1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2016 3:49 PM by cvare

Need a response from "_intel" folks

Waterbaby

There are several thread happening in relation to issues with the 6th generation NUCs. These NUCs are bricking, crashing and rebooting. There is the WHEA uncorrectable issue popping up after your 0036 BIOS update. This is getting ridiculous.

I recognize this is a new product, and there may be teething issues, but the problem is the lack of response from Intel. You know you have a problem. You pulled your 0033 BIOS and posted an 0036 BIOS which, in my opinion, is worse. My NUC does not work, and I cannot boot off of a USB stick to try to reinstall Windows. Basically, my machine boots into windows, and then start the never ending loop of WHEA uncorrectable error and reboots. Over and over and over.

It would be most appreciated if you could RESPOND to us. Your silence is deafening. I would even be happy with a "we know there is an issue, but we still haven't found the root cause".

Furthermore, I'm sure we could be of use by posting our board information (date of manuf., serial number, etc) to see if it's a manufacturing batch problem or simply a BIOS/driver issue.

As it stands right now, I've got a $900 brick which is beyond Newegg's return date.

There may be those people who have no problems with their new NUC, but here is a couple of links to show that some of us are experiencing these problems:

Does anyone have a NUC 6 (Skylake) which is working 100%?

NUC6i5SYH and WHEA

whea_uncorrectable_error

Has BIOS 036 solved the WHEA error?

• 1. Re: Need a response from "_intel" folks
          det_bradlee

Try repeatedly pressing F10 during boot and choosing your USB drive. Or F2 to go into BIOS and boot to your flashdrive from there...

If neither work, make sure you enable both UEFI and Legacy boot, then try again. If that still doesn't work, disable UEFI. You should then have no problem booting to your USB drive. When Windows setup asks you to choose a partition to install to, delete all available partitions on your main drive, then reboot back to BIOS. Turn UEFI back on, reboot again, and install windows.

• 2. Re: Need a response from "_intel" folks
            Waterbaby

Thanks. I didn't think about going the legacy USB way. I currently have that disabled.

• 3. Re: Need a response from "_intel" folks
              det_bradlee

If you have a standard bootable USB drive, you must enable legacy boot for it to work.

Good luck! Let us know if you are able to reload Windows. Remember to delete the partitions during setup, then reboot and turn UEFI back on before running setup again to complete.

• 4. Re: Need a response from "_intel" folks
                Waterbaby

Well, before the BIOS mess, I'm pretty sure I was able to boot off of my USB stick (Windows 10 64-bit installer) with just UEFI installed.

I will let you know how it goes. Just to verify:

1. Enable USB legacy (disable UEFI?)

2. Delete partitions of my M.2 SSD (which I always do with a clean install)

3. Start the install (I don't create partitions. I let Windows do that.)

4. When the basic install is complete and Windows reboots, go into BIOS and switch back to UEFI

I'll try it.

As a point of clarification, when I try to install now and get the blue screen of death, it means the NUC saw my USB drive and was attempting to boot. It crashed right after the rotating dots appears under the Intel NUC logo. In any case, I will try the method above and report back (hopefully tonight).

• 5. Re: Need a response from "_intel" folks
                  det_bradlee

If you have no UEFI OS installed on an attached system drive, then yes you will be able to boot from a standard USB drive. Once any UEFI partition is activated, you will not be able to boot to a standard drive unless Legacy support is enabled (and possibly UEFI disabled).

The reason for having to delete the partitions and then reboot to enable UEFI is that you need first disable UEFI if you cannot boot to your USB drive. Deleting the partitions will allow you to re-enable UEFI in BIOS and then install the UEFI Win10 correctly.

I would reboot the system and enable UEFI directly after you delete the partitions, and BEFORE you install Windows, then reboot to run setup with both enabled. I am uncertain if this is necessary or not for the UEFI install to complete. Most likely, you can just re-enable on the first reboot. But possibly if the system detects that UEFI is not supported, it may not install Win10 in that mode.

• 7. Re: Need a response from "_intel" folks
                    Wrldtvlr

FWIW I tried booting off a Win 10 USB with an unmodified setup image and experienced the same WHEA error.

• 8. Re: Need a response from "_intel" folks
                      cvare

Hi All,

Intel® is aware of the reports of BSOD's due to WHEA Windows* errors with the Skylake NUCs (NUC6i3SYK/H, NUC6i5SYK/H).  We are working to recreate the issue.  Thank you for all the details on your posts.

In the meantime, please update to BIOS 0036 found here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25822/BIOS-Update-SYSKLi35-86A-?product=89186.  This will not fix every issue, but it has some important fixes that could help your system perform better.  Please let us know if updating to BIOS 0036 improves the reliability of your system.

• 9. Re: Need a response from "_intel" folks
                        cvare

Hi All,

Intel® is aware of the reports of BSOD's due to WHEA Windows* errors with the Skylake NUCs (NUC6i3SYK/H, NUC6i5SYK/H).  We are working to recreate the issue.  Thank you for all the details on your posts.

In the meantime, please update to BIOS 0036 found here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25822/BIOS-Update-SYSKLi35-86A-?product=89186.  This will not fix every issue, but it has some important fixes that could help your system perform better.  Please let us know if updating to BIOS 0036 improves the reliability of your system.

• 10. Re: Need a response from "_intel" folks
                          MrMitch

Have you tried removing your SSD and seeing if the NUC will boot to the Windows 10 USB flash drive without the error? You might also try using only one stick of RAM at a time to see if one of them may have failed.

• 11. Re: Need a response from "_intel" folks
                            Wrldtvlr

No, but I've about hit the limit of troubleshooting I'm willing to do. Especially as Intel has ack'd the problem and are investigating it themselves.

• 12. Re: Need a response from "_intel" folks
                              Waterbaby

Still haven't had time to try myself, but somethig interesting happened. Yesterday, I wrote an email to Matthew Krzanich (Intel CEO). Of course, I didn't expect to hear from him, but I did get a call from Intel. The guy stated that my message was heard, and supposedly a team has been assigned to work this. It was the end of the day and he didn't have anything yet because he just got it. He gave me his email and telephone number and promises to make sure our issues are resolved. I'll keep you guys informed.

• 13. Re: Need a response from "_intel" folks
                                cvare

Thank you all for your patience and understanding.  We are in the process of getting some units back for failure analysis. We really appreciate the willingness to cooperate and a special thanks to those customers that have provided us with failing units. . Be assured we will keep the community updated on any progress we make. 

• 14. Re: Need a response from "_intel" folks
                                  cvare

Hi all, just want to let you know, we’re compiling a FAQ for the NUC6i3SYK/H and NUC6i5SYK/H NUCs.  It will be a continually evolving list based on what we learn, and can be found here: https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-110236

We are starting to get units in for failure analysis and we will have an update as soon as possible.  Thanks again for your patience.

1 2 Previous Next