12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2016 2:24 PM by FGT

Firmware update failure with message "Remote command exited with 128"

cyberluz

Firmware update on Galileo boards results in "Remote command exited with 128" after orange bar at the bottom of updater completes, old "732" version still shows on reboot/retry.  Can up load successfully in Arduino but "Blink" does not run successfully : Arduino 1.6.0.  Updater: 1.0.4

I can't see this in troubleshooting pdf or online.

Am I "bricked?"

• 1. Re: Firmware update failure with message "Remote command exited with 128"
          CMata_Intel

Hi cyberluz,

Could you attach a picture of the “Remote command exited with 128" error message you are receiving?

I would like to know more about the PC you are using:

Which OS are you using?

Are you using 3.0 USB ports?

I suggest you to use the 2.0 USB ports and try with different USB cables, there are reports of other makers that have had problems while using 3.0 USB ports with the Galileo Board. Also, there are some cables that do not work for sending Data and only have the VDD and GND lines available.

Another way to update the firmware is using this method: Intel® Galileo - Programming SPI Flash through the UEFI Internal Shell

Regards,

Charlie

• 2. Re: Firmware update failure with message "Remote command exited with 128"
            cyberluz

Charlie,

Thanks for the help ... to answer your questions:

Attached is the  picture(s) ... one of the screen before the end, one of the error message.

photo 1 (2).JPG

photo 2 (2).JPG

We have been using PC and Mac ... with failure and success with both.  The USB ports on the Macbook Airs are 3.0 I believe ... but we had 6 work properly, 2 on PC Win7 (USB 2.0) and 4 OS X (USB 3.0).   The other 16 no go.  We have a batch of 20 involved.  I have 5 in boxes still.

Between Windows 7 and the OS X 10.10, the OSX is the easiest since drivers were not needed.  Both OS updates took 15-20 min, and I just learned from my students that many did not see the last graphic on the Galileo white paper and may have cut off the update when the bar was complete but the end message did not appear.  With an incomplete update I would have expected a "brick" effect, but I can connect to and test all boards, seeing their current firmware and the boards do seem to acknowledge the upload of blink ... the feedback from the Arduino 1.6.0 is that the upload succeeded. But the program does not run or the LED 13 blink!.  Attempts to run update again get the "128" error.

All had brand new cables and I have verified the failures and successes with the cable I am using in testing all the failures.  The results were consistent.  We swapped power supplies, cables, the units failed or succeeded the same no matter what cable or power supply.

New since I messaged was the discovery that they may have been incomplete on the update program.  I tried a repeat update, but the same error message comes up.  I took board #21 and waited until the end message ... 25 minutes .... not 5 min, although this time I saw a second progress bar and a 5 minute warning next to the second update progress bar, I missed this on mine helping others.  Well, this one updated fine and Blink runs.

You mentioned another flash system ... from the Linux screen over puTTY ... I am not good here.  I downloaded the files for the SD card and can do that but can I use the mac's Terminal  program?  I have PCs as well, the real question is getting us doing this when we don't yet know the Linux interface system.  This comes down to our error (although there is no mention of two separate progress bars.)  We are here to learn I guess.  I hate when I don't have the time to test all portions of an update like this.

Feel free to point us to an entry level approach for Linux on the Galileo board.  I have some knowledgeable geeks to help us.

Thank you for your time.

Ford

• 3. Re: Firmware update failure with message "Remote command exited with 128"
              FGT

Hi Ford,

The worst cases I found about card errors are:

a) 1 in 10, the faulted card did not turn on

b) 1 in 10 (another batch of 10 cards) with about the same error you describe (I don't know if they were able to fix it...)

Error likelihood you describe seems to be awful.

I've installed and upgraded several Galileo cards in win 7 and 8.1 in no more than 10 minutes, and I've found prone to errors:

a) Using a thin USB-uUSB cable

b) USB extension cable

c) USB 1.0 ports or cable

d) the installer described/referred to at IoT - Intel® Galileo Board Get Started Guide | Intel® Developer Zone, so I suggest using the so called "manual process" (IoT - Installing drivers and updating firmware for Arduino on a system with Windows* | Intel® Developer Zone)

It seems to be I'm not helping much... I would just suggest you try once more under windows, making sure you manually reinstall Galileo drivers and let me know if you still have the same problems.

I'm really interested in knowing what your problem is. My guess is around cables and faulty drivers (if installed via the Intel installer, not manually), but I'm far from being an expert.

HTH,

Fernando.

• 4. Re: Firmware update failure with message "Remote command exited with 128"
                cyberluz

Of the three students with Windows computers ... they experienced the same as the Macs once they were set for drivers, the update with two separate progress bars takes on average 20 minutes total no matter which OS or which USB used.  All are brand new USB cords and each tests to work properly.  The "128" error comes from the Updater software (Intel) but the Arduino does successfully upload the Blink program.  The USB has to be working for this to happen and for Arduino to confirm the upload of the program.  The Galileo just doesn't execute it ... I fear from the errors of the students disconnecting before the second progress bar, they have been effectively "bricked."

Now I will have to go down the road of recovery from an incomplete update ... possible, just beyond my current setup.

Anyone know what the "128" error is?

• 5. Re: Firmware update failure with message "Remote command exited with 128"
                  FGT

I see...

Just to confirm: did you use the "installer" or the "manual process" for the drivers in win?

Fernando.

