5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2016 8:57 AM by SysBuilder

NUC6i5SYK and M.2 Configuration

SysBuilder

How do I know if my NUC6i5SYK is configured to run my M.2 correctly?  I have the port enabled in the BIOS.  However, when I look at the performance in the Intel RST application it shows that it is only running at standard SATA III 6Gb/s.   Is this correct?  How do I know if my PCI lanes are running at x2, x3, or x4 on that port?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: NUC6i5SYK and M.2 Configuration
          Paulussie

Hi,

If you look in the BIOS, under Advanced - Devices - PCI the status of the M.2 device is shown. In my case (same system with Samsung 950 Pro) after M.2 slot it says:  Using x4 Speed 8.0 GT/s.

Out of interest, what is connected to your M.2 port?

Kind regards,

Paul

• 2. Re: NUC6i5SYK and M.2 Configuration
            SysBuilder

Paul, thank you!  I have the Samsung 850 EVO M.2.  I knew something wasn't right when RST was saying 6Gb/s and BIOS is telling me the same thing.  I have the port enabled but it seems like the mobo is treating the M.2 slot as a single PCI lane.

Rich

• 3. Re: NUC6i5SYK and M.2 Configuration
              SysBuilder

Paul, as many systems I have built over the last 25 years I am surprised I overlooked one key thing... READ THE SPECS on the darn Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2.   It's max is 6Gb/s.  Ooops.  (embarrassed).

I have a 950 Pro in another Skylake micro-ATX build I did.. I may cannibalize my other system to see what I get.

• 4. Re: NUC6i5SYK and M.2 Configuration
                Paulussie

Rich,

Yes, that was why I was asking. A confusing thing about this M-keyed M.2 connection is that this interface has both SATA as well as 4x PCIe lanes at its disposal. So the hardware on the device makes the difference, and in the case of the 850 EVO that means max 6GB/s Sata. Live and learn

When you put the 950 Pro in, your speed will be around 1700/1500 read/write (Samsung Magician). Why this NUC does not use the full capacity of the 950 Pro is still not completely clear to me (see discussion elsewhere) as Skylake itself supports it. But maybe the i5-U CPU in the NUC is just too slow to make that happen.

Kind regards,

Paul

• 5. Re: NUC6i5SYK and M.2 Configuration
                  SysBuilder

Paul, I swapped out the M.2 sticks and presto....8.0 GT/s.  Thanks for the assist!

Rich