Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14527 Discussions

xtu(extreme tuning utility) app pairing bugs

EJung1
Beginner

According to its help file, App-Profile pairing feature provides dynamic switching between profiles. It says when registerd app goes foreground XTU activates matching profile.

Tested with XTU 6.0.2.8, I suspect this feature has some bugs.

Here is the case.

1) XTU windows is not shown

XTU has "Intel extreme tuning utility" service, and it seems to provide background monitoring.

It seems working, though not works as expected.

expected scenario>

windows boot->launch app 1->switches to the profile immediately->close app 1->launch app 2->switches to another profile->...

actual result>

windows boot->launch app 1->switches to the profile eventually, after very long time(about 10min?)->close app 1->launch app 2->nothing happens (or need more time?)

2) XTU windows is shown

In "App-Profile Pairing" page, you can check which app is active and the profile must be acitvated.

XTU window recognizes foreground app, but fails to switch to profile.

expected scenario>

windows boot->launch app 1->switches to the profile immediately->close app 1->launch app 2->switches to another profile->...

actual result>

windows boot->launch app 1->switches to the profile immediately->close app 1->launch app 2->nothing happens, though app2-profile pair is highlighted.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, finejustice:

Could you please let us your hardware configuration?

Regards,

0 Kudos
EJung1
Beginner

cpu: i5-3570k

mb: asrock z77 extreme4

ram: 8G

need more?

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Thank you.

I have been running some tests based on your description but I am not able to replicate what you are reporting. The profiles that I created worked fine, in fact this the result I got is this; windows boot>launch app 1>switches to the profile immediately>close app 1>launch app 2>switches to another profile.

If you could add more details about what you are trying to do it would help to narrow the issue. In the meantime I would recommend updating your current BIOS version at http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme4/?cat=Download&os=BIOS ASRock > Z77 Extreme4.

Regards,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have a similar problem.

I can set up profiles. test them out, and they work fine.

shut down my system normally and restart.

profiles exist but no longer change the cpu parameters.

It is interesting, that the activation program seemingly is detected, the some system table parameter entries change from grey to yellow, but no changes are made to any of the parameter values. then they go back to grey. nothing changed. just a flash of yellow.

asrock z97 extreme6

0 Kudos
ESIWO
Beginner

Same problem here (since more than one year unsolved via INTEL Business portal, which not longer answers technical question as ticket and revered to post all technical problems here with the community)

We tested the newest version of XTU, now the 6.0.2.8, with several hardware from ASUS (ASUS X99-A, PRO, DELUXE, Z170-A, PRO) and INTEL (DX79SR, SI, TO) with many INTEL CPU with free multiplier like i7 5960X, 2700K, 2600K, 6700K, 4930K, etc.

We installed several Windows OS, like Windows 7 Pro und Ultimate 64x, Windows 10 pro 64x as fresh setup without any additional software.

Finaly the app pairing function never worked as it should. It is exactly as described here: table parameters recognize the app coming up (yellow frames), but no changes in CPU parameters that could take effect.

We had long discussions with INTELs support before and answered many questions about everything like, RAM type, PSU type, third party software etc.

Until today, the INTEL Extreme Tuning Utility never supported APP Pairing under no circumstances. We have to determine: APP PAIRING DOES NOT WORK AND INTEL DOES NOT KNOW WHY AND DO NOT CARE ABOUT THIS (last version change is from 10/12/2015)

It would be great if INTEL would take some resources to fix this. I am sure many customers would appreciate.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Interesting. It worked perfectly in my Windows 7 and 10 Professional 32 Bit system for a year or so. But when I upgraded to the 64 Bit platform it only works when app profiles are setup during one login sequence. Doesn't work on the next login. Hopefully they will look at it.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

XTU 6.1.2.8 was just released. Problem is not corrected.

When a paired app is running, the color of the selected profile and some profile settings get highlighted in yellow, but changes are never made.

Good News: i've tried the command line method to make changes and it does work ! In the previous release it did not.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility\Client\xtucli" -t -id 29 -v 46

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility\Client\xtucli" -t -id 30 -v 45

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility\Client\xtucli" -t -id 31 -v 44

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility\Client\xtucli" -t -id 32 -v 43

there is only one program to install. Maybe I need a 64 bit version, as it looks like it is being installed in a 32bit directory.

Additionally, it seems that the active core monitor is not working the same way that it used to.

(I see 4 cores running at 97% but active core count shows 2. Previous version showed 4.)

Is anybody watching ?

0 Kudos
TT0001
Beginner

Problem is exactly the same with my i5-8300H. Hope they take this issue seriously. App-profile pairing should be the most vital function of XTU.😂

0 Kudos
YRahm
Beginner

Hi finejustice, salamkenal

i have notebook acer 4750G,but i cant using intel XTU.how could it be?

0 Kudos