5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2016 3:30 PM by EstebanC_Intel

Intel HD 4600 driver crashes ang recovers freezing game screen

drkemp

While playing Dota 2 my display driver will stop working and then 3-4 seconds later recover, i will get a prompt that it has recovered but the game screen will remain frozen. the sound will restart but i willhave to shut down game and restart and connect to fix the screen, i have no idea how to fix this. Please help!

• 1. Re: Intel HD 4600 driver crashes ang recovers freezing game screen
          EstebanC_Intel

Hello, drkemp:

I would like to know, are you using an OEM device? If that is the case, the recommendation is to download and install the drivers from your computer's manufacturer website.

This is to avoid loosing any special features or settings while using the generic drivers from Intel®.

The second recommended option would be to use the Intel® generic drivers, here you can find the drivers for 4600 family: Drivers & Software

Please make sure you select the correct OS that is currently being used.

Additionally, you could test your system with the default drivers from Windows, to get this you simply need to uninstall the driver (display adapter) from the device manager and reboot your system, after rebooting, Windows would automatically install this driver.

Also, I would like to know, have you checked this issue with the developers of the game? They could have a workaround for this; Is the game the only software that triggers the issue? That would also help us to find out what is the source of the problem.

I look forward to your outcome and feedback with this situation.

Regards,

Esteban C

• 2. Re: Intel HD 4600 driver crashes ang recovers freezing game screen
            Vivsim

I have an Acer Aspire V3-772G notebook.  I have upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

Almost every day, I get a message saying something like: ‘display driver has stopped working and has been restarted - Intel HD Graphics Driver’.  I don’t have the exact wording because the message disappears very quickly.

I tried updating the device driver for the following in Device Manager, but Windows determined that the right driver was installed.

Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 (current driver is Intel Driver 10.18.15.4248)

I then ran the Intel Driver Update Utility and got the following message.  

'A customized computer manufacturer driver is installed on your computer.  The Intel Driver Update Utility is not able to update the driver.  Installing a generic Intel driver instead of a customized computer manufacturer driver may cause technical issues.  Contact your computer manufacturer for the latest driver for your computer'.

I checked the Acer site, and could not find an update for the driver.

What do I do now?

• 3. Re: Intel HD 4600 driver crashes ang recovers freezing game screen
              EstebanC_Intel

Hello, Vivsim:

Have you tested the default drivers from Windows 10*?

You can get them by uninstalling the graphics drivers from the device manager, in display adapters.

Also, have you tested the drivers mentioned in my previous answer?

Regards,

Esteban C

• 4. Re: Intel HD 4600 driver crashes ang recovers freezing game screen
                Vivsim

Hi EstebanC.  I tried to install 4300 from Intel Devices and Drivers, but got an error message re. my driver being a manufacturer's customized driver.

I will try again, uninstalling the current driver first.  I believe I can revert to it if there's a problem.

If that doesn't work, I'll uninstall again and try for the Windows default driver.

I'm not at home so it will be a couple of days before I do this.

I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks for the input.

• 5. Re: Intel HD 4600 driver crashes ang recovers freezing game screen
                  EstebanC_Intel

Hello, Vivsim:

I look forward to your outcome with this.

Here you can find some additional links that could help you: How to Manually Install an Intel® Graphics Driver in Windows® 10 &...

Regards,

Esteban C