4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2016 9:24 AM by mikec_intel

NUC6i5SYH - Crucial M500 2.5in SSD Unrecognized

NUCTX

System Build: NUC6i5SYH | Win10 Home | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 256 GB [Boot Drive] | System software/hardware runs successfully.

Added 2.5in Crucial M500 480GB SSD for additional storage | Win 10 Home runs successfully however Win 10 File Explorer does not recoginize/display Crucial M500 SSD.

Confirmed Crucial SSD is securely attached in NUC harness and plug is firmly attached to MOB. No changes made to the BIOS.

Appreciate any suggestions for possible solutions. Thank you!

• 1. Re: NUC6i5SYH - Crucial M500 2.5in SSD Unrecognized
          Paulussie

Hi,

Do you see the drive in the device manager? If so it maybe needs to be partitioned and / or formatted. Use Win10 disk management to do that. Be careful, don't wreck your system drives in the process :-)

If the device does not show in the device manager in Win10 it might be disabled in the BIOS. Shutdown, reboot, enter the BIOS and look under Advanced - Devices - SATA. Make sure the SATA chipset is enabled. Choose AHCI and not RAID as mode as I recall (not sure!) you can't have the Samsung NVMe drive in RAID with a SATA drive. Make sure the SATA port is enabled. If everything is fine you should see the Crucial drive mentioned there. At least this is the case in my NUC6i5SYH, albeit with a Crucial MX200.

Kind regards,

Paul

• 2. Re: NUC6i5SYH - Crucial M500 2.5in SSD Unrecognized
            mikec_intel

Hi NUCTX,

Additionally, verify Legacy and UEFI boot options are enable at Boot tab in the BIOS. 

In regards Samsung 950 Pro M.2, this SSD model with NVMe is not prepared for RAID configurations according to Samsung website.

Regards,
            Mike C

• 3. Re: NUC6i5SYH - Crucial M500 2.5in SSD Unrecognized
              NUCTX

Hi Paul -

The NUC6i5SYH did not recognize the Crucial M500 SSD via Intel visual BIOS or Win10 Device Manager.  I powered down the NUC6i5SYH, removed the Crucial M500 SSD from the cradle and performed a "quick format" via Win 10 file manager using a USB to SATA cable.  I then rebooted the NUC6i5SYH, launched the Intel Visual BIOS, and confirmed the Crucial M500 SSD was recognized [it was] and the appropriate settings [SATA chipset, AHCI enabled, Legacy & UEFI boot options enabled] were enabled [they were] as you and Mike C suggested.  The only change I had to make via Intel Visual BIOS was under the Boot Priority tab. I noticed the Crucial M500 SSD was placed ahead of the already installed SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 SSD in the Legacy Boot Drive Order. I moved the SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 SSD to the top of the Boot Drive order.  After changing the boot order I was successfully able to boot up the NUC6i5SYH and view both the SAMSUNG and CRUCIAL SSD drives without issue.  The lack of formatting to the Crucial M500 SSD seems to have been the root cause of the issue.

Appreciate your support!

NUCTX

• 4. Re: NUC6i5SYH - Crucial M500 2.5in SSD Unrecognized
                mikec_intel

Hi NUCTX,

I am glad your system is working properly. Thank you for your feedback.

Regards,
                Mike C