1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2016 6:02 PM by Intel Corporation

Does the NUC support external USB HDD

TicoJohn

I live in Costa Rica and the only NUC kits available appear to be those that do not support the internal 2.5" HDD. So, do the NUC kits support USB hard drives that are powered from the USB connector, or do I need a USB HDD that has its own power supply?

• 1. Re: Does the NUC support external USB HDD
          N.Scott.Pearson

This depends upon the requirements of the HDD that you are connecting, the NUC that you have purchased and the USB port on this NUC that you are plugging the HDD into...

Here's a set of general rules:

• If you are using a 5" HDD, it absolutely requires a separate power supply regardless of what NUC and what USB port.
          • If you are using a 2.5" HDD and are plugging it into a (blue or yellow) USB 3.0 port, no separate power supply is necessary.
          • If you are using a 2.5" HDD and are plugging it into two (black) USB 2.0 ports (i.e. special cable that has two USB plugs on one end), no separate power supply is necessary.
          • If you are using a 2.5" HDD and are plugging it into a single (black) USB 2.0 port, a separate power supply is usually necessary.

Here is the background information:

• Typically, 5" HDDs need 20W whereas 2.5" HDDs need less than 4W.
          • 5" HDDs require both 5V and 12V inputs, whereas 2.5" HDDs need only 5V.
          • Blue USB 3.0 ports provide 900mA (=4.5W) - which is enough for a 2.5" drive.
          • Yellow charging ports (USB 2.0 or USB 3.0) provide 1500mA (=7.5W) - which is plenty for a 2.5" drive.
          • Black USB 2.0 ports provide only 500mA (=2.5W) - which might not be enough for a 2.5" drive

Hope this helps,

...Scott

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Does the NUC support external USB HDD
            TicoJohn

Thanks Scott.  That's exactly the kind of into I needed. If I can't get my hands on a model such as the NUC6i3SYH that supports and internal 2.5 HDD then I can use an external 2.5 HDD, Super.

• 3. Re: Does the NUC support external USB HDD
              TicoJohn

Scott, or anyone, I have a few more questions. I can get the NUC5i5RYH, with 1TB HDD and 4GB installed, here in Costa Rica. It's a bit pricey, but the import and custom fees here are horrendous so it's not too far out of line.  My questions are the following:

1. Are there any issues, such as needing to update bios etc., that I need to know of before installing Linux (probably Ubuntu or Mint)?

1.1. Just verifying that the box fully supports 64 bit OS.

2. Is this model adequate for running a home theater system (Kodi)? The reason I ask is that it is not in the Intel table for bet usage as HTPC.

3. Is F10 used to break into the BIOS ?

I may have more questions later if I have trouble with the install. Thanks for your help.

• 4. Re: Does the NUC support external USB HDD
                MikeLevine

TicoJohn,

I recommend always updating your bios.

The NUC5i5RYH has a 64-bit processor.

I also recommend increasing your RAM to 8GB if you're going to run Windows.

I have a friend that uses one of these as his video surveillance system, and it seems to me the 5i5 should work well as an HTPC.

For Linux, 4GB should be ample.

F2 will get you to BIOS during the boot sequence.

• 5. Re: Does the NUC support external USB HDD
                  TicoJohn

Thank you Mike. Can you explain the BIOS update procedure. In all my years (30 +) of using PC's that is something I have never done. I presume there is a site where I download the updates and can store them on a USB. Then, from BIOS I can select the file on the USB for the update.

• 6. Re: Does the NUC support external USB HDD
                    TicoJohn

And I quit using Windows years ago. So yes, I will be using Linux. I am ad Debian user, but for a HTPC it seems that Ubuntu and Linux Mint are the best choices. I think Mint is a bit lighter so I may go that way.

• 7. Re: Does the NUC support external USB HDD
                      MikeLevine

Intel make it very easy for you.

Go to: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=NUC5i5RYH

2016-03-14_14-55-11.png

Click on the BIOS Update link and download the RY0355.BIO (in this instance).

Put it at the top level of a USB stick or your C: drive.

Restart the NUC and press F7.

• 8. Re: Does the NUC support external USB HDD
                        N.Scott.Pearson

You could almost say that an i5 is overkill for HTPC applications. You likely could get away with the (cheaper) i3 version...

• 9. Re: Does the NUC support external USB HDD
                          MikeLevine

Scott,

I agree. The i3 has plenty horse power for HTPC applications.

It appears he's gone with the i5.

• 10. Re: Does the NUC support external USB HDD
                            TicoJohn

Scott, the store I am dealing with apparently doesn't have the i3 available. I don't mind having more horse power than necessary. Too little would be the problem. Thanks for all the help.

• 11. Re: Does the NUC support external USB HDD
                              TicoJohn

I appreciate that info. I am probably going to first try to install the OS. If everything works as expected I will forgo the BIOS update. I have heard too many horror stories of people messing up the BIOS update and bricking he system. And if I wanted a brick I would have bought a GigaByte Brix. LOL!  Get it? 

So yeah, I order the 5i5RYH with HDD, memory, a wireless keyboard, UPS, HDMI cable, etc. Set me back a bit over $600. But when one factors in shipping, taxes, customs, etc. it really isn't much more than say buying from Amazon. Should have the hardware by Wednesday or Thursday. If all goes well I should have everything up and running no later than Friday afternoon. I wish me luck!  

• 12. Re: Does the NUC support external USB HDD
                                TicoJohn

I've been reading a lot of forums where people have had all manner of problems trying to install Ubuntu and Mint. Mostly problems with graphics. Maybe those problems are fixed in the latest BIOS. I suppose it is unlikely that the box I get will have the latest BIOS so maybe I should upgrade the BIOS, as I see it has a 2/25/2016 release date.

• 13. Re: Does the NUC support external USB HDD
                                  mikec_intel

Hi TicoJohn,

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Regards,
                                  Miguel C

• 14. Re: Does the NUC support external USB HDD
                                    TicoJohn

I certainly will. I have been doing a lot of reading about potential issues with Linux and the HD 6000 graphics chip. the Linux drivers, OS versions, haven't quite caught up with the ships set. However, it looks like Ubuntu 15.10 may be the solution. I prefer Debian but there are a lot of hoops to jump through to get it working. Besides, I have read positive results when people use Ubuntu 15.10 with the NUC5i5RYH so will probably go that way. I will post my results and if I have need for help I will certainly ask.

1 2 Previous Next