Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20494 Discussions

Intel(R) HD Graphic 4600's driver is crashing

ZGer
Beginner

Hello Intel Community,

I have an Asus notebook (laptop) that runs on a set of NVidia GTX 960M as well as Intel(R) HD Graphic 4600.

It's been almost from the start, I believe, that every now-and-then the screen freezes, and once it continues to work, I get a notification that Intel(R) HD Graphic 4600 has crashed and has been recovered. It hasn't bothered me much up until now, but when I tried to stream media from my browser to my Chromecast, it happened about six times in half a minute.

As soon as I got the computer I upgraded it to Windows 10 x64 from Windows 8.1, so I don't know if the driver's crashes has anything to do with Windows 10 upgrade or with something else. The driver's version is 10.18.15.4256.

I wanted to uninstall and reinstall the driver again, but I always found a version that's higher than my computer runs for the display adapter. The driver manager didn't find an update, so I was worried to install a higher version, that may be incompatible with my laptop. I even installed Intel Driver Update Utility, and no update for this driver was found.

What should I do? and can anyone explain to me how do I find the display driver that's compatible with my Asus pc?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, Ziv_Ger:

While using OEM systems like yours, the recommendation is to download and install the drivers from your computer's manufacturer website.

This is to avoid loosing any special features or settings while using the generic drivers from Intel®.

The other option would be the generic drivers from Intel®, here you can find the latest for Intel® HD Graphics 4600: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25489/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-15-40-4th-Gen- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 [15.40][4th Gen]

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html How to Manually Install an Intel® Graphics Driver in Windows® 10 &...

The third option would be to get the default drivers from Windows 10*, to get this it would be required to uninstall the current display adapter driver from Intel® and then after rebooting your system, Windows 10* would install them automatically.

I look forward to your outcome with this.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
AJaha1
Beginner

i have the same problem, but when i open the intel hd-graphic controllpanel it says that i have directx 12 and under that it says max directx support: 11.1

0 Kudos
ZGer
Beginner

Esteban, I entered my product model number in Asus website and OS version, but the download name is VGA_Intel_Skylake(...). Skylake is the 6th generation Intel's processor, but as far as I know, I have 4th generation, so I'm worried about even running the download. What do you say?

0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, Ziv_Ger:

Please double check with your OEM which are the correct drivers to be downloaded in your system.

What could happen would be, you not being able to install the drivers, besides that it shouldn't affect your system.

Minor25, please check the link below and look for the generation of your processor, this is to check the supporter DirectX in your system.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005524.html Supported Graphics APIs and Features for Graphics Drivers

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
ZGer
Beginner

Esteban,

I did install the driver from the website eventually, and as I started the installation, it turned out as the right driver to install. It was aimed for Skylake processors, but not exclusively. For a few days, it seemed to do the trick, but today my display driver "crashed and has been successfully recovered" once again, as I played Hitman Beta.

Any other suggestion from you or any other Intel supporters?

0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, Ziv_Ger:

I understand, is that happening only with that game? If it is a beta, it could be related to the game, if this is the only source of the issue, please report it the developers of the game so they can further assist you on this.

The other drivers your can test are the generic drivers from Intel®.

Please remember that while using the generic drivers from Intel® in an OEM system, some features may not be available for you to use (features added by your OEM, related to graphics).

Here you can find them: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25489/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-15-40-4th-Gen- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 [15.40][4th Gen]

I look forward to your outcome with this.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, Ziv_Ger:

This is to follow up on this inquiry you posted in our communities.

If you require further information or support, please do advise us.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos