1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 25, 2016 5:44 AM by DiegoV_Intel

Can we make a drone with just Intel Edison and its arduino board?

CyberGhost

Hi,

I was wondering can we make a drone without any flight controller or extra hardware, just with Intel Edison and its arduino expansion board also with Groove's starter kit. Can we do so? and how, just a glance. I wanted to make a drone that will live stream the camera to my computer, with a wifi hotspot device in drone and through it Edison will connect to internet. Can we do so?

Thanks,

Durgesh

• 1. Re: Can we make a drone with just Intel Edison and its arduino board?
          DiegoV_Intel

Hi CyberGhost,

The Wi-Fi and camera part could be possible to do only with the Edison and the Arduino Expansion Board (and a camera of course). Actually, there is a guide about something like this in the following site, I recommend you to check it: GitHub - drejkim/edi-cam: Video streaming on Intel Edison

However, regarding the "drone" part, I hardly think it could be done without any extra hardware. I'm thinking just in the flying part, you will need motors for this, and a way to power them. Powering the motors through the Arduino Expansion Board is not recommended.

Anyhow, I recommend you to look for drone projects based on the Arduino UNO board. You will find a lot of projects and examples, so you could use them to get a better idea about what you could need to make the drone, and what extra hardware might be needed too. Then, you could port these ideas to Edison.

Regards,

Diego

1 of 1 people found this helpful