10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2016 3:36 PM by mikec_intel

nuc6i5syh froze and won't boot

evanzel

After about three weeks my nuc6i5syh just died. I had not noticed anything but occasional freezes during Windows 10 operation once every couple of days. They did not happen during linux operation so I attributed them to windows 10. It seems I was wrong. Today it froze again and it will not boot. No Bios, no power to keyboard, nothing.

Anything I can try before I send it back, because I am afraid it will take a lot of time before they send me a replacement.

• 1. Re: nuc6i5syh froze and won't boot
          mikec_intel

Hi evanzel,

In regards to your issue, let me know if you are getting lights on the front of your NUC. Please, do a test with minimum configuration, using 1 memory stick, 1 monitor and straight video cable. Let know if it is possible to get into the BIOS.

The latest BIOS version is 0033

Drivers & Software

Regards,
          Mike C

• 2. Re: nuc6i5syh froze and won't boot
            evanzel

Thanks for the response,

I tried with either of my two memory sticks alone and with m.2 drive or sata alone and tried with hdmi and dp straight without adaptors to Dell U2414H.

I have no other way to test the memory sticks but I did have them tested with memtest and the nuc when it was working and had found they were ok.

I also tried a different power brick from a nuc5ppyh. They are the same I believe.

I am getting only a blue light and noticed it is a dim one.

No way to get into BIOS. It was 0033 by the way.

• 3. Re: nuc6i5syh froze and won't boot
              mikec_intel

Hi evanzel,

I regret for your inconvenience. If you already tested with a second power supply, with 1 memory stick, straight video cables and the NUC was working before. The next step that we need to follow is the replacement.

Get in touch with Contact Support team and set it.

Regards,
              Mike C

• 4. Re: nuc6i5syh froze and won't boot
                evanzel

Yes, I thought as much. I gave it back to the store so that they would request a replacement.

Is there a way to track service progress with the serial number that I have kept,

or is it the store alone that will handle the replacement request that can do that?

• 5. Re: nuc6i5syh froze and won't boot
                  mikec_intel

Hi evanzel,

If you replaced the NUC with your vendor, only they can give you a update of the replacement process.

Regards,
                  Mike C

• 6. Re: nuc6i5syh froze and won't boot
                    evanzel

So, my replacement unit came and it has the exact same symptoms described here:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/99161?start=0&tstart=0

It continuously crashes with a black/white/blue screen. The longest it has stayed on is a couple of hours.

It is a Jan 16 batch and came with BIOS 0028. I upgraded to 0036. Same frequent crashes.

I run Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool. Came out green.

I erased my disk and installed fresh windows 10. Same frequent crashes, but interestingly I managed to go through all the updates before it kept crashing.

I uninstalled graphics driver, left basic microsoft adapter, it crashed. I installed the beta driver, it crashed. I installed the newer one 4404, it crashed.

I disabled maximum performance in BIOS, it crashed.

So, I erased the disk again and installed linux mint. It stayed on for a few hours and the next morning it was stuck with a frozen display, I had to switch it off again.

So, my understanding is, it is a faulty unit again.

• 7. Re: nuc6i5syh froze and won't boot
                      evanzel

I really don't know what to make of this. The crashes dissapeared and it seems to run fine now.

Only thing I did was I removed the m.2 drive to try an ssd from a different system. Seeing that it went ok for a while I put back my original m.2 drive and it too runs fine now.

I also installed all intel drivers like graphics 4404, irm and irst that I thougt were causing problems before. Seems that they do not.

I use BIOS 0036 defaults and roundtrip memory thing enabled.

I am going to try bios 0039 now.

• 8. Re: nuc6i5syh froze and won't boot
                        mikec_intel

Hi evanzel,

Let me know how it works with the latest BIOS version 0039.

Regards,
                        Mike C

• 9. Re: nuc6i5syh froze and won't boot
                          evanzel

Certainly, the little nuc is running now 10 days with the BIOS 0039, WIndows 10 and all updates and intel drivers and has not had a hiccup yet.

BIOS defaults including checked roundtrip memory thing.

I use the same ram and m.2 drive and 2.5" hdd as in the first one.

It works many hours a day. I have checked with realtemp and prime95 and it runs cools. Not a single freeze, so it seems like a winner.

I think it is has lower temps than the first one that had occasional freezes until it froze completely.

I have to add that the only thing I did to the 2nd nuc between the post on 18th when I had problems and the post on 20th when they were fixed is pull out drives and reseat them. I am not sure about that still, I keep thinking if it was the cable from hdd that perhaps was preseed against the memory modules or something. Could that be a thing?

• 10. Re: nuc6i5syh froze and won't boot
                            mikec_intel

Hi evanzel,

This is a possibility; maybe the SATA signal connector was not properly attached to the board, the cable was pressed against the memories.

Regards,
                            Mike C