4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2016 1:59 PM by mikec_intel

NUC5I7RYH 12V performance

Girmi

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to use my Intel NUC5I7RYH to control a mobile robot, using the robot's internal 12V batteries to power the NUC. As the technical documents state, the NUC accepts an input within the range of 12V to 19V.
      Would there be any advantage to using a booster to step up the battery voltage to 19V? Or is 12V just as good?

Thanks in advance,
      Girmi

• 1. Re: NUC5I7RYH 12V performance
          mikec_intel

Hi Girmi,

The recommended voltage for the NUC 5I7RYH is 19V; however, it is possible to run it with a power source of 12V. The booster will be a good idea.

Regards,
          Mike C

• 2. Re: NUC5I7RYH 12V performance
            Lokutos

Hi Mike C,

Could you elaborate why it is recommended to use a step-up converter to use 19V? Such a converter will waste energy (my wild guess is 10%, but this probably depends on the quality of the circuit). I think the highest voltage used in the NUC is 5V. This and the hundreds of other voltages (3.3V, 1.25V, ...) are created using switched voltage regulators. Why is 19V input better? Since these are switched-mode VRs and the NUC is specified for 12V operation, there shouldn't be much of a difference.

Best regards,

Stefan

• 3. Re: NUC5I7RYH 12V performance
              Girmi

Mike,

I would also like to know the (dis)advantages of running the NUC at both voltages. Why is 19V preferred?

Girmi

• 4. Re: NUC5I7RYH 12V performance
                mikec_intel

Hi Girmi and Lokutos,

5th gen NUCs can work using a power input of 12 and 19V. Now, using a 19V power adapter, the current through the electronic components will be less and you will have a cooler system.

Regards,
                Mike C