Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Intel 520 Graphics BSOD Error VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (igdkmd64.sys) Windows 10

AMedo1
Beginner

Hi,

I just recently bought a Lenovo Yoga 900 Laptop that came with the Intel 520 graphics card and Windows 10. I have begun to realize a re-occurring issue where I receive a Blue Screen of Death error (stop error) whenever I am trying to edit a video with adobe premiere pro or sometimes when I am playing games. The error is VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (igdkmd64.sys). Each time this happens I have to restart my edit or my game because my computer must reboot and it makes me want to scream . After frantically looking for solutions on the internet I got nothing that worked except for disabling the driver, which is OK, but I can't help but feel angry that I don't get to use my new graphics card to its full potential... So, is this problem solvable? I have tried uninstalling the driver and restarting my computer, but that did not work. Is this something I will just have to live with until an updated driver or windows 10 update is released? It just hurts that whenever I play a game or edit I have to disable my display driver. Any tips or comments to help are greatly appreciated!

Alex

SOME SPECS:

Intel Graphics 520

CPU: Intel 6th Generation i7-6500 2.5 Ghz

16GB RAM

512 SSD

0 Kudos
5 Replies
IUman
Honored Contributor II

Hello AlexNeedsHelp,

Thank you for joining the Intel communities.

Please try the following:

Uninstall the Intel® 520 Graphics driver and if there is a driver also for a video card in your system uninstall that one as well and restart your system.

After that, install the Intel driver first and then install the driver for the video card.

Restart you system

Download Intel® driver here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25749/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40-?product=88355 Download Intel® Beta Graphics Driver for Windows® 7/8.1/10* [15.40]

If that does not work try with the power options:

1. Access control panel
  2. Select system and security
  3. Search for power options
  4. Make sure it is select as balance recommended
  5. Click change plan settings
  6. Click select change advance power settings
  7. Look for the Intel® graphics power plan and set both options as maximum performance
  8. Apply and ok
  9. Restart your system

Please let me know if this can help you.

Best wishes,

Ivan

0 Kudos
AMedo1
Beginner

Hey Ivan!

Thanks for your reply and for taking time out of your day to help me out... sadly, not only was I not able to install the driver you recommended to me (this is because it isn't verified by lenovo for my computer), but the power options didn't help either. If you find anything else, I'm all ears

Alex

0 Kudos
AMedo1
Beginner

Hey again Ivan!

Just looked up a way to bypass the error of lenovo not validating the driver. So now it is installed and although I haven't done any thorough tests.. so far it seems good and that the problem may have been solved. Ill keep this thread up to date though

Alex

0 Kudos
AMedo1
Beginner

Hey,

Sorry for this being the third reply... I just found it necessary to bring you the bad news that after further testing the error arose once more and I have concluded that the issue persists... sorry for getting your hopes up. Hopefully updates will soon be released that will put this error to rest. Thank you for your patience and help...

Alex

0 Kudos
IUman
Honored Contributor II

Have you contacted Lenovo about this issue? It looks that you need an updated customized driver from Lenovo.

Please be aware that BSOD and black screen are not caused only by the graphics driver.

Useful Tips for Dealing with BSODs

BSODs have a variety of root causes, but these tips will help you deal with many blue screens:

If your system recently started blue-screening, use System Restore to roll its system software back to a previous state. If this works, you will know that it's likely a software problem.

Malware that digs deep into Windows and gets its hooks into the Windows kernel at a low level can cause system instability. Scan your computer for malware to ensure buggy malicious software isn't causing it to crash.

An incorrectly installed or buggy driver can lead to crashes. Download the latest drivers for your computer's hardware from your computer manufacturer's website and install them, this may fix BSODs caused by driver problems.

If your computer is blue-screening every time you turn it on, try booting into safe mode. In safe mode, Windows loads only the essential drivers. If a driver you've installed is causing Windows to blue screen, it shouldn't do so in safe mode. You can work on fixing the problem from safe mode.

Blue screens can be caused by faulty hardware in your computer. Try testing your computer's memory for errors and checking its temperature to ensure that it isn't overheating.

Reinstalling Windows is the nuclear option. It will blow away your existing system software, replacing it with a fresh Windows system. If your computer continues to blue screen after this, you likely have a hardware problem.

A computer in proper working state shouldn't blue-screen at all, but no software or hardware is perfect. Even a properly functioning computer may blue screen on rare occasions for no apparent reason possibly as the result of rare driver bugs or hardware issues.

If your computer is regularly blue-screening, you have a problem. If you encounter a blue screen once every two years, don't worry about it.

0 Kudos