1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2016 1:21 PM by Intel_Peter

Too much hassle!

N7QNM

Galileo looked like a really cool hardware platform - Linux AND Arduino, 3.3 AND 5 V inputs; what more could anyone ask for.

How about software that works?   Not so much.

Trying to build an NTP server that will read pps from my GPS disciplined oscillator.   COMPLETE no-brainer with a big LInux box, cookbooks for BeagleBone and Raspberry Pi.   Galileo - I give up!

Tried to build Linux - errors in the BSP docs (hey. Intel, get some SOFTWARE guys so that you don't have to do all the silly cross-compiles - that's 1990s); found that errata - but wait, build fails because tar commands are incompatible with latest gnu tar.   Solution offered - spin up an old ubuntu machine just to use for Galileo cross-compiles - yeah. right.

I'll go back to my BeagleBone and have the whole thing built before I could get a working Linux on the Galileo.

Anyone want to buy 2 Galileo V1 boards?  $10 each including USPS shipping in US

• 1. Re: Too much hassle!
          Intel_Peter

Hello N7QNM,

I’m sorry you feel that way. However if you are still willing to give it a shot, we would be more than glad to help you. If that’s the case let us know and give us some more info about the issues you encountered, we’ll gladly give our best effort to help you.

Peter.

• 2. Re: Too much hassle!
            AdanChristo

yea i agree, shoulda bought raspberry pi 2 but stubborn me trusting in a 100 dollar lesser board, the galileo gen 2 i stumbled on so many issues, i need to be an electrical/software/computer/network engineer to start debugging on this ****, never again

• 3. Re: Too much hassle!
              SpiderKenny

N7QNM There is much truth in what you say.

>Tried to build Linux - errors in the BSP docs (hey. Intel, get some SOFTWARE guys so that you don't have to do all the silly cross-compiles - that's 1990s); found that errata - but wait, build fails because tar commands are incompatible with latest gnu tar.   Solution offered - spin up an old ubuntu machine just to use for Galileo cross-compiles - yeah. right.

I too have given up trying to re-build the linux kernel image, it's just too much of a fight against the current documentation and build tools. Compare the effort of rebuilding linux for Galileo against R-PI and you'll see what I mean.  (Hint: @intel get an intern to write up a comparison of both builds, do not give them any inside information, just google, and see where they gets to. Make sure they are allowed to be totally impartial ).

However I would say that Galileo is still a great product - if Intel could spare some time to get the Kernel Build and BSP documentation and tools updated then it would be an excellent product,

• 4. Re: Too much hassle!
                SpiderKenny

AdanChristo wrote:

yea i agree, shoulda bought raspberry pi 2 but stubborn me trusting in a 100 dollar lesser board, the galileo gen 2 i stumbled on so many issues, i need to be an electrical/software/computer/network engineer to start debugging on this crap, never again

Not so sure that the Galileo is a lesser board. It's aimed at a different audience, more 'maker' than 'user', but there are weaknesses in both platforms.

• 5. Re: Too much hassle!
                  FGT

SpiderKenny wrote:

AdanChristo wrote:

yea i agree, shoulda bought raspberry pi 2 but stubborn me trusting in a 100 dollar lesser board, the galileo gen 2 i stumbled on so many issues, i need to be an electrical/software/computer/network engineer to start debugging on this crap, never again

Not so sure that the Galileo is a lesser board. It's aimed at a different audience, more 'maker' than 'user', but there are weaknesses in both platforms.

I'll use the "more technical" kind of reply for "my two cents": I think that if you need to do exactly what is documented at Intel sites, then Galileo is fine. Unfortunately, the "what is documented at Intel sites" is rather ambiguous and sometimes inaccurate. Unfortunately for me, I rarely need what is documented... My previous experience with Arduino was too much simpler than what I've tried to do with Galileo, but maybe that it is because I initially assumed Galileo as a "Bigger Arduino", which is not. On the other hand, when I get something working in Galileo it's kind of a personal achievement (whatever that would mean...)

Again: just my two cents.

Fernando.

• 6. Re: Too much hassle!
                    joe-iot

I understand the frustration with getting started with the Galileo. I had been using the Arduino Yun for a class I teach . I decided to switch to the Galileo and bought a book from Make Magazine which was terrible, it only covered using the Galileo as an Arduino. I almost gave up.

But once I got used to thinking in a Galileo sort of way, I get it now and it is a nice board and fun to use.

Although if I were Intel I would do the following:

- Create one quick start guide covering using python or node.js to access sensors or shields.

- Create one supported image (remove the EoL SD card image).

