5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2016 12:47 PM by EstebanC_Intel

Hello! Fourm,DZ77SL50K

pkmys

I am using DZ77SL50K desktop board. occasionally i encounter memory error (3beeps) with the board and system doesn't start . At that time i have to unplug and plug in the RAM to start the system. I am using transcend 8 GBX2(16GB) in 2 of the 4 slots available . I tried all the suggested combinations in the user guide but issue persists kindly suggest me.

• 1. Re: Hello! Fourm,DZ77SL50K
          EstebanC_Intel

Hello, pkmys:

Thank you for contacting the Intel Communities.

You could be encountering with 2 different issues here.

1. Bad DIMM slots

2. Bad RAM modules

My recommendations?

-Test each RAM module in each DIMM slot.

-Test the system with different RAM.

-Even if it has been working for a while, double check the supported RAM in the TPS for your Motherboard as well as the supported RAM by your CPU.

-If possible, test the RAM in a different computer.

These steps could provide you with a better overview whether the RAM or DIMM slots are faulty, or both.

Here you can find the TPS for your Motherboard (page 19 indicates RAM supported): https://downloadmirror.intel.com/20953/eng/DZ77SL-50K_TechProdSpec02.pdf

Here you can find your CPU and look for the RAM supported by it:

How to check the model of your CPU?

-Go to computer/This PC in the start menu and right click on any white space, properties.

-You should be prompt with the system information of your PC, there you would find the model of your CPU.

If you require any further information or support, feel free to contact us back.

Regards,

Esteban C

• 2. Re: Hello! Fourm,DZ77SL50K
            pkmys

Greetings! Esteban,

Thanks for the quick and prompt response. As i said earlier  i tried different DIMM slots using two slots at time, one  at a time etc as initial trouble shooting (using one slot in channel A and one  in channel B, using both slots channel A). Howe ever when i used only one DIMM slot (either of  the channels with single 8GB Module) issue was not observed. One more observation here is due to some software limitations i had to use a 32-bit OS (as you know max RAM that can be addressed is 4G) even though both 8GB modules are used i din't ran into issues. My question here is could it issue with OS while addressing the memory or BIOS. As i said in my first comment issue is recurrent but  not all the time  when i switch on my PC it occurs. Hope this information can help you further.

Regards

Praveen Kumar

• 3. Re: Hello! Fourm,DZ77SL50K
              EstebanC_Intel

Hello, pkmys:

Are you able to test the system with a different CPU?

Memory Controller Hub in the CPU could be faulty as well.

Regards,

Esteban C

• 4. Re: Hello! Fourm,DZ77SL50K
                pkmys

Hi! Esteban,

Unfortunately I don have a spare CPU which is compatible  with the board  to test the issue. Can you suggest me diagnostic tests/methods  if any  to deduce the conclusion. Thanks in advance.

Regards

Praveen Kumar

• 5. Re: Hello! Fourm,DZ77SL50K
                  EstebanC_Intel

Hello, pkmys:

Thank you for your answer.

I would like to know, have you tested the issue with a each of your RAM modules in a single DIMM slot? (it seems like the issue is not present in that scenario).

This would be to check if it is one of the RAM modules that is triggering the issue.

Additionally, please make sure that both RAM modules have the same model and specifications to avoid any compatibility issues.

To narrow down the issue as the OS, are you able to perform a fresh installation of the 32-bit version of your OS? Also a good way to check, if possible, would be to use a 64-bit based OS.

An advise to not loose all your information, you could unplug all the current drives from your PC and use a spare HDD to perform the tests related to the OS (fresh intall 32/64-bit based OS).

I look forward to your outcome with this.

Regards,

Esteban C