Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20500 Discussions

1080p only shows about a 640x480 portion of the center of the desktop and the rest is off the screen

HGail
Beginner

Dell laptop, Intel HD 5500 iGPU, HDMI output, Extended Desktop, at 1080p it only shows about a 640x480 portion of the center of the desktop and the rest is off the screen, super zoomed in, blurry, but not like overscan, 720p properly displays on the screen. It is a Samsung LN46D550 HDTV

We do not have another TV currently to test with, native resolution of the laptop screen is 1600x900. Just updated to the .4300 driver, no change. The TV is set to screen fit/Just Scan, 16:9 preset does not help.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, HalGameGuru:

While using OEM systems like yours, the recommendation is to download and install the drivers from your computer's manufacturer website.

This is to avoid loosing any special features or settings while using the generic drivers from Intel®.

You could also test your system with the generic drivers from Intel®, here you can download the drivers for Intel® HD Graphics 5500, please make sure you select the correct OS that you currently have: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/86210/Intel-HD-Graphics-5500-for-5th-Generation-Intel-Core-Processors Drivers & Software

Another way to go would be to use the default drivers from Windows, you can get them after unistalling the current graphics driver from the device manager.

Here you can find some instructions on how to manually adjust the size of the screen, please refer to: "Why can I see the center of the Windows* desktop, but not the top, bottom, and sides?"

http://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005502.html Intel® Graphics and Televisions Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for...

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
HGail
Beginner

We tried the most recent Beta driver, caused GPU crashes, so we did the Dell 4300 driver. We did not try the driver from Microsoft thru Windows Update, if necessary we will. We may just make use of 720p for now and in the future get machines that have discrete graphics when we know we will need a second display.

0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, HalGameGuru:

I would like to know if you have tried the following.

Uninstall the current driver, and install all Windows updates that are available and the test one of the drivers mentioned (OEM/Intel® generic), I have heard that as a workaround for issues with crashes.

I look forward to your feedback regarding this.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It's the terrible Intel graphics drivers. Intel doesn't seem to have any motivation to release working drivers.

0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, Butters:

I would like to attempt to replicate this, would you please provide me with the information requested below?

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos