2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2016 10:53 AM by PeteFJ

Extended  temperature range Galileo Gen 2?

PeteFJ

Hi, I'm new here so hopefully I have posted this in an appropriate location.

The standard  Galileo 2 board (Intel® Galileo Gen 2 Board Specifications)  seems to have a 0C to 70C temperature rated processor (Intel® Quark™ SoC X1000 (16K Cache, 400 MHz) Specifications).

The first generation Galileo product brief mentioned extended temperature range processors (http://download.intel.com/support/galileo/sb/galileoprodbrief_329680_003.pdf), presumably such as the Quark SoC X1001 (Intel® Quark™ SoC X1001 (16K Cache, 400 MHz) Specifications) which might be taken as a hint that Galileo boards might be available with extended temperature ratings.

I don't really need the full -40C to 85C.range of the X1001, but a Galileo board with a temperature range of   -20C to 70C would be of interest to me. I'm sure others would like a variant temperature rated for some degree of outside operation.

Is such a board available anywhere? Or can one custom order them? Presumably more than just the processor needs to be swapped with a wider temperature variants. I realize that embedded boards with extended temperature ranges are available from other sources, but they are typically cost prohibitive or  power hungry and big (ie ITX form factor).

Any thoughts? Anyone tried a Galileo in -20C or colder conditions?

• 1. Re: Extended  temperature range Galileo Gen 2?
          PabloM_Intel

Hi PeteFJ,

I’m afraid this no longer applies to the Galileo Gen 2 boards, and the Intel Galileo Gen 1 is no longer available (unless some of the sellers have some units available). So you’ll only get the board in the standard presentation. Regarding your question about using the Galileo in -20C or colder conditions, we haven’t tried it yet, but if you’re willing to test in on your own we would really appreciate if you can post your results in the Community.

Regards,

Pablo

• 2. Re: Extended  temperature range Galileo Gen 2?
            PeteFJ

Well thanks to the cold weather, I have done some testing:

The Galileo Gen 2 board ran in -30C weather as long as it was already running. ie if turned off and let set in the cold for an hour, it did not start properly.

Somewhere around -20C it did start properly after sitting in the cold turned off for an hour.

This is is really too close for comfort for me - who knows what the board to board variability is. I suspect the cpu is the issue because the silicon chip in a cpu is usually quite a bit warmer than the surrounding when running,  (even for a low powered CPU like this) and the on board power seems fine. I am going see about getting a local cm swap the standard cpu with the low temperature version (X1001) and see if that  extends the low temperature startup range.