1 2 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2016 12:26 PM by jinzai

Make partition larger on Windows

BrechtW

My SD card of 16 GB contains a partition of 49.2 MB and I want to make it larger. I found this but it's on Linux. I'm using eglibc.

EDIT: On Linux

If you have access to another Linux computer, you can use the following steps to resize the filesystem:

Assuming that SD card is mounted under /media/sdcard:

1. Run a file system check (fsck) first:

fsck.ext3 -f /media/sdcard/image-full-clanton.ext3

2. Run resize2fs to resize the file system. The second argument (409600 in the example) specifies the new filesystem size in kilobytes:

resize2fs /media/sdcard/image-full-clanton.ext3 409600

Resize SD card linux

sdCardFull.PNG

How do you make this partition larger on Windows (step by step instructions)?

• 1. Re: Make partition larger on Windows
          FGT

Hi BretchW,

I don't recall the details, it's an OS issue and I did it much time ago. You should delete partitions and leave just one partition, which I made with the Win disk management tool, IIRC.

This is the kind of screen you should see:

disk-management-windows-10.png

I think I saved the sequence of screens somewhere, but I do not have them at hand. I'll post as soon as I find them.

HTH,

Fernando.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Make partition larger on Windows
            BrechtW

This is what I had before inserting the SD card:

diskManager.PNG

This is the disk manager when the SD card from the Intel Galileo is inserted.

diskManager2.PNG

So I have to delete the 13,52 GB which isn't assigned? Is there a step I have to do next?

• 3. Re: Make partition larger on Windows
              FGT

BrechtW wrote:

This is what I had before inserting the SD card:

diskManager.PNG

This is the disk manager when the SD card from the Intel Galileo is inserted.

diskManager2.PNG

So I have to delete the 13,52 GB which isn't assigned? Is there a step I have to do next?

I don't know if I did is the most elegant and/or efficient way, but here is what I did:

1) Take a look at what you have already installed in the current partition and make a "back up" or make a review in order to reconstruct at least your current installation. I did not have much at this step, but maybe you already made a lot of changes you'll have to do again.

2) Delete every current partition. In your case, you have three partitions to delete.

3) Create a new partition and assign it all the available space.

4) Format the new partition in FAT32

After these steps the SD card should have a big partition with all the SD card available space in it.

HTH,

Fernando

• 4. Re: Make partition larger on Windows
                BrechtW

I was using a brand new SD card and I followed this tutorial. I think in this process these partitions were created.

Doing the steps FGT mentioned and then follow the tutorial again with my back-up image, will result in the same as before I think.

• 5. Re: Make partition larger on Windows
                  FGT

BrechtW wrote:

I was using a brand new SD card and I followed this tutorial. I think in this process these partitions were created.

Doing the steps FGT mentioned and then follow the tutorial again with my back-up image, will result in the same as before I think.

No, the tutorial you refer to works on already created partitions, more specifically:

"

Write the image to your micro SD card

This section contains steps to write the image to your micro SD card.

"

is about writing the image, and an image is wrote only in a created partition (i.e. the one the Win32DiskImager finds in the SD card)

HTH,

Fernando.

• 6. Re: Make partition larger on Windows
                    FGT

FGT wrote:

BrechtW wrote:

No, the tutorial you refer to works on already created partitions, more specifically:

"

This section contains steps to write the image to your micro SD card.

"

is about writing the image, and an image is wrote only in a created partition (i.e. the one the Win32DiskImager finds in the SD card)

HTH,

Fernando.

Replying to myself just to confirm that at least in a quick search I did not find any indication of Win32DiskImager creating any partition, but using the ones that it finds already created in the SD card.

HTH,

Fernando.

• 7. Re: Make partition larger on Windows
                      CMata_Intel

Hi BrechtW,

Have you been able to change the partitions on Windows?

Regards,

Charlie

• 8. Re: Make partition larger on Windows
                        BrechtW

I didn't try it yet. If you make an image, you make a bit by bit copy. If you write this to a formatted card , will this be the same as before including patitions?

