Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Intel 530 HD BSOD or black screen

VC1
Novice

Hi,

I have a great laptop for you to test your Intel 530 HD driver: this acer VN7-592G-5306 (Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6300HQ CPU @ 2.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.3GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M + Intel® HD Graphics 530 will BSOD or black screen (hard freeze) *every time* after 20 to 120 minutes.

Every time.

90% black screen (not at the boot mind you, but during a normal Windows session: black screen, hard reboot and no events in the Windows Event viewer)

This is with a Windows 10 build 1511 very latest Patch Tuesday applied.

Standard Windows installation, no anti-virus or firewall or proxy (just Windows Defender)

No program installed (except VirtualBox, and Google Chrome, NVidia Experience and Realtek HD Audio Driver and Vulkan RunTime Libraries 1.0.3.0)

The 2*8GB memory sticks have been tested with memtest86 during 9+ hours (all 13 tests, without any error)

A safe mode session works just fine (both graphic components are using the Microsoft Basic Display)

A normal session won't work unless I remove the driver of the Intel HD 530, switching it to NVidia only (in which case, no BSOD or black screen)

90% of the time, the issue is black screen (so no log or event of any kind)

I got 3 BSOD that I attach here as well (through BlueScreenView)

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Black screen after 20 to 120 minutes (rarely BSOD).

Does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?

If you can offer a % rate please do.

Every single time. I'll offer 100%

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

acer VN7-592G-5306

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

switchable: Intel® HD Graphics 530 + NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

<td style="padding: 0 5.4pt; border-right-width: 1pt; border-bottom-width: 1pt; border-style: none solid solid none...
0 Kudos
1 Solution
VC1
Novice

Update (4 months later)

It turned out to be a hardware/memory issue.

One of the two memory slots on the motherboard only accepts a 4GB memory card. Anything else will cause the machine to eventually freeze.

The other accepts anything from 4 to 8 to 16 (I put 16, for a total of 20GB): the machine has been running for days without any issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
IUman
Honored Contributor II

Hello VonC,

Thank you for joining the Intel communities.

Did this system work fine for while and then failed or you have this problem from the moment you start using the Laptop?

Please try uninstalling both drivers and restart your system after uninstalling every driver, then install the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25749/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40-?product=88345 Intel® driver first, restart your system and then install the NVIDIA driver and restart your system.

This can help fix problems but please be aware that BSOD and black screen are not caused only by the graphics driver.

Please bear in mind that is recommended to install the Intel® graphics driver from your system manufacturer instead of the Intel generic driver, this because you can have a customized driver installed in your system. Intel provides generic versions of drivers for general purposes. Your computer manufacturer may have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to your driver. Intel recommends you contact your computer manufacturer for the latest system specific updates and technical support information.

Useful Tips for Dealing with BSODs

BSODs have a variety of root causes, but these tips will help you deal with many blue screens:

1. If your system recently started blue-screening, use System Restore to roll its system software back to a previous state. If this works, you'll know that it's likely a software problem.
  2. Malware that digs deep into Windows and gets its hooks into the Windows kernel at a low level can cause system instability. Scan your computer for malware to ensure buggy malicious software isn't causing it to crash.
  3. An incorrectly installed or buggy driver can lead to crashes. Download the latest drivers for your computer's hardware from your computer manufacturer's website and install them this may fix BSODs caused by driver problems.
  4. Blue screens can be caused by faulty hardware in your computer. Try testing your computer's memory for errors and checking its temperature to ensure that it isn't overheating.
  5. Reinstalling Windows is the nuclear option. It will blow away your existing system software, replacing it with a fresh Windows system. If your computer continues to blue screen after this, you likely have a hardware problem.

1. A computer in proper working state shouldn't blue-screen at all, but no software or hardware is perfect. Even a properly functioning computer may blue screen on rare occasions for no apparent reason &# 151; possibly as the result of rare driver bugs or hardware issues.

1. If your computer is regularly blue-screening, you have a problem. If you encounter a blue screen once every two years, don't worry about it.

I hope this can help you.

Best wishes,

Ivan

0 Kudos
VC1
Novice

Hi Ivan,

Thank you for this answer.

I have come here after ruling out hardware problems and after testing the memory sticks (as I clearly mention in my original post).

Without Intel Graphics HD driver, the computer works fine (of course without the features provided by that missing driver)

With Intel Graphics HD driver, the computer will hang. (what I call "black screen", meaning all that is left to do is to reboot by long-pressing the power button)

Is there any Intel software that I could run in the background to help debug and get some data out if this computer?

Regards.

0 Kudos
IUman
Honored Contributor II

Just checking – if you install the graphics driver from your system manufacturer do you get the same problem?

Did you notify your system manufacturer about the issue to see if they are aware of this?

0 Kudos
VC1
Novice

Yes, and no.

I will (but they will probably send me back here)

0 Kudos
VC1
Novice

Update (4 months later)

It turned out to be a hardware/memory issue.

One of the two memory slots on the motherboard only accepts a 4GB memory card. Anything else will cause the machine to eventually freeze.

The other accepts anything from 4 to 8 to 16 (I put 16, for a total of 20GB): the machine has been running for days without any issue.

0 Kudos
IUman
Honored Contributor II

I'm glad that your issue has been resolved and thank you very much for taking your time to share this information with us.

Best wishes,

Ivan

0 Kudos