1 2 3 Previous Next 81 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2016 10:19 AM by mikec_intel Branched to a new discussion.

NUC6i5SYH - no suupport of mouse and keybord after booting - HELP!

nuc-user2016

Hello!

System:    NUC6i5SYH         

RAM 2x4GB Samsung  according to Intel reference list    

Wireless keyboard, usb cable mouse

SSD Corsair

Monitor connection via DP at the moment / later via HDMI to TV (if system will work)  

When starting the NUC I can enter the BIOS via pressing the F2 button without a problem.

In the BIOS mouse and keyboard both work properly.

After leaving the BIOS the NUC continues to start.

But from this time there is no more support of mouse and keyboard.

On the SSD is already an installation of Win7 of an older (now broken) PC.

Win7 starts, but there is no support of mouse and keyboard.

have changed the boot priority to USB first in order to do a new installation of Win7 onto the SSD from a USB stick.

After leaving the BIOS the NUC starts to boot from the stick and loads the Win7-files and shows the first
      "page" of the Win-Installation-process.

But from here there is no more support of the mouse and the keybaord , so I cannot install Win7 on the SSD.

Does anybody has an idea what the problem could be in this case?

I would be very thankful for any hints.

• 1. Re: NUC6i5SYH - no suupport of mouse and keybord after booting - HELP!
          Paulussie

It seems that Windows 7 does not support USB3.0 in the NUC out of the box (Skylake NUC Review (NUC6i3SYH): Benchmark Results (2/3) - The NUC Blog) Might be the reason for your problems. Booting from an SSD coming out of another PC is a bad idea. Although basically this will mostly work all kinds of drivers (chipset/network/usb/sound/display) will be the wrong version / brand for your new system.

Kind regards,

Paul

• 2. Re: NUC6i5SYH - no suupport of mouse and keybord after booting - HELP!
            mikec_intel

Hi nuc-user2016,

6th gen NUCs come with USB 3.0 ports and Windows® 7 does not come with USB3.0 drivers.

There is a workaround; it includes the driver to Windows® 7 OS image. It is necessary to reinstall the operating system from scratch.

Windows 7* USB 3.0 Creator Utility

Download Windows 7* USB 3.0 Creator Utility

Regards,
            Mike C

• 3. Re: NUC6i5SYH - no suupport of mouse and keybord after booting - HELP!
              eozeri40

Hi mikec_intel,

I bought the same NUC yesterday and faced the same problem.

the web is filled with suggestions to overcome this freeze/hand issue - most of the are related to BIOS changes (UEFI/enable CSM/secure boot etc).

Are there any BIOS changes that are required to install win7 on the NUC6i5SYH?
              Should I just revert to default bios settings and install with the method you provided?

Thanks a lot!

Eyal.

• 4. Re: NUC6i5SYH - no suupport of mouse and keybord after booting - HELP!
                eozeri40

Well, restored BIOS defaults, created the installation usb stick, installtion worked like magic.

Thanks,

Eyal.

• 5. Re: NUC6i5SYH - no suupport of mouse and keybord after booting - HELP!
                  mikec_intel

Hi eozeri40,

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad your system is working properly now.

Regards,
                  Mike C

• 6. Re: NUC6i5SYH - no suupport of mouse and keybord after booting - HELP!
                    nuc-user2016

Hi Mike,

I foolowed your instructions and was able to adress mouse & keyboard in order to start the installation process of Win7 prof 64-bit.

But ir was not possible to finish the installation completely.

After the automatix shut down and restart in order to finish the installation process there is again no more support of mouse & keyboard,

see picture, the mouse arrow is frozen in the left upper corner of my screen.

DSC02269.JPG

Futhermore I do not have the possibility to chose the OS in the BIOS, see picture.

In the BIOS of my NUC this line is not displayed.

nuc os selection.JPG

Any ideas??

Kind regards

nuc-user2016

• 7. Re: NUC6i5SYH - no suupport of mouse and keybord after booting - HELP!
                      mikec_intel

Hi nuc-user2016,

Downgrade BIOS version to 0024 or 0028, then follow Windows® 7 USB3.0_Creator tool again.

Download Windows 7* USB 3.0 Creator Utility

Windows® 7 BIOS files

Drivers & Software

The option to select the operating system is only included with Atom™ and Pentium™ NUCs. NUCs with i3, i5 and i7 require to active the UEFI and Legacy boot.

Regards,
                      Mike C

• 8. Re: NUC6i5SYH - no suupport of mouse and keybord after booting - HELP!
                        Nectician

I am having the same issue of no USB functionality once I get to the screen where you name the PC with the NUC6i3SYH.  Is there a way to go back to 0028 after flashing version 0033?  The instructions tell you to download "the recovery BIOS" and that all BIOS files are listed on the drivers site.  The only files there are 0024 and 0028 and trying to flash either one tells you its an incompatible version.

Intel® NUC BIOS Recovery Update Instructions

Is there an actual RECOVERY BIOS or are the instructions as poor as they appear?  Those instructions show a picture of someone flashing a NEWER BIOS revision, not downgrading.

• 9. Re: NUC6i5SYH - no suupport of mouse and keybord after booting - HELP!
                          rado77

Looks that .033 BIOS had that problem with "no USB during installing Win7" OS, that's why they deleted .033 from web...

