9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2016 6:12 PM by CMata_Intel

Can't set up a serial terminal to configure Edison (terminal not responding / weird characters)

HugoM

Hi everyone !

I am asking for you help because I'm totally desperate, here is my problem :

I have an, almost, brand new Edison and I attempted to update its Yocto image (I have an Arduino breakout board). I had several problems (the device won't show up in the phone flash tool, so I had to update it with the flashall.sh . Everything worked).

But when I want to set up the serial terminal (IoT - Setting up a serial terminal on a system with Mac* OS X* | Intel® Developer Zone) nothing works.

90% of the time, when I execute the screen command, I have a blank, non responding prompt. Sometime, I have weird characters but I can't do anything.

I carefully close all previous screen sessions. I don't get any error messages. It's just that the Edison doesn't seem to answer or the communication is bad.

I tried to flash it twice. I checked on another computer, I changed the cables twice. I don't know what to do.

And without this access, I can't set up the WiFi and the SSH stuff...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot

Hugo

More info : I can still upload sketches from Arduino IDE, I see the Edison drive on my computer.

Capture d’écran 2016-03-07 à 22.49.01.png

• 1. Re: Can't set up a serial terminal to configure Edison (terminal not responding / weird characters)
          CMata_Intel

Hi Hugo,

I’m glad to know that the flashall.sh script worked for you. Regarding the problem you have while using screen, I would like to know more information:

1. Could you post a screenshot of what you get after running ls /dev on your PC (where we could see the tty. and cu. devices that are used for serial communication)?

2. Which is the complete command you are using to access screen? Are you using sudo?

3. Which OS are you using?

4. Have you tried to install the latest FTDI drivers, some PCs have already FTDI drivers but sometimes they need an update, take a look in here Virtual COM Port Drivers and download the required driver for your OS.

Also, check with ps that there isn’t another process related to the port or screen, if there is one, kill it before running screen again.

Regards,

Charlie

• 2. Re: Can't set up a serial terminal to configure Edison (terminal not responding / weird characters)
            HugoM

Hello Charlie,

Thank your for your help.

So, here are the requested informations :

1) I ran two commands because otherwise, there were too many things

Capture d’écran 2016-03-08 à 18.44.42.png

2) I used :

screen -L /dev/cu.usbserial-A502ORUU 115200

I also tried to use the bloop package so I tried "bloop c"

I didn't try sudo before. But I just did it and I got the same results.

(I also tried to use screen with the /dev/tty.*** but it didn't work)

3) I'm running Mac OS X 10.11.3

4) I just installed it so I will restart my computer and give it a try (i just tried without restarting the computer but it changed nothing)

5) I did killed the process through bloop screen and sometimes with the monitor to make sure no other screen processes are running.

This is what I get with ps, but I guess it is normal

Capture d’écran 2016-03-08 à 18.52.53.png

Thank you.

• 3. Re: Can't set up a serial terminal to configure Edison (terminal not responding / weird characters)
              HugoM

Hello,

I just wanted to say that I've been able to connect to the edison using SSH (from bloop ssh function). I can log into the Edison exactly like I was using the screen fonction.

However, I'm not able to set up the wifi on the Edison I get a  "Failed to connect to non-global ctrl_ifname: (null)  error: No such file or directory" error during the scan.

Is this due to the ssh login ? I ssh into the Edison just after flashing it.

Now that I have an access to the board, maybe I can "make it work again" from inside ?

• 4. Re: Can't set up a serial terminal to configure Edison (terminal not responding / weird characters)
                CMata_Intel

Hi HugoM,

How are you getting the IP address of the board? Were you able to have access to the Terminal Console of the board?

Could you post a screenshot of the error you are getting? And also, which image are you using? For this you can run the command configure_edison --version

In order to use screen, you need to use the command sudo screen /dev/tty.usbserial-A5020RUU 115200. If you get problems with this again, check the processes with ps, unplug and plug the USB cables and/or try with different USB cables.

Regards,

Charlie

• 5. Re: Can't set up a serial terminal to configure Edison (terminal not responding / weird characters)
                  HugoM

Hello Charlie,

I'm connecting to the board using the bloop package (bloop ssh).

When I do a sudo screen /dev/tty..... nothing happens, I get a blank terminal.

The only way I found to connect to the board is using the bloop ssh. I'm able to do a few things but I still have issues.

Here is what I get :

Capture d’écran 2016-03-24 à 14.54.41.png

The terminal behind is the not responding serial connection.

Here is the WiFi error (after typing "configure_edison --w" from SSH):

Capture d’écran 2016-03-24 à 14.58.51.png

I have a friend who has an Edison, I will try to use his arduino board the see what I can do with it.

I tried every single usb cables I could find but I still get the error (including the ones from the Grove Starter Kit).

• 6. Re: Can't set up a serial terminal to configure Edison (terminal not responding / weird characters)
                    CMata_Intel

Hi Hugo,

I think the problem could be the board is already running SSH services without been connected to a Wireless Network.

Is there a way you could test your board with another PC?

You can also try with another Terminal Emulator, like iTerm2 or another one to connect the board through the /dev/tty.*

Using bloop ssh you can try by modifying the /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf file. Take a look at Edison Wi-Fi Configuration - for a good example. My wpa_supplicant.conf looks like this:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant

ctrl_interface_group=0

config_methods=virtual_push_button virtual_display push_button keypad

update_config=1

fast_reauth=1

device_name=Edison

manufacturer=Intel

model_name=Edison

network={

ssid="myNetwork"

key_mgmt=WPA-PSK

pairwise=CCMP TKIP

group=CCMP TKIP WEP104 WEP40

eap=TTLS PEAP TLS

psk="MyPass"

}

Also, try running the commands:

systemctl stop connman

systemctl disable connman

Regards,

Charlie

• 7. Re: Can't set up a serial terminal to configure Edison (terminal not responding / weird characters)
                      HugoM

Hi !

Thank you for your help, again !

I wanted to try this but now, I have a new issue ! I can't even see the Edison as a drive ! I didn't change anything from the last time !

One more thing, my friend gave me a console block from Sparkfun, it doens't work too. When I plug his Edison on my arduino board, everything works perfectly !

So, I guess the problem comes from my Edison and not my Arduino board.....

But now, I'm very disappointed because I lost the last thing I had, the USB Drive......

I think my Edison is bricked or in an infinite loop, I don't know.... (when I plug it to my computer, the only LED which turns up is the DS2 one....)

Thanks

Hugo

• 8. Re: Can't set up a serial terminal to configure Edison (terminal not responding / weird characters)
                        HugoM

Ok, I may have found the problem, I used the mraa library from python and I just saw this :

• Requesting GPIO 4 will break your FTDI UART console, so bear in mind when trying to use it

I might have used the pin 4 when I did try the mraa library (thinking it was linked to the Arduino pin 4.....)

https://github.com/intel-iot-devkit/mraa/blob/master/docs/edison.md

:/

• 9. Re: Can't set up a serial terminal to configure Edison (terminal not responding / weird characters)
                          CMata_Intel

Hi Hugo,

Do you still have problems while using WiFi? I would like to know if by not using the GPIO4 you have solved the problems you had.

Regards,

Charlie