• 9. Re: Make partition larger on Windows
                          jinzai

No, it will be exactly what is when you use a fresh blank card. I even D/Led a (free) partitioning package and it could not change the partition table at all. (Actually, I can move the ext3 partition around, but cannot resize it, or the FAT32 partition.) The Win32DiskImager writes images -- that includes partitioning on the microSD card. Resizing the FAT32 partition would give the XDK more room, but not the ext3 one -- that is the one that you need to increase, not the FAT32 one.

The answer here, I believe -- will be found on the Galileo 2 itself -- in other words -- it requires a Linux based solution. There needs to be a Linux partition on the card -- I don't see how making the entire card a FAT32 partition will work and it takes away a huge portion of Linux capability.

So, I have some Linux documentation and I am trying to suss this myself.

Windows Disk Manager is pretty much useless for this, in my opinion. Any solution must also make changes to /etc/fstab -- else the device won't boot.

• 10. Re: Make partition larger on Windows
                            FGT

jinzai wrote:

No, it will be exactly what is when you use a fresh blank card. I even D/Led a (free) partitioning package and it could not change the partition table at all. (Actually, I can move the ext3 partition around, but cannot resize it, or the FAT32 partition.) The Win32DiskImager writes images -- that includes partitioning on the microSD card. Resizing the FAT32 partition would give the XDK more room, but not the ext3 one -- that is the one that you need to increase, not the FAT32 one.

The answer here, I believe -- will be found on the Galileo 2 itself -- in other words -- it requires a Linux based solution. There needs to be a Linux partition on the card -- I don't see how making the entire card a FAT32 partition will work and it takes away a huge portion of Linux capability.

So, I have some Linux documentation and I am trying to suss this myself.

Windows Disk Manager is pretty much useless for this, in my opinion. Any solution must also make changes to /etc/fstab -- else the device won't boot.

I do not understand... maybe I'm missing something... I did this some months before and I saved some screens, I'm sure I did not do any thing in Linux.

After this process I just followed the Intel documentation, i.e. I copied the image.

HTH,

Fernando.

• 11. Re: Make partition larger on Windows
                              FGT

Replaying again just to confirm that I've used Win32DiskImager on a card which looks like this

and it worked.

HTH,

Fernando.

• 12. Re: Make partition larger on Windows
                                jinzai

Ah, I see....you did not actually write the *image* then...you copied the folder(s), -- that is different. That leaves you with no Linux partition, however.

I am curious -- are you using this as an Arduino compatible system, then? Or can you use the Intel XDK and say, node.js?

I am using node.js and without a Linux (ext3) partition -- it won't work.

Thanks for the screen shots, though -- very helpful, just not for my case, apparently. I will use a 32GB card to see if I can get this working.

• 13. Re: Make partition larger on Windows
                                  FGT

jinzai wrote:

Ah, I see....you did not actually write the *image* then...you copied the folder(s), -- that is different. That leaves you with no Linux partition, however.

How do you know that? Maybe I did not explain properly...

When I wrote

"After this process I just followed the Intel documentation, i.e. I copied the image."

I meant:

according to the Intel documentation, using Win32DiskImager. Maybe you still think, as you wrote in a previous post:

"The Win32DiskImager writes images -- that includes partitioning on the microSD card"

which is hardly true, but I don't have enough time to explain.

Did you already try it or you are guessing?

Fernando.

• 14. Re: Make partition larger on Windows
                                    FGT

Replying to myself just to fix an error:

FGT wrote:

Maybe you still think, as you wrote in a previous post:

"The Win32DiskImager writes images -- that includes partitioning on the microSD card"

which is hardly true, but I don't have enough time to explain.

Did you already try it or you are guessing?

Fernando.

I had a little time to experiment, and it seems to be that after using Win32DiskImager there is always a 50MB partition as well as a 1.27 GB partition. I think that the 1.27 partition is the ext3 one. This seems to be "consistent" with the requirement defined by Intel of using a card of at least 2 GB.

BR,

Fernando.

1 2 Previous Next