7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2016 8:14 AM by mikec_intel

NUC5I5MYHE sata HDD not recognized.

John_E_Buis_II

Hello, I have recently purchased a NUC5 I5 MYHE. I have a 750g HDD (I think Seagate, do not have the model number right now.)

I have the HDD plugged in and was able to add it as a datastore in ESXI 5.5. It worked for a day until the device restarted. At that point the NUC did not come back online. (I had no monitor hooked into it but saw no lights.) I tried to boot it up and ping the static IP on the NUC but it never came up. I hooked a monitor to it and ESXI was corrupted (running on an 8g thumb drive.) I reinstalled that and noticed the drive was not selectable as a datastore anymore. I booted into the BIOS and saw the HDD there. I restarted the NUC again and when I went into the BIOS I noticed the HDD was no longer recognized.

Since then I have updated the BIOS with no change. I can hook the HDD up to a USB external case and it works fine.

Also I left the drive hooked up and it seems whenever I restart my NUC it never boots up again. I was just running it for a week with ESXI running (NFS storage) and a Windows Server VM on that. Just this morning I tried to ping the server and host and they are unreachable.

I will remove the HDD and sata cable and check the status of it again but was looking for any assistance in the meantime.

• 1. Re: NUC5I5MYHE sata HDD not recognized.
          mikec_intel

Hi John_E_Buis_II,

I recommend you to enable UEFI and Legacy boot options on Boot tab. BIOS update changes the settings to default, if you had the Chipset Sata mode as RAID, it is necessary to change it again.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,
          Mike C

• 2. Re: NUC5I5MYHE sata HDD not recognized.
            John_E_Buis_II

My NUC went offline a couple of days ago. As of right now I am trying to power it up. It is getting power but it is never sending the output to a monitor. I am seeing no way to get into the BIOS screen to change the options.

Is there any tricks for this now?

• 3. Re: NUC5I5MYHE sata HDD not recognized.
              mikec_intel

Hi John_E_Buis_II,

Let’s try to narrow down the issue. Use NUC, 1 memory stick and video cable (miniDP to DP). Plug a headphone to the NUC, press and hold the power button, after the third beep release the button, the NUC will display the options to get into the visual BIOS, BIOS recovery and 3 other options.

Second way:
              Remove BIOS configuration jumper and turn the system on, you should see the options below:

Let me know how it works.

Regards,
              Mike C

• 4. Re: NUC5I5MYHE sata HDD not recognized.
                John_E_Buis_II

Let me say thank you for your assistance.

My current status is that I cannot even get my NUC to display to my monitor to check the BIOS settings.

My connection is as follows

Monitor - Cable (HMDI to DVI) - Adapter (DVI to mini Display) - NUC (This works to the mini Display of my Lenovo W540 as a test)

I tried on another monitor that previously worked but is not currently working.

Monitor - Cable (DVI to DVI) - Adapter (DVI to mini Display) - NUC

I hooked up a USB keyboard, removed the bootable USB stick I was using, have only 1 RAM stick in the NUC and plugged earphones into it. I have unplugged the bottom of the NUC (the SATA and power port) for this testing.

I tried to hold the power button down when powering the NUC and at one point I heard the 3 beeps but every other attempt the NUC will just power down if I keep holding the bottom. I did at one point enable the NUC to power up when it detects power which it is not currently doing so it seems the BIOS did reset.

I removed the BIOS jumper and booted the NUC but see no output.

• 5. Re: NUC5I5MYHE sata HDD not recognized.
                  mikec_intel

Hi John_E_Buis_II,

I regret the inconvenience with your Intel® NUC Kit 5I5MYHE. I believe the next step is the replacement of the NUC. Get in touch with

Contact Support team using our chat, email or phone support.

Is it possible I encourage you to test your NUC using a high speed HDMI 1.4b video cable (HDMI to HDMI)?

Regards,
                  Mike C

• 6. Re: NUC5I5MYHE sata HDD not recognized.
                    John_E_Buis_II

I do not have that specific cable on hand.

I have started the RMA procedure via the support site.

Thank you once again for your support. I am not sure if it is the appropriate action but I did mark your last response as "Correct Answer."

John Buis

• 7. Re: NUC5I5MYHE sata HDD not recognized.
                      mikec_intel

Hi John_E_Buis_II,

Thank you for your feedback. Let me know if you need further assistance.

Regards,
                      Mike C