- Support that one image with more packages in the repo for that image (php, snmp, iptables, etc)

Just check out Sparkfun's guide for getting started with the Edison for a great example of a guide: https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/edison-getting-started-guide

Cheers,

-Joe

• 7. Re: Too much hassle!
                      N7QNM

Thanks for all the replies!  Well stated, and I agree with them.  I suspect I COULD get the Galileo working (might still wind up trying, one of the issues with tbe BeagleBone is that it's an RF "noisemaker" and, as you might imagine, that's not good in my environment).

Intel builds good stuff - I hope they're listening to this and will perhaps try make some improvements. 

In fact, if someone who "knows how" (from Intel maybe) can send me a "cookbook" for getting bitbake to work on the LATEST ubuntu/debian release (i.e. with GNU Tar 1.26 or later); I'll definitely give it another shot

Clay

• 8. Re: Too much hassle!
                        N7QNM

Hey, Peter - just saw this (for some reason it didn't come through mail).    Yeah, I'd love to get it working - bottom line is, I HAVE to rebuild Linux in order to get the PPS stuff in the kernel for the GPS.   So, right now, using Debian Jessie for the build platform, bitbake fails because it's using a TAR command that's been deprecated,     The only solutions I've seen were to downgrade tar (not possible, too many other dependencies) or use an OLD version of ubuntu.   Unfortunately, right now I don't have the time/energy/resources to spin up a VM with an old ubuntu. 

So - that's the details - if someone can come up with a fix (or maybe even just point me at where in all the levels of scripting the TAR command is located); I'll give it a shot

• 9. Re: Too much hassle!
                          Intel_Peter

Could you tell me which BSP are you using? Also, could you please let me know which version of GNU Tar you are using? Is it 1.26? Or, is it a newer version?

Please note that Yocto has only validated the operating systems found in the list found on section 1.3.1 of Yocto Project's Mega Manual. Other platforms may not be compatible or could fail when trying to build the BSP.

Peter.

• 10. Re: Too much hassle!
                            N7QNM

Thanks! Not 100% which BSP I’m using; but, the root of the (current)  problem is GNU Tar.  I’m using 1.27 (and have tried 1.28), and according to the forum posts I’ve found, there’s some sort of incompatibility with 1.27 (and later) of Tar.   That’s what comes with Debian Jessie (released in April of 2015).   I did check Yocto, and the latest they support is Debian Wheezy (release before Jessie).

Which gets back to the root of all of this (sorry if I sound like a broken record) – by choosing the “embedded” approach; you’re requiring folks to use a year old copy of Linux.

Until/unless Yocto upgrades, I guess I’m screwed.    One hope – I have a new server I’m building that will be running OpenStack, once I have that up, I can spin up a VM with one of the Yocto supported releases.    I’d REALLY like to use the Intel board, because it’s got 5V inputs (as opposed to the Pi and Beagle Bone which are both 3.3V) and a level converter will introduce noise/delay.

So, I’ll put this project back on the “back burner” again for a few weeks and once I get my VM server up and running, give things another shot.

Thanks again.

Clay

• 11. Re: Too much hassle!
                              Intel_Peter

I understand how you feel, but I must say that it's really hard to keep a tool such as Yocto up to date with the latest versions of everything, even more if you take in consideration that this tool is used to create custom OSs for not just Galileo but several embedded boards. Hopefully they'll release a newer version that supports GNU Tar 1.27 and up, but right now we can only wait and work with the current workarounds we have (like using an older version of Tar for example).

When you are able to test building the BSP on your VM let us know, we'll gladly help you in case you run into any issues. Also, when you try to build the BSP, I'd suggest you to use Quark's BSP 1.2.1 since it's the latest version compatible with Galileo (it is not Galileo specific but it indeed is Galileo compatible).

Peter.

• 12. Re: Too much hassle!
                                FGT

Intel_Peter wrote:

I understand how you feel, but I must say that it's really hard to keep a tool such as Yocto up to date with the latest versions of everything,

Hopefully they'll release a newer version that supports GNU Tar 1.27 and up, but right now we can only wait and work with the current workarounds we have

Peter.

This is exactly what I think... which makes me think there was some wrong strategic decision (or asumptions) on the software Galileo was going to run... but that's about strategy... not the point here.

Fernando.

• 13. Re: Too much hassle!
                                  N7QNM

Hi, Peter - that link is broken.  Do you have a better link?  I got my VM server up and running and now have an instance of Ubuntu 14.04, which is on the Yocto list; so I think I'm ready to restart.

Thanks!

Clay

• 14. Re: Too much hassle!
                                    Intel_Peter

Hi Clay,

Which link is giving you problems? I posted the following links above and they both work for me:

http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.7.2/mega-manual/mega-manual.html

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/release-notes/quark-x1000-bsp-build-sw-rel-user-guide.pdf

Let me know, I'll gladly help you

Peter.

1 2 Previous Next