• 6. Re: Firmware update failure with message "Remote command exited with 128"
                    cyberluz

I don't think I actually know ... I can check, but it was a go/no go

situation as without the right drivers, the board can be seen in devices

but not addressed or seen by Arduino on the same machine.  I had another

student helping them install the drivers ... they had to get drivers from a

prior Arduino version .. 1.5.3 I seem to remember, as they weren't in the

1.6.0 version of Arduino, or easily located.

Since there was successful upgrades on both platforms, I feel that the

drivers are not the issue.

The larger issue is how to get to a reset, which might have to be PC

based.  I have plenty of resources (PCs) .. just lack the experience with

the Linux side which I think is involved in the "unbricking" as I have read

about it.  I was hoping for an easy fix ... first mistake.

• 7. Re: Firmware update failure with message "Remote command exited with 128"
                      FGT

Hi cyberluz,

I was hoping for an easy fix ... first mistake.

I don't remember easy fixes in Galileo... but maybe I've been "out of luck". However, I've found reasonable explanations for almost every problem I've found (beyond my own lack of knowledge, of course)

I can check, but it was a go/no go

situation as without the right drivers, the board can be seen in devices

but not addressed or seen by Arduino on the same machine.

Most of the errors I wrote about in a previous post had this go/no go "behaviour", unfortunately. Furthermore, when I used a faulty driver for a serial cable I was able see the device and see some activity in the serial terminal but it didn't work at all. That's why I suggest you uninstall the drivers and reinstall them manually. Maybe the board can be seen in devices, but some error in the middle of the upgrade could corrupt the system. It is not related to Linux so far. Anyway, it's just my guess. I think I've seen somewhere (sorry, I don't have the reference at hand) that you need the upgrade to operate with Arduino 1.6.0

I had another student helping them install the drivers ... they had to get drivers from a

prior Arduino version .. 1.5.3 I seem to remember, as they weren't in the

1.6.0 version of Arduino, or easily located.

hmmm... I think everything you need is at the previous link I sent: IoT - Installing drivers and updating firmware for Arduino on a system with Windows* | Intel® Developer Zone. Please let me know if something is missing.

Beyond drivers, I don't know if your boards became bricked or not... I was not able to complete an upgrade in one of my boards but I was able to complete the process in later attempt (almost immediately) so my guess is that it did not become "bricked" but I do not know what "bricked" means beyond that something is wrong/faulty.

Sorry I'm not helping too much... If you find the problem/s please let me know.

Fernando.

• 8. Re: Firmware update failure with message "Remote command exited with 128"
                        CMata_Intel

Hi Ford,

Let us know the outcome of trying with Fernando’s suggestion IoT - Installing drivers and updating firmware for Arduino on a system with Windows* | Intel® Developer Zone

I suggest you to use the latest Arduino IDE version from: Arduino - Software

The downloads available are located in: IoT - Intel® Galileo Board Download | Intel® Developer Zone. I suggest you to download the files again, you may be using an older version for the Firmware Updater or Installer.

Regarding the drivers:

For Windows*, the two images have different USB drivers. The USB driver for the on-board flash drive image is located in the Firmware Updater ZIP file in a sub-folder called "Galileo Driver". The USB driver for the microSD card image is located inside the microSD card image in a folder called "win-driver". You can copy the ZIP file inside to your machine once you've created the image on the microSD card.

I suggest you to use only 2.0 USB ports, as I mentioned there are some problems that have been reported with 3.0 USB ports.

For the recovery methods:

Intel® Galileo - Programming SPI Flash through the UEFI Internal Shell

Recovery Mode for Boards and Kits

If you have a debugger, you can try this one:

How to Fix a Bricked Intel Galileo Board for Boards and Kits

You can use the Terminal Emulator you prefer, for Windows Putty, for Linux  and Mac you can use screen.

Please let us know about your updates regarding this.

Regards,

Charlie

• 9. Re: Firmware update failure with message "Remote command exited with 128"
                          FGT

Hello again Ford,

Take a look at this thread: unable to compile - missing file error - new installation

I think it is needed you uninstall every driver and do not use the "installer", but a manual driver installation.

I'm not sure, though, would you send the screen shown by the device manager once you plug the Galileo in?

HTH,

Fernando.

• 10. Re: Firmware update failure with message "Remote command exited with 128"
                            CMata_Intel

Hi Ford,

I would like to know if you have been able to work on this. Please let us know if you have some updates regarding this.

Also, if you still have problems with this open a ticket by using this form: Intel® Support and please mention this thread

Regards,

Charlie

• 11. Re: Firmware update failure with message "Remote command exited with 128"
                              cyberluz

Thanks for hanging in in this one.

We found that repeating the update on a PC overcame the issue.  We did after all still have access to the board.  The error message was generated from the OSX 10.10 link through the Intel Updater.  If we take a "out-of-the-box" board and do it right, the Mac does fine.

If we followed instructions more clearly, there would have been no problem.  The Macs DO take much longer to setup for the first window\phase of the update.  The second progress bar takes the 5-7 minutes described, but the normal total time is about 20 minutes on the Mac.  The PC does it all in about 7 minutes total.

Since most of my class has Macs, we were trying to do this with each person getting the experience, and when the time went way long, we did the wrong thing.  They weren't bricked.  I think they were just incomplete I think ... i.e. ... we were lucky!.

I am sorry we wasted your time, but I do so much appreciate the support.  At least you know that is an error from the Mac connection ... I assumes from the updater program itself.  It wasn't an OS X error message, and the matched the appearance of the final "Success" window.

Thanks again.

• 12. Re: Firmware update failure with message "Remote command exited with 128"
                                FGT

It's good to know there is at least some possible explanation of the problem. As I wrote in my first post, the broken ratio did no seem to be right for the Intel Galileo.

Fernando.