Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20499 Discussions

My Dell will not recognize the latest graphics driver that I have downloaded from Intel. What is my next step to upgrade my driver?

AWhit15
Beginner

I have a Dell Inspiron 5748 with Windows 10 and 4th Gen i7. I have integrated Intel HD graphics. My present graphics driver is the 10.18.15.4274. I downloaded the Intel HD graphics driver for Windows 10 Gen 4, number 15.40.10.4300.zip to my downloads folder, from Intel. When I try to update my driver, my device manager says I have the latest graphics driver. When I try to manually install, my device manager does not even see the file in my downloads.

When I look up my present 10.18.15.4274 driver on the Intel site I see that it is for Windows 8.1 machines. I am updated to Windows 10.

My main question is this: Am I right to try and upgrade to this other driver?

Secondary question: This is the right driver for my Windows 10, i7 4th gen, HD graphics laptop I assume?

The main reason I am upgrading is because of the upgrade needed warning I keep getting from Adobe Illustrator saying I don't have the latest driver.

Thanks All...

0 Kudos
5 Replies
IUman
Honored Contributor II

Hello AScottW,

Thank you for joining the Intel communities.

Could you please provide us with the DxDiag?

1. From the Windows desktop, press the Windows key and the R key to open the Run window
  2. In the "Open:" field of the Run window, type "dxdiag". Click OK or the Enter key to open the DirectX Diagnostic Tool.
  3. In the DirectX Diagnostic Tool window, click the "Save All Information" button.
  4. In the "Save As" window, the DirectX information will be saved as a text (.TXT) file. Designate where the file will be saved (such as the Desktop or other easily accessible location) and then click on the "Save" button.

I will appreciate if you can post that information here to assist you better.

Best regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
AWhit15
Beginner

Hello Ivanu_intel. I appreciate you taking an interest in answering my questions. I have attached the dxdiag that you requested.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
IUman
Honored Contributor II

Please try again installing the driver but this time use the .exe file instead of the zip file.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25489/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-15-40-4th-Gen-?product=81497 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 [15.40][4th Gen]

Please be aware that Intel provides generic versions of drivers for general purposes. Your computer manufacturer may have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to your driver. Intel recommends you contact your computer manufacturer for the latest system specific updates and technical support information.

You can also see how to install this driver when a customized driver is detected http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005469.html Error Message: Computer Manufacturer Graphics Driver Detected

Note: Once you install the "generic" driver you will overwrite any customizations your system manufacturer made to the driver specific for your system model.

0 Kudos
AWhit15
Beginner

I initially tried to just install the driver .exe as you requested. That did not work and created an error message. When I went to Intel to find out what the error message meant, I was informed that I would have to uninstall the older driver to even be able to install the newer one.

I have resolved this issue. What I did was this:

1. I created a restore point.
  2. I uninstalled and deleted my old graphics drivers.
  3. I used the .exe file to install the newest driver.

Works great now, and no complaints from my Adobe software about an out of date driver.

Thanks for your help, ivanu_intel!

0 Kudos
IUman
Honored Contributor II

You're very welcome and I'm glad that your issue has been resolve.

Thank you for letting me know how you solved this problem.

Best wishes,

Ivan

0 Kudos