• 10. Re: NUC6i5SYH - no suupport of mouse and keybord after booting - HELP!
                            Nectician

Well, that's fine and all, but I really wish someone from INTEL would get on here and clarify.

I just finished trying to install Windows 7 with BIOS version 0024 and its the exact same issue.  There is no USB functionality once you get to the screen where you NAME the PC.  The only thing the Win 7 USB 3.0 Creator_v2 accomplished was making the USB ports work for the first part of the installation (during language selection, hard drive partitioning, etc).  Once the installation completes copying the files and the PC reboots, you're dead in the water on USB.

ALSO, the USB drivers that come with the Win7 USB 3.0 Creator_v2 are not the latest drivers.  I used the utility on my Win 7 USB installer and I couldn't even get past the language selection screen until I downloaded the lastest ones listed for the NUC6i3SYH and put them into the correct folder with the USB 3.0 Creator and ran it on my USB stick again.  I don't know why no one else has mentioned that since I couldn't possibly be the only one.  USB_3.0_win7_64_4.0.2.42 is the latest as of this post. (for 64 bit)

I'm about to update the BIOS to 0028 and see if that makes a difference.  We are a PC manufacturer and have 18 more of these waiting on this Windows 7 issue for the past 2 weeks after being told a BIOS fix was on the way.  I called again and was redirected to this forum post which again leaves us in the same position we started.

• 11. Re: NUC6i5SYH - no suupport of mouse and keybord after booting - HELP!
                              Nectician

I just got off the phone with Intel support and they confirmed that Windows 7 USB functionality isn't going to work until they release a compatible BIOS.  They have been working on it for 3 weeks and do not have a time frame.

I have used 0024 and 0028 and Windows 7 will not work.  Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 work fine as alternatives.

• 12. Re: NUC6i5SYH - no suupport of mouse and keybord after booting - HELP!
                                det_bradlee

BIOS version is not the issue here!! The Intel Win7 USB3 creation utility doesn't work correctly! I installed Win7 with BIOS 33 without any problem.

There are 2 places your drivers need to be before you install Windows. They need to be added to boot.wim Index #2, AND the proper install.wim index for the edition of Windows you are installing. In most Retail copies, Pro is Index #3 and Ultimate is Index #4. It seems like the drivers are correctly being added to Index #2 of the boot.wim, but are probably not being added to the install.wim edition Index that you are trying to use.

I recommend using DISM GUI to manually add the drivers to the correct locations.

DISM GUI - Home

Download the Win7 drivers directly from the NUC support page at Intel.

Download USB 3.0: Intel USB 3.0 Driver for NUC6i[x]SY

****UPDATE**************************

This process will go much smoother if your user account is a local administration on the machine you are working from.

If you have any troubles, I would advise created all of the required folders below outside of the root directory, ie don't use c:\, c:\mount, c:\drivers, etc... Instead, place the new folders on your Desktop.

1) Copy the boot.wim and install.wim files from your USB drive to a new folder on a working machine

2) Unpack the drivers to a new folder also

3) Create another empty folder somewhere. Call it MOUNT (doesn't really matter what you call it)

4) Right-click DISM GUI.exe and run as administrator

5) Click Choose WIM and select the boot.wim you copied to your local machine

6) Change to Index 2 **(see note below)

7) Choose the Mount Location folder

8) Click Mount WIM

9) Click the Driver Management tab at the top

10) Choose the Driver Folder (within the folder you unpacked the drivers to in step 2, choose Drivers\Win7\x64 or Drivers\Win7\x86 depending on the build you are using)

11) Check Force Unsigned and Recurse if they aren't already

12) Click Add Drivers

13) Click Mount Control tab

14) Click Dismount WIM

15) Select Yes to "Do you want to commit changes?"

16) Click Choose WIM and select the install.wim you copied to your local machine

17) Click Display WIM Info (info for each Index will display in the bottom window)

18) Choose the Index for the edition of Windows you intend to install

19) Follow steps 7 - 15 again

20) Copy your new boot.wim and install.wim back to the sources folder on your USB drive.

21) Install Windows with the edition you chose from step 18

**You may want to also do the same for boot.wim Index 1, as that holds the Windows PE environment that gets installed for use with booting to recovery.

When everything is done, Windows Update may not work. You need to download and install Windows6.1-KB947821-v34-x64 which will correct an error with Windows Update. Once done, run Windows Update again and let it go for as long as it takes to find updates (could take a few hours).

Download System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB947821) [October 2014] from Official Micros…

• 13. Re: NUC6i5SYH - no suupport of mouse and keybord after booting - HELP!
                                  Nectician

When I add the drivers to boot.wim it completes but when I try to add them to the install.wim it gives me the error that "the driver package could not be installed".  my USB stick has both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Windows 7 Pro so I tried it on both indexes that list Windows 7 Professional (4 and 8 in my case) and they both fail.  Neither one of them actually specify if they are 32 or 64 bit when you display the WIM info unfortunately.

• 14. Re: NUC6i5SYH - no suupport of mouse and keybord after booting - HELP!
                                    det_bradlee

Sounds like you got your ISO from someone that created a non-standard install media containing additional editions. I'm not sure if that process has caused another error or not. It could also be that the specific index is 32bit and it's trying to inject the drivers for 64bit. Try selecting down in your drivers folder during step 10 and choose the specific path for Drivers\Win7\x86 or Drivers\Win7\x64.

1 2 3 Previous Next