly there seems no way to completely block the automatic update/ installation of display drivers via Windows Update. You can only choose a delayed installation at the next reboot.

Ah well... at least there's an easy workaround until Microsoft rolls-out their own version of the 4404 drivers.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I am glad your computer is working again with driver version 4404.

Allan.

0 Kudos