9 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2016 4:49 AM by OliverSalzburg

DZ68BC refuses to recognize 32 GB RAM after CPU upgrade

OliverSalzburg

I have a DZ68BC board with a 4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 Mhz memory kit. Until recently, I had that memory running at 1333 Mhz, because I had an i7 2600K, which is not capable of supporting 1600 Mhz RAM.

So, I just acquired an i7 3770, updated my BIOS and installed it, hoping that I could finally utilize the RAM fully at 1600Mhz. Sadly, the upgrade didn't go as smooth as I hoped and I ran into several reboot loops. I disconnected any hardware that wasn't crucial to booting and ended up downgrading the BIOS from 0042 to 0039. Then I could finally boot back into BIOS and saw the glorious picture of 32 GB of RAM at 1600 Mhz. So far, so good.

Then I connected all my hardware again, rebooted, and suddenly I was back to 16 GB of RAM. Now, no matter what I try, I can't get the BIOS to detect 32 GB of RAM.

I installed every module individually to make sure they aren't broke. The system will boot fine with every individual module, but, when I install all 4, the system will only show me 2 installed modules and 16 GB of RAM.