1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2016 4:20 PM by cvare

NUC 6i5SYH hardware issue causes reboot loop

ILog

Last night I ran into a hardware issue that makes my brand new 6i5SYH NUC unusable. Please, advise!

The full story.

Preamble: I got new Skylake NUC in the end of January. BIOS version was 0028. I put inside 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Impact DDR4 2133 MHz, and Samsung EVO 850 M.2 500GB. I installed Windows 10 Pro 64bit, but changed group policy not to install updates w/o my review. Then I updated BIOS to 0033. And everything worked well for ~3 weeks. The only thing I could complain, that monitor didn't wake from sleep (on DP), so I had to disable sleep mode completely.

Problem: Yesterday I noticed that WiFi on NUC cannot connect to the Internet, although all other laptops, tablets and phones in house could. Then NUC unexpectedly rebooted. Then, right from logon screen rebooted again, and entered the endless reboot loop. Every couple of reboots it displayed recovery screen, so I was able to try all recovery procedures MS offers. Nothing helped. The biggest win - I was able to boot in safe mode (or safe mode with networking, but network was unavailable, neither WiFi, nor cable). I uninstalled all software I could suspect, re-install all drivers. Today I finally decided to re-install Windows (from the same USB stick), but NUC always reboots soon after entering license key.

Thoughts: It was not caused by Windows Update. I tried to disable various things in BIOS with no success. I tried to install Windows to HDD instead of M.2 SSD, failed, so, it's not SSD. I tried to remove one RAM module, then exchange it for another one - the same symptoms. The main suspect at the moment - networking sybsystem (but definitely on hardware level).

I would really appreciate any advice or idea. Thanks.

• 1. Re: NUC 6i5SYH hardware issue causes reboot loop
          mikec_intel

Hi ILog,

It is an odd issue. Go to BIOS and reset settings to default with F9, save changes with F10. Get into the BIOS again and check the option M.2 slot (Advanced>Devices>PCI), save changes and try to boot.

If Windows® 10 works, install the latest chipset and Management Engine drivers then, wireless and LAN drivers

Drivers & Software

Windows® 10 is a new operating system and requires frequent updates; I recommend you to keep Windows® automatic update option active.

Regards,
          Mike C

• 2. Re: NUC 6i5SYH hardware issue causes reboot loop
            ILog

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply. It's really weird problem.

As for the steps you suggest, I did BIOS reset with and without SSD, and re-installed the drivers for chipset, graphics, wireless and LAN. After calm analysis of all my attempts I came to a conclusion that this is not an occasional drop of settings, but just a bad luck and I deal with hardware failure. So, I sent the device to service today. Unfortunately, I do not expect quick repair. Probably, will update the topic in a couple of months...

Regards,

Igor L

• 3. Re: NUC 6i5SYH hardware issue causes reboot loop
              AnotherMike

Igor,

I also have a NUC with the exact same specs (2x8 hyper x impact 2133, Samsung 850 m.2 500gb )but also have a SanDisk Ultra II 1TB SSD.  Got it a couple of weeks back, installed windows 10, updated BIOS to 033, but I did have it set for automatic updates.  It worked fine for two weeks and a week ago it froze.  Tried rebooting and all I get is constant reboots.  Did all that you did as well to see if I could fix, but still no dice.

Where did you send it for service?  Also did you send it with all the peripherals or did you just send the NUC?

Thanks in advance.

Mike D.

• 4. Re: NUC 6i5SYH hardware issue causes reboot loop
                ILog

Mike,

Interesting... Were you able to enter Safe Mode with Networking and access the internet from there? This was impossible in my case, even under built-in Administrator account.

I am in Prague, so I brought NUC to the company I bought it from. They told me the certified service is in some small city here in Czech. Not sure though they fix it there, my common sense tells me that it will be only tested, but then sent to some other place for repair or replace. And I removed RAM and SSD before returning it.

Regards,

Igor L

• 5. Re: NUC 6i5SYH hardware issue causes reboot loop
                  AnotherMike

Igor,

I can't get into safe mode, I tried booting from a bootable CD and also a bootable USB to see about reinstalling windows, but it does the same thing.  The only time it's different is if I hit F10 and force the boot from a bootable CD, at which point the windows 10 logo appears for a few seconds and then the reboot loop starts again.  Every once in a while it will say under the NUC logo that it is attempting automatic repair and hangs, but otherwise it loops.

