cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

750 series compatibility with MSI Z170A gaming M7

RKerr1
New Contributor

Iam currently building a system based on a Msi Z1270A gaming M7 motherboard with an intel I7 6700 processor. Im very interested in incorporating two 1.2TB 750 series SSDs. I know that the Skylake processor only has 16 lanes of PCIe 3.0. that only service the 7 on board slots, Thats okay I want those 16 lanes for my graphics card (Strix R9 fury Direct CU111 Radeon R9 fury 4GB HBM). now because of that I have chosen to purchase my SSDs in the 2.5 inch form factor and run them thru the two onboard M.2 slots, which the manual states support PCIe 3.0x4 NVMe mini-SAS SSD with tubo U.2 host card and that part I get, the problem Im having is that I know those PCIe lanes are running thru the PCH, and everything I have read (and its quite a bit) states that the 750 series SSDs must run on lanes running directly to the cpu, now is this because of possible bottle necking with the DMI? And if so is it just DMI protocol 2.0 or 3.0 as well. any one who can offer thoughts on this it would be greatly appreciated before I go out and spend the money on these drives

1 REPLY 1

ASouz7
Valued Contributor

robkerr,

In this particular case the PCIe* lanes distribution belongs to the mother board manufacturer. the Intel® SSD 750 Series is better when it has direct PCIe* lanes to the CPU because a different setup may reduce its performance. As for the DMI, it may cause a bottle neck, but in this particular case, you may get a better detailed answer in this forum: or even with the mother board manufacturer: https://us.msi.com/product/motherboard/Z170A-GAMING-PRO.html Z170A GAMING PRO |