3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2016 5:00 PM by PabloM_Intel

SET UP AUTOMATIC CONNECTION BETWEEN GALILEO AND OTHER DEVICES WITH BLUETOOTH

mart1na

Hi all,

I'm trying to set up an automatic connection between my Galileo board and other devices via bluetooth.

What I need to do is to give the bluetooth module's MAC address to my Galileo (in the terminal window), so, after pairing, when the Galileo sees that specific bluetooth module it connects automatically.

I've looked on the internet and found something that operates with the Edison board, but it seems not to work with the Galileo.

Can you help me??

Thank you

• 1. Re: SET UP AUTOMATIC CONNECTION BETWEEN GALILEO AND OTHER DEVICES WITH BLUETOOTH
          PabloM_Intel

Hi mart1na,

To enable Bluetooth capabilities on your Galileo board you’ll need a wireless card that features Bluetooth connectivity. The one most used in our guides is the N135, which is mostly used to enable WiFi connection but can also be used for Bluetooth. If you’re already set with that part I would suggest you to check the following links, https://communities.intel.com/thread/48360 and https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2014/05/30/bluetooth-on-intel-galileo-example-nap-internet-access. The first is a thread that explain how to pair an Intel Galileo with a N135 card to a specific device, and the second is a general view on Bluetooth tethering.

Regards,

Pablo

• 2. Re: SET UP AUTOMATIC CONNECTION BETWEEN GALILEO AND OTHER DEVICES WITH BLUETOOTH
            mart1na

Hi Pablo,

maybe I didn't explain myself properly.

I don't need to enable bluetooth on my Galileo board, I already did it. And I don't need to pair it with another device either, I already did this too.

I just need to know how to connect my Galileo board with another device from terminal.

I need to estabilish the connection in such a way that, when my Galileo and my bluetooth device see eachother they are able to estabilish a bluetooth connection in order to send and receive data.

I think that, as the pairing procedure, I should assign the MAC address of my bluetooth device to my Galileo (in the terminal window), in such a way that my Galileo recognizes it and then connects. 

Now I have them paired but not connected.

Can you help me with this?

Regards

Martina

• 3. Re: SET UP AUTOMATIC CONNECTION BETWEEN GALILEO AND OTHER DEVICES WITH BLUETOOTH
              PabloM_Intel

Hi mart1na,

I’m not sure if someone in the Community has tried this already, but looking at an older post from AlexanderMerz I found some information that might help you:

“BlueZ, the linux bluetooth stack turns a linux device into a bluetooth device. The Bluetooth handling is done by the bluetoothd daemon. In current versions the SDP support is handled by bluetoothd. (but not in really old versions, then there is a sdpd - a specific daemon to handle SDP, but this is just fyi)

Sdptool is a tool to manipulate your local SDP configuration (what the Galileo announces to other bluetooth devices) and to view remote SDP configurations (what other devices like your Mac announces).

The local SDP configuration is compiled into bluetooth but can be partly managed through the main.conf (the disable-/enable keys to switch Profiles and corresponding SDP entries on/off). But don’t care about this at the moment, RFComm is build into the local SDP config.

RFComm itself is what you are looking for. It is basically an emulation of a classic serial port. You send data to the ‘port’ and it shows up on the other device ‘as is’.”

You’ll need to enable this port that Alexander mentions, and he even provides this link for more information on RFComm, http://people.csail.mit.edu/albert/bluez-intro/x232.html.

Regards,

Pablo