Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14397 Discussions

6700k crashing at stock settings, bad chip?

SPatt1
Beginner

Specs first

Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 7

eVGA 16Gb (2x8Gb) DDR4 2800mhz

Custom water loop (more than cool enough)

In some stress testing including Intel extreme, prime, linpack, Aida64, etc this chip will fail. Stock voltage readings are over 1.4v (which I've read is considered the safe limit for these chips). I've seen it run at 1.42v under load nearly constant at times.

I've tried 4 different variants of the BIOS updates, different versions of testing applications, with and without the iGPU enabled. It seems to happen when the chip runs into turbo frequency on all four cores while under stress (4.2Ghz). Prime95 usually will throw worker failures (which isn't stable but doesn't exactly compromise the system) and the Intel Extreme test has led to the blue screen of death. I've tried settings suggested to me by Gigabyte with their settings to get it stable at "Optimized Defaults".

I've never had a chip do this (I've had way to many over my time with PC's) and figured it was the motherboard. I replaced it and still have the same issue (same motherboard model). I had a friend bring his i3-6100 over to see if maybe something was faulty somewhere else but it's completely stable. (i3's are funny under water blocks btw). I am still within the stores exchange limitations, should I go this route and exchange the chip? I'm sure if I dumped more voltage to it; it would be stable but I'm not risking the chip if I don't have to (play it safe I always say). What should my next steps be here?

Thank you ahead of time!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, Phork:

Please download and run the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool Download Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool, once the test is done attach the report file.

Regards,

0 Kudos
SPatt1
Beginner

It shows as everything has passed. I ran the tests a few times but the chip never would reach 4.2Ghz only 4.0Ghz. I don't have turbo boost disabled currently as it is set to "optimized defaults". I ran Prime95 just to test to see if it passed and at 14 minutes worker # 7 ran into an error. The temperatures are low, everything on stock, updated bios to handle the "skylake prime number" bug. I'm literally at a loss for what's going on with this chip.

Would bumping the voltage offset void the warranty on the chip? I never was sure about this with processors. My last system (2600k) has been running for years at lower than stock voltage at a nice overclock after I verified everything was working as per expected with stock settings. I've never had a processor fail any stress test at stock as I've always overdid the cooling solutions (sorry but the stock HSF's intel and AMD provide are a bare minimum at best in my opinion).

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

At this stage I would recommend to contact us at http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html Contact Support in order to check the replacement options for your processor.

Regards,

0 Kudos
SPatt1
Beginner

I'll call Micro Center (where I purchased it) and see what they say for me. I do believe they'll replace the CPU for me as well since it's been within their policy window. I still suspect the motherboard, but other chips working fine in it make me wonder. Thank you Amy_Intel!

0 Kudos
SPatt1
Beginner

Just wanted to update you Amy_Intel. I talked with the helpful people at Microcenter and they did an exchange on the spot for me. New processor is running 20C cooler, seems completely stable (running AIDA right now 34 minutes in) and passed the test you sent me! Thank you for your help! This is what I was hoping for when I bought my chip! This thing is great!

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Thank you for the update.

Nice! You're welcome, I'm glad to hear that.

Enjoy your Intel® Processor.

0 Kudos