8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2016 5:25 PM by mikec_intel

NUC6i3SYH has no wifi or ethernet signal

mccririck

I just installed Windows 10 x64 on my NUC6i3SYX and it had no wifi or Ethernet signal even though I had a LAN cable plugged in and my modem and router are both on and working. I plugged in a USB wifi dongle and it got a wifi signal right away. Can anyone explain this?

• 1. Re: NUC6i3SYH has no wifi or ethernet signal
          N.Scott.Pearson

Did you download and install the latest Intel LAN and Wireless (and Bluetooth) drivers from Intel's Download Center? My recommendation: do not rely on Microsoft's Windows Update.

...S

• 2. Re: NUC6i3SYH has no wifi or ethernet signal
            mccririck

Well if you're talking about Intel Driver Update Utility it seems to find updates which are actually older versions (lower version numbers).

Wifi is now working, I think Windows update fixed it.

• 3. Re: NUC6i3SYH has no wifi or ethernet signal
              N.Scott.Pearson

No, not Intel's Driver Update utility. It doesn't even handle all of the drivers necessary to each NUC. I download and install the drivers manually. I have never had a problem this way; these are the drivers that Intel has validated for the particular NUC in question. Sometimes, newer versions of the drivers (found elsewhere) can cause problems. Remember that they might not have been specifically tested with the NUC and contain incompatibilities. For this same reason, I also do not let Windows Update touch my drivers; I have seen situations (all too often) where it updates a driver and screws my system up.

...S

• 4. Re: NUC6i3SYH has no wifi or ethernet signal
                mccririck

Interesting. I have checked a few drivers in the Download Center for my NUC and have newer versions installed of the three I have checked so far. Seems odd.

• 5. Re: NUC6i3SYH has no wifi or ethernet signal
                  N.Scott.Pearson

No, this is not odd; it seems perfectly logical to me.

The drivers that are posted for a particular NUC are those that have specifically been validated as working - including for interoperability with other drivers and BIOS - on this NUC. Let's pick an example to simplify the discussion: video. It is possible that the driver team has validated and released a driver for a particular processor (or video) family, and this driver happens to support the processor used in a particular NUC. You may be able to find (and download) this driver (via Download Center and perhaps even through Windows Update) if you search for the latest driver supporting a particular processor (or video) family. You might find, however, that an older version of this driver is what is posted as the latest for this particular NUC. Why? There are two possibilities:

1. This newer driver has simply not yet been validated on this particular NUC.
                  2. This newer driver exhibits an issue or some other side-effect is occurring when it was validated with this NUC and its BIOS and other drivers.

What does this mean and why should you care? 99 times out of 100, this newer driver is going to work just fine with your NUC. There is the odd occasion, however, where something anomalous occurs as a result. For this reason, unless I am already fighting a problem and looking for a solution for it (in which case I might try the newer driver), I will stick with what has been tested fully. I consequently do not allow Windows Update to update any of the drivers on my systems. I update them only when I know the drivers have been validated.

...Scott

• 6. Re: NUC6i3SYH has no wifi or ethernet signal
                    mikec_intel

Hi mccririck,

Let me know if you are still experiencing internet connection issues.

Regards,
                    Mike C

• 7. Re: NUC6i3SYH has no wifi or ethernet signal
                      mccririck

Working now. I had to download the ethernet driver from the intel website.

• 8. Re: NUC6i3SYH has no wifi or ethernet signal
                        mikec_intel

Hi mccririck,

Thank you for your feedback.

Regards,
                        Mike C