1 2 3 Previous Next 369 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2016 8:34 AM by ivanu_intel

WHEA Errors on Skylake NUCs NUC6i5SYK/H and NUC6i3SYK/H

cvare

Just to keep consistent, I'm going to point this to the FAQ, here.

• 1. Re: WHEA Errors on Skylake NUCs NUC6i5SYK/H and NUC6i3SYK/H
          Lokutos

Hi cvare,

Good to know this issue is being investigated. I have two SKL NUCs and luckily am not affected (but I did downgrade to 0028 after noticing the fan issue and always kept an eye on temps). But I have a suggestion: Why not collect the failing NUCs from all the people who have reported problems (and send them replacements)? This way you'd have a nice sample size and don't need to try to recreate the problem. You could then have the NUCs analyzed. Some may have failed due to overheating (fan issue which I reported first, over a month ago), some may have other issues.

Best regards,

Stefan

• 2. Re: WHEA Errors on Skylake NUCs NUC6i5SYK/H and NUC6i3SYK/H
            Zohar

Hi Cvare,

Bought my machine about 10 days ago, and after several days started this WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR to appear.

My machine spec is NUC6i5SYH having:

2 X Corsair 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz CL15 SODIMM

1 X Transcend MTS800 TS128GMTS800 128GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA

1 X Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD5000LPCX 500GB 5400RPM

I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64bit, but the problem exists (on my machine) also with Win 8.1 Pro x64.

I updated the BIOS to 0036, it seems that it fixed the fan issue and the temp stays well under 50C (with the error it reached 85), but without any success about the WHEA error, it really annoyed me cause it happened every several minutes, it was impossible to work with the computer.

After browsing the net I found out a solution that worked for me, at least works without even one occurence since last night, where it happened every several minutes when it did.

1) Open start menu with right click and select "Power Options".

2) Click on the "Choose what the power buttons do" (on the upper left pane)

3) Click "Change setting which are currently unavailable".

4) Below the "Shutdown settings" uncheck "Turn on fast startup (recommended)" - on my machine this was checked by default.

5) Save settings exit and reboot.

I hope it really fixed the issue, but who knows, as it started (after several days of operation) the first time it could come back again.

Anyway, it is definitely a HW/FW bug, probably related to the power management. I hope Intel will make all efoorts to fix this quickly, cause it looks like very epidemic issue.

• 3. Re: WHEA Errors on Skylake NUCs NUC6i5SYK/H and NUC6i3SYK/H
              ivanu_intel

Hello cvare ,

Thank you for the information you have shared with us and Zohar we appreciate you have taken the time to kindly let us know how you solved this problem on you NUC.

Hopefully a solution will come up soon to correct this issue for everyone.

Best wishes,

Ivan

• 4. Re: WHEA Errors on Skylake NUCs NUC6i5SYK/H and NUC6i3SYK/H
                MrMitch

When you were getting the WHEA error, do you remember what the error code was? I found this on an MSDN site. Hope it helps.

WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR Parameters

Parameter 1Parameter 2Parameter 3Parameter 4Cause of error

0x0

Address of WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure.

High 32 bits of MCi_STATUS MSR for the MCA bank that had the error.

Low 32 bits of MCi_STATUS MSR for the MCA bank that had the error.

A machine check exception occurred.

These parameter descriptions apply if the processor is based on the x64 architecture, or the x86 architecture that has the MCA feature available (for example, Intel Pentium Pro, Pentium IV, or Xeon).

0x1

Reserved.

Reserved.

A corrected machine check exception occurred.

0x2

Reserved.

Reserved.

A corrected platform error occurred.

0x3

Reserved.

Reserved.

A nonmaskable Interrupt (NMI) error occurred.

0x4

Reserved

Reserved.

An uncorrectable PCI Express error occurred.

0x5

Reserved.

Reserved.

A generic hardware error occurred.

0x6

Address of WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure

Reserved.

Reserved.

An initialization error occurred.

0x7

Reserved.

Reserved.

A BOOT error occurred.

0x8

Reserved.

Reserved.

A Scalable Coherent Interface (SCI) generic error occurred.

0x9

Length, in bytes, of the SAL log.

Address of the SAL log.

An uncorrectable Itanium-based machine check abort error occurred.

0xA

Reserved.

Reserved.

