5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2016 3:58 PM by tronJones

Changing kernel flags

tronJones

Hello,

I'm attempting to use my Intel Galileo as a Wifi Access Point as per the following: https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2014/05/20/using-intel-galileo-as-access-point

Part the process involves enabling the following kernel parameters as modules or builtin.

CONFIG_BRIDGE

CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_MASQUERADE

CONFIG_NETFILTER
      CONFIG_NF_CONNTRACK_IPV4
      CONFIG_NF_NAT_IPV4

Where do I find these parameters? Is this just a matter of me editing the file in which they preside by adding an "=m" or "=y", or will I have to reconstruct the entire Linux image.

In addition, I am also supposed to edit the wpa_supplicant.config file, but I cannot for the life of me find this. I currently have my Galileo communicating with the web through ethernet, and I have set up repos and installed the connman-client package, as per the instructions. I am also able to use the connmanctl> commands.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Tony

• 1. Re: Changing kernel flags
          PabloM_Intel

Hi tronJones,

Yes, you’ll need to build the image again for these changes to take place.

Now, If you want to the customize kernel I would suggest you to check this thread https://communities.intel.com/thread/48499. There are instructions on how to customize it, once you build the image you can enter bitbake virtual&kernelconfig –c menuconfig, there you’ll be able to change the necessary modules (connman and wpa_supplicant, as suggested in the guide that you’re following).

Remember to save the configuration once you’re done with the changes, and name it with an “easy to find” name because you’ll need to replace the original configuration file with this new one.

Regards,

Pablo

• 2. Re: Changing kernel flags
            tronJones

Thanks Pablo.

I discovered that thread you linked yesterday and was able to build a custom kernel. It took some effort, as some of the git repositories had outdated urls, but I was able to let 'bitbake image-full' run overnight without error.

However, I now have another problem. I put my new Linux files on my microSD card (boot folder, bzImage, core-image-minimal...,image-full-galileo-clanton.ext3), but the Galileo doesn't seem to be booting. Or at least, my PC can't detect it through the USB port. When I remove the SD card, Windows discovers the device through a COM port, but when I put it back in, Windows fails to detect it. I should note that if I use the standard pre-built Linux, my PC is able to detect the Galileo through USB as I have the most recent firmware installed.

Any ideas? Is there a modification I should make to the build to enable the USB client?

Cheers,

Tony

• 3. Re: Changing kernel flags
              PabloM_Intel

Hi tronJones,

Could you please tell us what do you exactly mean when talking about the pre-built Linux? Is this the SD card standard image, available from the Intel Download site, or the SPI Flash image that comes by default?

Which BSP did you use to complete the process image built? Could you provide the link?

Also, could you please share a screenshot of the SDcard folder? (With the image files already added), we would like to see the extension of these files.

Regards,

Pablo

• 4. Re: Changing kernel flags
                PabloM_Intel

Hello tronJones,

Do you have updates on this case? Could you share the information that we requested so we can help you?

Regards

Pablo

• 5. Re: Changing kernel flags
                  tronJones

Thanks Pablo, sorry for the delay.

I ended up aborting trying to build my own Linux image, and instead installed the IoTDevKit image as I found it was already pre-loaded with the features I was after, mainly the connman client.

Cheers,

Tony