5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2016 9:52 AM by allan_intel

Raid 5 Failure

ltr.az

Rapid Storage Raid question.  I had a raid 5 volume that failed because 2 drives dropped out of the volume and said missing.  But they were still visible to the OS and BIOS as regular drives albeit not formatted.  The serial numbers in the missing volume said serial number:1 and outside of the raid volume reported just the serial number.  There did not seem to be a way in the bios or storage application to just say these are the drives (droids?) you are looking for.  If the drives are still Ok, Why did they fall out and how can I fix this without recreating the raid volume.  Seems like the Storage FW kicked the drives out without warning but gladly takes the drives into a newly created array.  This does not make sense.  Anyone know how to make Intel Raid actually work for you?  The point is to be able to handle errors not bail and fail when they do.

• 1. Re: Raid 5 Failure
          allan_intel

Can send a picture of the RAID BIOS? This would be CTRL + I during boot process.

Allan.

• 2. Re: Raid 5 Failure
            ltr.az

I can recreate the Rapid interface.  The bios just showed the failed volume with 2/4 in the volume. The only options there were to delete the Raid volume.  The missing drives were in the drive list.  Just not in the raid.  I did have one drive listed as spare for the raid.  The strange thing is that the missing drives are available.  They just both dropped out at the same time.  The spare did not even have time to kick in nor did it try.  I have an ASUS Sabertooth Z87 rev 1.  Without changing anything I deleted the raid volume and recreated.  Backed up and the Raid now acts fine. 

Intel raid setup.png

• 3. Re: Raid 5 Failure
              allan_intel

Thanks for sharing the information. I am glad the RAID computer is working again.

Allan.

• 4. Re: Raid 5 Failure
                ltr.az

Maybe I have the wrong expectation but the fact that I could get it working again is worrisome.  Is it normal behavior to have a Raid volume spuriously fail without warning in a state that is not recoverable then using the same HW have the setup say everything is ok?  This makes me think that the raid setup is adding risk and not protecting me against it.  It just seems like I am always relying on SW backup as the Raid gets tripped up too easily.  Are there any log files or event logs that would explain why the setup failed?

• 5. Re: Raid 5 Failure
                  allan_intel

There has never been any log or even log that explain failures through Intel® Rapid Storage. Failure issue are shown on the RAID BIOS (CTRL +I) or within Intel® Rapid Storage software.

Allan.