Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14400 Discussions

Boxed Skylake Core i5 6600, no thermal paste ?!

TKehn
Beginner

Today I bought a Skylake Core i5 6600, boxed. The box does not contain thermal paste nor do the installation instructions mention thermal paste. Does that really mean thermal paste is not necessary?

I read in another thread that the thermal paste is already attached to the so-called thermal solution that comes with the CPU. And in fact there is something on the surface of the cpu cooler that looks

like 3 stripes of hardened gum. Is this the mordern form of thermal paste?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ICust50
Beginner

the stripes on your cooler is preapplied thermal paste, i have a corsair gtx h100i with my 6700k, the paste is good quality no need to apply more.

0 Kudos
BPeng6
Novice

Yep, that grayish material is pre-applied paste, and you can mount it as is (removing any protective films of course). I wouldn't call it the "modern form", but some coolers just come with it pre-applied.

To answer your other question: Yes, thermal paste is necessary. If you decide to get an aftermarket cooler one day, you're going to want to apply some if it's not there already.

0 Kudos
TKehn
Beginner

Many thanks to both of you. Good night from Berlin

0 Kudos
TKehn
Beginner

Just FYI - By now I have installed my new CPU and am very happy with it. Thanks again for giving me the trust re. the preapplied thermal paste.

The only thing I had not considered is that I now have to buy me a new Win 10 licence (new motherboard) ;-(

0 Kudos