Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

Need to find a graph/chart comparing processors

idata
Employee

All the computer ads I am seeing tout the processor name and states this is a fast machine. Even the classic P4 is called a fast processor/machine.

I do not know how the different models of processors compare with each other. Which one is faster. Which one is better for the applications.

I want to know that this machine's processor is faster/slower to the other company's processor. Since I do not know how each processor is related

to each other by speed/throughput, I cannot tell which processor number/label is faster than the other. I see Core 2, Dual Core, i5, i7, Dual Core T3200

and the list goes on. I want to know if this machine is faster than that one, or is the third one faster than the other two. I want to buy the most powerful computer for the funds I have available. I cannot rely on an advertisement from a company that calls a P4 2.0 gig processor [single core] really fast, and their dual core 2 gig processor labeled "fast", not really fast. I want to compare them with some chart or graph showing that if all things else were "equal", this processor would be 20% faster than the other one of the third is double the computing power than the other two.

I bought a laptop that was dual core, to replace a single core one with the same 2.0 processor "speed". I was doing DVD authoring with the old single core laptop. After I bought the dual core laptop I was told by the company that their dual core laptop could not handle the DVD authoring, even though it had two cores to the one's single core and had a larger cache vers. the old single core. The company was insistant that this dual core could not do the work since they claimed it was an entry level processor. A dual core processor, same 2 gig "speed" and a larger cache, was not able to do what the single core, less size cache, same "speed" processor could do. That statement from the company's tech support people made me wonder how to tell anymore what it the faster and more productive processors and which are the slower ones.

So is there a generic chart? Something like those I see for comparing video card GPU number crunching abilities?

I want to get the best processor for my bucks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi,

I think your best bet would be to have a look at some of the reviews and benchmark on various websites, like tomshardware, anadtech afterdawn etc.

OR you could tell us which CPU or systems your looking to buy and we can help.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I look at more than a dozen online site from eBay to Tigerdirect.com. Plus I look at the local tech stores for their options. It would be mice to have some printable chart or list showing the order of processing power of the various Intel processors. What I want to buy is 64-bit dual processor type of systems. Many of the current systems out there are sold with 32-bit operating systems running on a 64-bit CPU. My AMD64 laptop from HP was that way. It had 32-bit Win XP/pro. Also the Dual Core T3200 Dell laptop came with 32-bit Vista when it is a 64-bit dual core processor. Most of the systems now out that have 32-bit OSs installed are really 64-bit systems, while some are still 32-bit systems. The companies most of the time do not tell you that their 32-Windows computer is actually a 64-bit system that they did not want to bother with installing the proper 64-bit operating system and all its dt is easier to just install a 32-bit OS and not advertise that the computer can handle a 64-bit version. That is what Dell did on my current default laptop.

If I find a 64-bit system that has only a 32-bit operating system installed, I will most likely install 64-bit Unintu or other flavor of Linux on it instead of using the Windows 32-bit OS. It would be nice to get a 64-bit system that is currently running 64-bit Win7, but those systems usually cost more than the ones that I can afford. I want to replace one P4 desktop [SCSI drive server] and this Dell Inspiron that is always hot to touch without an external fan blowing on the keyboard area. Plus need to do this on a fixed income. Getting the best for the money is a most.

0 Kudos