9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2010 5:48 AM by gtx

Intel® Desktop Board DP55WG

gtx

I’m looking for some RAM to this mainboard, but i can see that

it only can use ram whit 1.6V or else the processor can be damaged,

but the best RAM i can find to that board, goes from 1.65V and up

so can it rum whit ram that uses 1.65V?

and another question, dos the ram need to be whit XMP?

when the MHz is 1333 or less?

Regards

gtx

and sorry for my bad english

• 1. Re: Intel® Desktop Board DP55WG
          PeterUK

The real number is 1.65V not 1.6V.

XMP is an ease way to run the RAM at it fastest speed by setting the speed, timings and voltage.

• 2. Re: Intel® Desktop Board DP55WG
            gtx

hey peterUK thanks for your answer

nice so i can use those ram that i've found..

then intel should change it on their site:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dp55wg/sb/CS-030683.htm

"Using a DIMM with a voltage rating higher than 1.6 V may damage the processor."

• 3. Re: Intel® Desktop Board DP55WG
              Chinch

man... i'm confused now. looking at the latest spec, it does say 1.6v max -- I swear that was previously 1.5v. Then I read in another document that it could be at most 1.35v!

Here is the first one I'm looking at, which goes along with the original post:

•  Four 240-pin Double Data Rate 3 (DDR3) SDRAM Dual Inline Memory Module
              (DIMM) connectors with gold-plated contacts arranged in two channels
              •  1600/1333/1066 MHz DDR3 SDRAM interface
              •  Support for single- and dual-channel memory interleaving
              •  Unbuffered, non-registered single- or double-sided DIMMs with a voltage rating of
              less than 1.6 V 
                NOTE: Using a DIMM with a voltage rating higher than 1.6 V may damage the
              processor.
              •  Non-ECC DDR3 memory
              •  Serial Presence Detect (SPD) memory only
              •  Up to 16 GB maximum total system memory

btw, if you use XMP profiles on your DIMMs, or use the Intel Desktop Manager... whatever it's called -- there it makes sense, you raise the DDR multiplier from 10x to 12x with the default bus speed of 133mhz, which brings your 1333mhz memory up to 1600mhz, without changing the base clock speed or anything else.... yet if you do that, then go into the BIOS, it has changed the x-core multipliers (lowered them), etc... dropping turbo mode from 3.47ghz on my chip to 3.2ghz, or something strange like that. not sure if it has been fixed in a more recent BIOS update.

so.... here we go.... here's the technical product specification doc for the board:

1.5  System Memory
              The board has four DIMM sockets and supports the following memory features:
              •  1.35 V DDR3 SDRAM DIMMs (New JEDEC Specification)
              •  Two independent memory channels with interleaved mode support
              •  Unbuffered, single-sided or double-sided DIMMs with the following restriction:
              Double-sided DIMMs with x16 organization are not supported.
              •  16 GB maximum total system memory (with 2 Gb memory technology).  Refer to
              Section 2.1.1 on page 39 for information on the total amount of addressable
              memory.
              •  Minimum total system memory:  1 GB using 512 MB x16 module
              •  Non-ECC DIMMs
              •  Serial Presence Detect
              •  DDR3 1600 MHz, 1333 MHz, and DDR3 1066 MHz SDRAM DIMMs
              •  XMP version 1.2 performance profile support for memory speeds above 1333 MHz

sorry guys... i'm too whatever right now to research it, but just FYI, i am using Gskill Ripjawz memory, which is 1.5v memory, factory SPD sets it at 1333mhz, but it has a 1600 XMP profile to use.  you can get 4 gigs from newegg for probably about 95 bucks right now. that was about the only memory i could find at the time that was below 1.6 (again, i could have sworn older documentation said 1.5v max).

i'll get back to you on this. time to try and re-enable my other two cores and put this stick of memory back in... and pray i don't end up in endless BSOD... no safe mode... no recovery mode... last known good config doesn't work.....

• 4. Re: Intel® Desktop Board DP55WG
                phil_l

Hi

The memory or CPU could be faulty, did you use a anti-static wrist strap?  Have you tried one stick at a time to see if one of the sticks is faulty?

Regards

Phil

• 5. Re: Intel® Desktop Board DP55WG
                  gtx

if i use ram whit 1600mhz, 1.65V and xmp, on this mainboard, whit a core i5-750 processor,

will they then run whit 1333mhz or 1600mhz, if i don't change anything in the bios?

regards

gtx

• 6. Re: Intel® Desktop Board DP55WG
                    gtx

gtx wrote:

if i use ram with 1600mhz, 1.65V and xmp, on this mainboard, with a core i5-750 processor,

will they then run with 1333mhz or 1600mhz, if i don't change anything in the bios?

regards

gtx

isn't there anyone, who can tell me how they will run?

with 1333mhz or 1600mhz

regards

gtx

• 7. Re: Intel® Desktop Board DP55WG
                      gtx

http://communities.intel.com/message/73956#73956

I think I have found the answer here:

regards

gtx

• 8. Re: Intel® Desktop Board DP55WG
                        Chinch

hey gtx.. getting back to you... as mentioned in a reply up there.. XMP simply are like 'easy-settings' for memory. i think it stands for Xtended Memory Profile or something like that. It basically just allows you to select profiles, say, XMP-1333 or XMP-1600. the profile itself will automatically adjust all of the timings for the t(x) values (tCL, tRP, TRCD, tRAS, etc...) so you don't have to know the dirty details, plus the memory can set values that it has been manufactured to work best with --

EDIT: i'm sorry for missing details... it's 3am my time.... here is something i just found -- your processor only supports up to 1333mhz memory, though your board supports up to 1600mhz. in this case, you MAY have to end up UNDERclocking your memory to work with the processor. the board should automatically do this for you, though. most likely this is 133mhz base speed of your system, x10 multiplier on your memory. if your memory supports the XMP profiles, or you can change the multiplier from 10x to 12x (if it allows you this option), then you can run the memory at 1600mhz. whether this speed will be compatible/stable running with your processor, i am not sure, unfortunately.

here is what it says about your board:

Support for DDR3 1600+Σ1/1333/1066 MHz DIMMs

then the fine text says:

Σ1 DDR3 1600 or higher memory support on this motherboard requires compatible Intel® Extreme Memory Profiles (Intel® XMP) enabled memory or advanced knowledge of BIOS and memory tuning; individual results may vary.

so regardless, i *believe* you will be stuck at 1333mhz memory speed, regardless... without changing BIOS settings and messing with clock speeds. sorry.... unless i am incorrect... i am by no means a pro at that, so that is possible

here is a wealth of information on your processor itself, which could be useful to you in the future:

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=42915

and for your motherboard:

http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboards/DP55WG/DP55WG-overview.htm

those two will pretty much lead you to anything technical or otherwise you need to know about your CPU/board. i would definitely keep those

two links bookmarked as a place to start out for questions about your hardware, for sure!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Intel® Desktop Board DP55WG
                          gtx

hey Chinch, thanks for your reply, really a great help!

i think it covers most of my questions:)

btw. is there a processor for the LGA 1156,

that can operate with 1600mhz RAM?

regards

gtx