Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

Tjunction = safe operating temperature?

AM19
Beginner

I have read many topics here regarding tjunction and tcase for desktop processor. So my conclusion is Tjunction is for safe operating temperature range while Tcase is safe temperature (which taken from BIOS cpu temperature reading or speedfan) during normal use and/or light load. Is it safe to reach for example; 90C degrees of core temperature but still below tjunction max of 105C in terms of processor degradation, lifespan, and electromigration possibility? And also: near but still below maximum Tjunction = safe operating temperature for short period of time only or does it apply for longer use?

As quoted below from responses by intel representative:

"Anything from the Tcase and below will be the expected temperature of the processor in normal use, anything that doesn't stress out the processor (watching movies, burning CDs, browsing the internet, creating documents, etc.) When the processor is stressed out meaning that you are running heavy processor applications that take control of the CPU or uses it at 100% the temperature will go beyond the Tcase. It can perfectly reach 80 to 85 degrees and the processor will still be OK. The cooling fan is in charge to keep that temperature there."

Please response with technical detail if possible,

Thank you

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Processor temperature will vary from one processor model to another. The statement posted by the Intel representative is correct. I would need your processor model number.

Allan.

0 Kudos
AM19
Beginner

i5 3570k and i5 4690k. My question remains, is it safe in terms of longevity and lifespan-wise to put both cpus under load near tjmax with 10 degrees C margin continuously? Since the forementioned tcase applies to condition under light load and/or normal use only.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

As long as the processor works under specifications with a good cooling solution there should not be any issue. The processor has been designed to work under high temperature, specially if you own "k" versions.

Allan.

0 Kudos