1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 18, 2016 6:37 AM by ivanu_intel

Mainboard damaging Processors

Corigins

Please reserve judgement until the end, because up until now I am being treated as a heretic for what has occurred.

I am a computer retailer with a PC workshop experience operating for almost eight years. Before that I have been a SMB consultant and performed other IT related work. I'm not trying to elevate my status but to allow you understand who is having this problem.

If anybody said to me that a CPU was capable of being damaged by a mainboard then my first instinct would be to resist. Although CPU's can have their DOA problems, I think there is a belief that it is rare enough to place processors in the very (very) stable category of IT hardware. Which is why what I'm about to say has knocked the wind out of me.

I purchased an MSI 1150 socket mainboard (Mainboard "A") from a wholesaler with a (confirmed compatible) Intel Core-i7 4790 (Processor "A") to match. The system did not boot with only a debug LED flashing. Some like me would naturally believe Mainboard A was faulty so I even started doing a warranty. Since I couldn't wait for warranty turnaround, I purchased an identical MSI board (Mainboard "B"). Mainboard B with Processor A also wouldn't boot.

I then obtained an alternative "known to work processor" (Processor "B") from another system - it worked! I then thought, maybe Processor B is compatible with the current BIOS version of Mainboard B so I updated to latest BIOS version for Mainboard B - still working ok.

I put Processor A back into Mainboard B - not working! So I did what I now have come to regret, I placed Processor B into Mainboard A. It didn't work and at this stage I was still thinking Mainboard A was solely at fault, but little did I know far worse was occurring.

I placed Processor B back into its original working system, except now it wasn't working - oh ****.

By now my head was spinning because there was no logic that I possessed at the time that was working. I even went to a friend who is an enthusiast and who already had a working 1150 socket processor in a proven gaming system. We first placed Processor A in his system - didn't work. So now we're thinking Processor A is also damaged along with Mainboard A! We placed his processor (Processor "C"), into Mainboard "A" which didn't work, but then we placed Processor C back into his own game system. Not booting! Then we had the "oh ****" moment that we didn't expect:

Mainboard A is damaging Processors. Processor A, B, and C are ALL now non-functional or are affecting mainboards they originally were mounted in. Can somebody please review and find any faults in my logic?

tl;dr?

Summary:

1. Mainboard A and Processor A - no POST

2. Mainboard B and Processor A - no POST

3. Mainboard B and Processor B - POST

4. Mainboard A and Processor B - NO POST

5. Processor B in original system - NO POST

6. Mainboard B and Processor C - POST

7. Mainboard A and Processor C - No POST

8. Processor C in original system - No POST

• 1. Re: Mainboard damaging Processors
          ivanu_intel

Hello Corigins,

Thank you for joining the Intel communities.

The most likely case where a defective motherboard might damage a CPU is if there is something wrong with the motherboard power regulator.

Have you tried using different RAMs by any chance or try removing the battery from your motherboard for at least 30 to 45 minutes? You probably already did that but just checking.

I have not seen this problem personally but it can happen, at this point I suggest to RMA the motherboard as you are doing it to find out which component is the culprit.

Honestly I have never heard of or had a bad CPU take out a motherboard either.

Best wishes,

Ivan