5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2016 5:35 PM by mikec_intel

NUC5CPYH with Ubuntu 14.04 on flash (USB) - Boot Issues

miannuzzi

have a NUC5CPYH with Ubuntu 14.04 on flash (USB); the system has only booted successfully 3 out of 30 times, I use BIOS default and changed to boot on USB first, I have supported DRAM; help please.

• 1. Re: NUC5CPYH with Ubuntu 14.04 on flash (USB) - Boot Issues
          mikec_intel

Hi miannuzzi,

You are getting an odd issue. We have tested Linux Ubuntu, Mint and Fedora without any issue. The requirements are memories of DDR3L-1333/1600MHz at 1.35V SO-DIMM, Hard Disk Drive or Solid State Drive of 2.5” (laptop).

It is very important to use a standard VGA cable or high speed HDMI 1.4b.

Let me know the current BIOS version and customized settings, brand name and model of the memory, Ubuntu version( Desktop, Server or any other). I will do a lab with this NUC model.

Supported Operating Systems for Intel® NUC Products

Regards,
          Mike C

• 2. Re: NUC5CPYH with Ubuntu 14.04 on flash (USB) - Boot Issues
            miannuzzi

Hello Mike,

I returned the 5CPYH to Amazon and purchased NUC5PGYH. As you know Windows 10 is preinstalled. I installed a Samsung V-NAND SSD 850 RVO 250 GB solid state hard drive. My video cable is an Amazon ‘high speed’ HDMI cable. Ubuntu 14.0.4 is on a Flash drive. I tried running Linux on this computer. The only change I made was the boot order so that it would search the USB first. I receive the same behavior as with the 5CPYH. A screen appears that allows me to choose 32 or 64 bit Linux. I choose 64 bit. The system goes through the required diagnostics. The final screen is a blinking cursor with nothing else on the screen. I have notice that sometime during the unsuccessful boot procedure the text is sometimes white and sometimes amber and sometimes it switches from white to amber.

Thanks Mike

• 3. Re: NUC5CPYH with Ubuntu 14.04 on flash (USB) - Boot Issues
              mikec_intel

Hi miannuzzi,

If you want to install Ubuntu or any other operating system with a 2.5” drive, it is necessary to do the following instructions.

Install the latest BIOS version 0048

Download BIOS Update [PYBSWCEL.86A]

Then, get into the BIOS>Advanced>Boot>Boot Configuration>OS Selection: choose Linux

Check the option boot USB devices first.

From Boot Priority make sure the 2.5” drive is selected as main (first drive, move up)

Regards,
              Mike C

• 4. Re: NUC5CPYH with Ubuntu 14.04 on flash (USB) - Boot Issues
                miannuzzi

Hello Mike C,

I had purchased a 'bootable' Ubuntu 14.04 USB drive that rarely booted successfully with either NUC. I decided to create a bootable Linux operating system via the Ubuntu website. Guess what? It works. I can boot either NUC with Linux! I left one of the NUCs with Windows 10 and I installed Ubuntu on the other and I lived happily forever after!

Thanks for your help. I wanted to try Linux because I use to work at AT&T we used UNIX so I thought the command line version of Linux was retro. I also like the Linux gui. My only issue is a flash player for Linux...

Thanks again for your help,

Mike I

• 5. Re: NUC5CPYH with Ubuntu 14.04 on flash (USB) - Boot Issues
                  mikec_intel

Hi miannuzzi,

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad both NUCs are working properly.

Regards,
                  Mike C