8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2016 5:24 PM by MrIncredible

DN2820FYKH and USB 3.0 woes

MrIncredible

Hi,

I've carried as much fault finding and elimination as I can in trying to understand why I have a problem with two external USB 3.0 backup drives from Seagate when connected to my recently acquired DN2820FYKH0.

I have a 4TB Backup+ Desk, and a 3TB Expansion Desk.  Both are running current firmware and both have been running faultlessly on my 1155 motherboard with Windows 8 & 10 64 bit for a couple of years.

However, when I attach them to the USB 3.0 port on the NUC, they just will not behave.  They work fine on the 2.0 USB ports.

The NUC has been upgraded to the latest BIOS.  When I set Legacy USB off, the data rate to both drives is appalling; probably less than 1 MB/s.   If I turn Legacy On, both drives will "disappear" from Explorer and then reappear.  The Backup+ doing this more frequently than the Expansion disk.  Although I've achieved a 65MB/s data transfer over the network to the NUC, it only copies a few hundred MB before the drive goes off line and the copy fails/hangs.

As the drives are fine on the USB 2.0 ports, I can only conclude there is some problem with the 3.0 port.  I'd like to use that for one of the drives for speed considerations.  There's no point in having a Ferrari in the garage if you can't take it out for a spin!

Has anyone had similar issues and more importantly, is there a solution to this irksome problem?

Thanks

• 1. Re: DN2820FYKH and USB 3.0 woes
          mikec_intel

Hi MrIncredible,

According to your system behavior it seems the operating system was installed using Legacy boot. This is an older Intel® NUC Kit and UEFI Boot was not the default option in the BIOS.

Hard Disk Drives equal or with more than 2TB requires UEFI boot enable.

If you have Windows® 7, I recommend you to get into the BIOS, enable UEFI and Legacy boot, enable USB Legacy. Then, while the NUC is starting up, keep tapping F10 and select UEFI – USB Windows® 7 Bootloader and reinstall Windows® 7 operating system.

Regards,
          Mike C

• 2. Re: DN2820FYKH and USB 3.0 woes
            MrIncredible

Thanks for the reply.  AFAIK I thought UEFI boot was only if you wanted to boot from a drive greater than 2TB?  My boot drive is a 60GB SSD.  It's just my media files that I have on the USB 3.0 drive.  Not sure why UEFI boot would affect just the drive on the USB 3.0 port when it's OK on the 2.0?  Bit reluctant to go back to Win 7 TBH.  10 runs smoothly.

That said I've come across another potential issue in that the DN2820 cannot support DTS-HD or Dolby True-HD on passthrough due to PAP (protected audio path) restrictions.  I believe something like OpenElec doesn't have this restriction.

• 3. Re: DN2820FYKH and USB 3.0 woes
              mikec_intel

Hi MrIncredible,

Windows® 10 operating system supports USB 3.0 as default as well as UEFI. The operating system already includes the controller xHCI.

In regards HD Audio passthrough it is necessary NUCs with i3, i5 or i7.

Regards,
              Mike C

• 4. Re: DN2820FYKH and USB 3.0 woes
                MrIncredible

Thanks Mike.

Based on your comments I managed to convert my SSD from MBR to GPT, created enough free space at the start of the disc for new system and UEFI partitions, and created the boot entries.  I followed these instructions.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/14286.converting-windows-bios-installation-to-uefi.aspx

As a result I now have the NUC booting UEFI with no legacy boot options and only UEFI boot in the bios.

I uninstalled the drivers for the USB controller and xHCI and rebooted just in case!

The USB 3.0 4TB external drive still misbehaves on the USB 3.0 port.  I start to copy across the network and after a few MB the copying stops.  On the NUC UI the drive is unresponsive and occasionally not there at all.  No problem whatsoever on the USB 2.0 ports nor on my UEFI desktop W10 with USB 3.0 ports.  I've tried copying to the drive from a remote PC and using the share on the NUC, and vice versa.  Still the same.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

PS.  On the NUC, this error pops up .

124vtlh.jpg

• 5. Re: DN2820FYKH and USB 3.0 woes
                  mikec_intel

Hi MrIncredible,

It is better to keep Legacy boot (Boot tab) and USB Legacy (Devices tab) options enable. Many devices in the market are still working as Legacy.

In order to narrow down, verify if you have the latest BIOS version 0052.

Drivers & Software

Regards,
                  Mike C

• 6. Re: DN2820FYKH and USB 3.0 woes
                    MrIncredible

Hi Mike.

Thanks so much for trying to get to the bottom of my USB 3.0 issue.

Yes, I am on 052.

14smusm.png

I changed the USB to Legacy and the Boot as well as you suggested.  The problem persists.

The same USB 3.0 drive when plugged into my Desktop PC with USB 3.0 and WIndows 10 64 bit behaves absolutely fine and has done for a year or more.

I am stumped and disappointed it's not working as it should.

I think I've exhausted my fault finding capabilities!  This is so frustrating!

EDIT:

Here is a video of what happens when I try to copy a 3GB file from my SSD (boot) to the USB 3.0...

After this copy failure the drive becomes unresponsive and I have to reset it to access it again.  Reads are unaffected.

• 7. Re: DN2820FYKH and USB 3.0 woes
                      mikec_intel

Hi MrIncredible,

I regret the inconvenience. According to your troubleshooting, it seems your Intel® NUC Kit DN2820FYKH is faulty. I recommend you to get in touch with Contact Support and request a RMA of your device.

Regards,
                      Mike C

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: DN2820FYKH and USB 3.0 woes
                        MrIncredible

Just an update: - I logged a warranty/service case and was informed on the phone and email that the unit was in warranty still and that I could RMA it for a replacement.  That should be with me tomorrow.

Thanks again Mike.  Appreciate your input and that of Intel.  Good work!