A corrected Itanium-based machine check error occurred.

0xB

Reserved.

Reserved.

A corrected Itanium platform error occurred.

Remarks

Parameter 1 identifies the type of error source that reported the error. Parameter 2 holds the address of the WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure that describes the error condition.

• 5. Re: WHEA Errors on Skylake NUCs NUC6i5SYK/H and NUC6i3SYK/H
                  MrMitch

Has anyone tried booting into Windows 10 Safe Mode to see if the WHEA error still appears? It would be interesting to see if maybe a driver or a cumulative update for Windows 10 may be causing the issues. I would try it but I have never seen the WHEA error on any of the NUCs I have used.

• 6. Re: WHEA Errors on Skylake NUCs NUC6i5SYK/H and NUC6i3SYK/H
                    cvare

Agreed, thanks Zohar!

One more question, you said this is on 2 different systems, "the problem exists (on my machine) also with Win 8.1 Pro x64." is that a NUC as well?

Thanks!

• 7. Re: WHEA Errors on Skylake NUCs NUC6i5SYK/H and NUC6i3SYK/H
                      Topix

MrMitch wrote:

Has anyone tried booting into Windows 10 Safe Mode to see if the WHEA error still appears?

Hi MrMitch,

I have seen this message same days ago Re: NUC6i5SYH and WHEA about windows 10 safe mode and WHEA

• 8. Re: WHEA Errors on Skylake NUCs NUC6i5SYK/H and NUC6i3SYK/H
                        Zohar

MrMitch wrote:

Has anyone tried booting into Windows 10 Safe Mode to see if the WHEA error still appears? It would be interesting to see if maybe a driver or a cumulative update for Windows 10 may be causing the issues. I would try it but I have never seen the WHEA error on any of the NUCs I have used.

Yes MrMitch,

When it was occuring it did also in SAFE MODE.

Zohar

• 9. Re: WHEA Errors on Skylake NUCs NUC6i5SYK/H and NUC6i3SYK/H
                          Zohar

cvare wrote:

Agreed, thanks Zohar!

One more question, you said this is on 2 different systems, "the problem exists (on my machine) also with Win 8.1 Pro x64." is that a NUC as well?

Thanks!

Yes Cvare,

I did that on the very same machine, I needed to know if it is a problem of Win 10 or is it a hw/machine problem.

It looks like what I did helped, it did not crash even a single time since.

Zohar

• 10. Re: WHEA Errors on Skylake NUCs NUC6i5SYK/H and NUC6i3SYK/H
                            cvare

Great, thanks for the info!

And for everybody:

Thank you all for your patience and understanding.  We are in the process of getting some units back for failure analysis. We really appreciate the willingness to cooperate and a special thanks to those customers that have provided us with failing units. . Be assured we will keep the community updated on any progress we make. 

• 11. Re: WHEA Errors on Skylake NUCs NUC6i5SYK/H and NUC6i3SYK/H
                              turki

I have the latest update 36
                              But still the problem , which is that the machine does not work !!
                              Is this a problem only on Windows ??
                              Or is it on all systems ?
                              I'm from Saudi Arabia Which way to return the device to the company ?
                              Thank you

• 12. Re: WHEA Errors on Skylake NUCs NUC6i5SYK/H and NUC6i3SYK/H
                                SebasF1

Since this week I'm getting WHEA error in Win 10 pro. As soon as I get to win 10 home screen, the error appears and reboots the nuc, and this loop goes on forever. Sometimes it doesn't even get beyond the bios nuc posting. I updated the nuc to the latest 036 bios and problem persists. Also followed suggestion to uncheck memory setting trip optimisation.

My nuc6i5syh was manufactured Jan 7th 2016. Is has installed 2 x 8gb hyper x 2133mhz ram modules, a crucial 500gb SSD and a 1TB WD Red HDD.

• 13. Re: WHEA Errors on Skylake NUCs NUC6i5SYK/H and NUC6i3SYK/H
                                  uncle.tim

Looks like this has nothing to do with update from BIOS 33 to 36?, i am worried about updating mine. I am not getting the error, just other small issues.

• 14. Re: WHEA Errors on Skylake NUCs NUC6i5SYK/H and NUC6i3SYK/H
                                    rado77

Here is the list of good/bad RAMsCapture.JPG

1 2 3 Previous Next