6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2016 11:10 AM by mikec_intel

Anyone else using a NUC6 as a Windows Media Center HTPC? - Issues/Pro's/Con's

det_bradlee

My system:

NUC6I5SYH

BIOS: 0033

RAM: 1 Stick HyperX Impact 8GB 260-Pin DDR4 SO-DIMM DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000) Laptop Memory Model HX421S13IB/8

OS Disk: SAMSUNG 850 EVO M.2 250GB SATA III Internal SSD Single Unit Version MZ-N5E250BW

Recording Disk: Seagate ST950032-5AS 500GB SATA II HDD (it's old and slow to spin up / will replace shortly)

Video: Using HDMI port to Samsumg LN46C750 TV

Network Connection: Ethernet

Input: Logitech K830 wireless keyboard/touchpad

Remote: Rosewill RRC-126 MCE Infrared Remote Control

Issue #1

When installing drivers for the IR receiver, the one listed in the Win7x64 group on the Intel support site did not install the Microsoft eHome interface. I had to use the driver included in the Win10x64 group, which is actually for all version 7/8/8.1/10.

Download Infrared: ITE Tech* Consumer Infrared (CIR) Driver for for Windows 10* for Intel® NUC

Issue #2

While watching any dark video, the screen flickers A LOT. Turning off the Contrast Enhancement from within the Intel Display Graphics Properties fixed this.

Pro's

Small size takes up almost no space next to my TV.

Very quick to boot or wake from sleep.

Having spaces for M.2 and standard SATA is great for a fast system and saving WMC recordings to a large secondary drive.

Full size HDMI on the new 6 Series is a huge plus! No more adapters needed.

Con's

4 USB ports is not enough! 6 would be ideal. I understand there are headers to add 2 additional USB2 ports, but this is not an option with the OEM case.

I could mount to the back of my TV, but I then lose sight of the onboard IR receiver. If I use an external IR receiver, I then take 1 of those very limited USB ports.

No useable USB2 port makes installing Windows7 a pain (need to inject drivers and fix Windows Update after install), but this is very easy to deal with.

No built in HDMI-CEC support, although an adapter is available for an additional $30. I would love for my NUC to be able to turn my TV on.

Power brick is too big! No company should be placing large bricks at the end of their plug these days. I wish it was inline like a laptop adapter so it didn't take up so much space on a power strip...