I'm in Seattle and bought it and the other items from Amazon, so I'll need to find a different avenue to get it looked at then.

Thanks for the reply.

Mike D.

• 6. Re: NUC 6i5SYH hardware issue causes reboot loop
                    ILog

Mike,

Your case may be different, there is a hope that your problem is caused by some Windows update. If you boot from the USB stick you used for Windows installation, you will get the screen with a big button "Install it" in the center. But in the left bottom corner of the rectangle there should be a link "Repair your system". Try to go there and select Advanced section, you should see some options. Of course, if another reboot doesn't happen before that.

Igor

• 7. Re: NUC 6i5SYH hardware issue causes reboot loop
                      Larpeter

Hi, I think this is a HW failure and nothing else. The issue is discussed in the "NUC and WHEA" thread.

I have just made an RMA of my second NUC.
                      I have noticed that the PCH temperature value seems to be extremely high. In my case 186 degrees C. Intel says the maximum value should be under 105 degrees.

If you go into BIOS (press F2 during boot) and check the temperature. If the PCH temp is high you probably have the cause there.

• 8. Re: NUC 6i5SYH hardware issue causes reboot loop
                        GregL2016

I had this issue last week with my new 6i5syk, I actually returned the unit and we opened another in the store installed drive and memory. Then installed the os (win10 64) and this one is fine.

My fine I mean I don't get the reboot loop. The new one is   quick but gets very hot when set to Maximum Performance.

• 9. Re: NUC 6i5SYH hardware issue causes reboot loop
                          ILog

Hi guys,

Thank you for sharing your experience, much appreciated. I become really scared that if the replacement I should wait for about 2 months fails as well, then better just get money back :-\

Igor

• 10. Re: NUC 6i5SYH hardware issue causes reboot loop
                            cvare

If it won't even boot into the installer CD/USB it sure seems like a RAM issue.  There are known issues with RAM for this device.  There is an upcoming BIOS that will hopefully fix the RAM issues.  I don't have a release date, but I'm hoping by next week!

• 11. Re: NUC 6i5SYH hardware issue causes reboot loop
                              ILog

cvare, thank you for letting know. It was not my case (I was able to boot into Windows safe mode and backup all my data  which took quite a long), but memory efficiency is always welcomed.

BTW, always wanted to ask Intel guys about "modern standby" sleep mode. When I first read about Skylake architecture, support of modern standby was the second notable benefit in any review. But when I got my NUC and ran

> powercfg /availablesleepstates

I saw "S0 Low Power Idle" is not available. Can anybody tell me, supports or not?

Igor

• 12. Re: NUC 6i5SYH hardware issue causes reboot loop
                                AnotherMike

cvare,

It does not boot into the installer using CD or USB.  I'll check what my RMA options are and if I can wait another week or two I will.  So, if memory really is the issue,  then my memory will likely make the new NUC fail again.  (Since my NUC ran fine for a couple of weeks before this problem came up.)

Igor,

Thanks for the advice.  I've made a bootable 2.0 USB thumbdrive to try to reinstall windows, have a bootable 3.0  USB, and made a bootable CD but it will not boot in any case.

Mike D.

• 13. Re: NUC 6i5SYH hardware issue causes reboot loop
                                  ILog

Hi,

I got a replacement yesterday, a completely new box. Unbelievable, it took only one week!

The first thing I did - upgraded BIOS to 0036. Now giving it another try, all works so far.

Igor

• 14. Re: NUC 6i5SYH hardware issue causes reboot loop
                                    cvare

There are known issues with early DDR4 Memory.  A new BIOS has been released that may help, you can acquire it here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25822/BIOS-Update-SYSKLi35-86A-?product=89190

The instructions on what to do IN that BIOS is here: DDR4 Memory Fix for NUC6i3SYK/H and NUC6i5SYK/H

I just want to point out, we cannot guarantee that this method will work for all, especially if it's not a memory issue.  If this does not work, please contact customer support: https://customercare.intel.com/?lang=en-US.

Thank you all for your patience.

1 2 Previous Next