3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2016 9:51 AM by DiegoV_Intel

Edison MCU host communication: buffer’s size limit

Dirk1969

Hi,

I read in the API that the MCU host communication works with a buffer, and this buffer's size is limited. The argument 'length' is an int - I would have expected an unsigned int. Does this mean that the largest size of this buffer is 32767? Or is the limit in reality some other size?

Regards,

Dirk.

• 1. Re: Edison MCU host communication: buffer’s size limit
          DiegoV_Intel

Hi Dirk1969,

Let me investigate about this detail. I'll update the thread once I find useful information about this.

Regards,

Diego

• 2. Re: Edison MCU host communication: buffer’s size limit
            Dirk1969

Thanks for your reply. Meanwhile I will give you some context why I am interested in such a detail.

In Edison MCU roadmap? mjka wrote that host_send costs about 1 ms. I need a faster sampling with some sensors I could read from the MCU. It looks like you can poll every 10 microsec within the MCU, but you can't get the data out to the atom at this speed.

So I wondered if it is possible to (fast) read a large amount of samples in the MCU and put in a local buffer. From time to time I could send the corresponding data as bulk to the host. On condition of course, that the buffer size can be large enough to make this concept work. 

Note that I did some tests around this and noticed that the edison don't like this kind of programming against its limits. I lost my wifi configuration several times and had to re-install the firmware once. So I decided rather to ask it than to program against the edison's limits.

Regards,

Dirk.

• 3. Re: Edison MCU host communication: buffer’s size limit
              DiegoV_Intel

Hi Dirk1969,

The buffer size is limited to 255. I found this information in the MCU API available in the MCU SDK installation directory. You should find it in your PC in the following direction: C:\...\edison-mcusdk-win64-1.0.10\docs\api_doc\html\mcu_api_8h.html

Regards,

Diego

1 of 1 people found this helpful