3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2016 1:50 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

R9 280 Won't POST (DH67CL mobo)

johnson384

Hi, I have a R9 280 that is not POSTing after upgrading to this DH67CL motherboard.

The card is seated properly in the PCIe slot, and the two 6 pin connectors on the card are connected to my 600W OCZ PSU.

I can mess with it long enough (Changing BIOS settings, etc) to get it to work, it will boot into windows, run games, etc. but after about 15-20 minutes of playing a game, or if the computer goes into standby mode, the monitor shuts off and can't be woken again, or if it is woken, nothing is being displayed.

After holding the power button down until the computer shuts off, I'll restart only to get the motherboard error beeps that no video card is installed.

ONboard video works fine, no problems.

Full Specs:

Intel DH67CL Motherboard

Intel Core i5 2500k CPU

16GB G-Skill Ripjaw Series DDR3 RAM

Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB GPU

OCZ 600W PSU

BIOS is updated to the latest version (just did the update an hour ago to see if that was the problem).

The only thing I'm thinking is it could be the 8 pin connectors? The GPU has two 6-pin connectors, and I'm using an 8-pin to 6-pin on one of them and an 8-pin to 6+2 on the other. LIke I said, it works, driver is updated, but shuts down, then the motherboard reads it as not properly installed and I can't get it to POST.

• 1. Re: R9 280 Won't POST (DH67CL mobo)
          N.Scott.Pearson

You are running into a compatibility issue that is happening more and more often. There are two manifestations of the compatibility issue,

1. Video Card has expectations of the motherboard that cannot be met. For example, requiring PCIe 3.0 support but the board only has PCIe 2.0 support.
          2. Motherboard's BIOS has expectations of the Video Card's Option-ROM (Op-ROM, which contains the card-specific portion of the Video support for the BIOS) that are not being met. For example, no legacy (i.e. non-UEFI) Op-ROM support.

For the first issue, there is no recourse but to use an older video card (remember, your board is 4 generations and 5 years old out of date; some of the features of today's video cards didn't exist back then). For the second issue, enabling UEFI in the BIOS will sometimes help - but this may mean reinstalling your OS for UEFI boot.

I wish I had a better answer; it is what it is...

...Scott

• 2. Re: R9 280 Won't POST (DH67CL mobo)
            johnson384

Thanks for the info Scott, this is what I was afraid of. I guess I'll have to upgrade the motherboard, since it's the older (and cheaper) of the two components.

• 3. Re: R9 280 Won't POST (DH67CL mobo)
              N.Scott.Pearson

Yea, you could look at a 7 Series (B75, H77, Z77) motherboard as an upgrade. Everything else you have should work ok with it. I would add, however, that these motherboards are getting harder and harder to find reasonably priced and you are only putting off the compatibility issues for a short while. You might want to look at replacing both the motherboard and processor...

...S