4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2016 1:22 PM by Intel_Peter

Cannot add Edison board on Arduino IDE  bug "+111 invalid mode" (Debian stretch) IDE not working.

GerardVidal

Hi all,

I cannot use the Arduino IDE on a Debian stretch machine with an Edison.

Things work perfectly with an arduino board but when I try to add  the edison board on the list  I get a post-installation message failure  telling that +111 is an invalid mode. It seems to be a known bug "+111" must be replaced by "/111".

The boards installs itself anyway but when compiling the message find invalid mode +111 comes back and the script aborts.

Does anybody experienced the same bug (probably deprecated changed to invalid in stretch) ?

Is it possible to get this fixed (hoping that there is no consequence to this change)....I am stuck with my Edison because on one hand  I cannot use the IDE tto monitor a TH02 sensor and I cannot use the direct way with mraa and upm because upm TH2 module is buggy  yielding no measurement . If anybody knows a TH02 lib using mraa I may try to insert it in upm, that will enable to get measurements at least...

Thanks for any contribution.

• 1. Re: Cannot add Edison board on Arduino IDE  bug "+111 invalid mode" (Debian stretch) IDE not working.
          Intel_Peter

Hello GerardVidal,

In that case I would suggest you to use the Arduino 1.6.0, it already includes Edison/Galileo. I have not tested it on a Debian PC (since I currently don't have access to one) but you shouldn't have issues with this IDE. You can find it on https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24355/Intel-Arduino-IDE-1-6-0, let us know if the issue persists or if you are able to use this Arduino IDE.

Peter.

• 2. Re: Cannot add Edison board on Arduino IDE  bug "+111 invalid mode" (Debian stretch) IDE not working.
            GerardVidal

Thanks for your quick answer,

I am away from my Edison at the moment but I will check as soon as possible.

Before leaving I have tried to change +111 with /111 in the script file in the ~/.arduino15 hierarchy  ./packages/Intel/tools/core2-32-poky-linux/1.6.2+1.0/i686/install_script.sh then  executed the script... Everything went well and  the IDE was again functional for compilation.

Unfortunately I was not able to test the transfer properly  because my Edison is not swowing up in the FileManager at the moment and it does not display the ttyACM0 in the IDE. I think that the IDE imay not be the culprit for that  because I made an opkg update/upgrade with the extra repositories not commented (INTEL should think about putting at least sudo, rsync  and nano in the standard distribution of the image or propose a non-free repository if needed to prevent enthusiastic linuxians to mess everything up like I did); that lead to an "out of memory", whose consequences are unpredictable. I will flash an image tonight to perform a trustfull verification an let you know about the situation.

For the moment I have downloaded the 1.6.0 and it does not work either with the same problem ! As suggested it is probably a change in find command in Debian stretch distribution +111 has become invalid and no more deprecated, and the problem appears at each execution of the script (man find is giving some clues) . The following image displays 1.6.0 standard and 1.6.7 with my amendment for blink compilation.

ArduinoIDE.png

Thanks again, stay tuned more info to come

• 3. Re: Cannot add Edison board on Arduino IDE  bug "+111 invalid mode" (Debian stretch) IDE not working.
              GerardVidal

Hi Peter,

I have flashed my Edison and....  Tataa.....   with the change /111 in place of +111 on IDE 1.6.7 it works perfectly (I have just tested  blink but  that's enough). The compilation error remains with 1.6.0.

Tu summarize my observations:

• Any version of Arduino IDE fails on Debian stretch (testing).
              • Error messages during post-install or at compilation time  are about " find: invalid mode « « +111 » » "
              • changing +111 to /111 in file ~/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/core2-32-poky-linux/1.6.2+1.0/i686/install_script.sh
              • then executing the script yields an operational IDE v 1.6.7

My IDE is working I am happy again Thanks for the help, let me know if you can confirm my observation and workaround.

Gerard.

• 4. Re: Cannot add Edison board on Arduino IDE  bug "+111 invalid mode" (Debian stretch) IDE not working.
                Intel_Peter

I'm glad to hear that you were able to make it work, unfortunately as I don't have access to a Debian PC I can't test your workaround but I'm sure it'll help other users that are experiencing the same problem, thank you for sharing it!

Peter.